SiouxSports.com Forum

1st round tonight

Fetch

Crosby is a temindous talent but is the biggest puss in the NHL. He was trying to look bad ass mouthing off to Chara knowing Chara was too classy to drop the glove on a pansy like him. I dare him to mouth off to Lucic. He will get his ass sewin to his face, which might actually be an improvement.

Totally ridiculous statement. Look at all the !@#$ players like toews and Crosby have to deal with. I am not saying they shouldn't deal with it I'm just saying I would start bitching too....try to get the refs to notice.

• Upvote 1

He's been pretty good and I think the reason people don't talk about him more is because he will be solid for a couple games and then give up a bad or soft goal and people will be all over that. I am a Chicago fan and obviously want the Hawks to win the cups and would love to see it be against the Penguins, it would be a great series with so much speed and skill on the ice.

Ditto....hawks are my squad but a matchup again the pens would be priceless. Toews is my favorite players (for obvious reasons) but Crosby is a super close 2nd (because he is by far away the best/complete player on planet earth). It's tough because Bergeron is third (because his all around play is also mind boggling).

Freedom of speech. You should be able to say whatever you to want to whoever you want without being assaulted.

That's buffoonish logic and that's absolutely not true, Jerome Iginla and other black players have been called racist names on the ice and as far as I am concerned they have the right to beat the snot out of the guys that say these things. You do not have the right to say want on the ice in the NHL without consequences. You live in a dream world and have no understanding of the hockey code what-so-ever. If you skated past Milan Lucic and said something offensive to him and he took exception with it you're going to get clocked. You can't even do this in woman's hockey.

Edited by Goon

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion in this particular case makes you come across as some sort of knuckle-dragging neanderthal. Anybody who thinks it is justified to physically assault another person over mere words has a severely twisted set of morals. While there are penalties imposed for attacking another individual there are no penalties for talking trash, so yes Goon you do have the right to say what you want on the ice without consequences. Remember that old saying about sticks and stones. No rational human being with any amount of self control should get all worked up over anything that is said by another individual. If you attack somebody because you didn't like something that they said it shows that you lack composure and it also shows that they have gotten into your head which was what they intended in the first place.

"knuckle-dragging neanderthal"? C'mon Dave, you are better than that.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion in this particular case makes you come across as some sort of knuckle-dragging neanderthal. Anybody who thinks it is justified to physically assault another person over mere words has a severely twisted set of morals. While there are penalties imposed for attacking another individual there are no penalties for talking trash, so yes Goon you do have the right to say what you want on the ice without consequences. Remember that old saying about sticks and stones. No rational human being with any amount of self control should get all worked up over anything that is said by another individual. If you attack somebody because you didn't like something that they said it shows that you lack composure and it also shows that they have gotten into your head which was what they intended in the first place.

So you're saying it's okay and you condone calling a player that might be a member of a minority group, an ethnic slur on the ice. Because it's all in the context of the game? ... So, let's try this, I dare you to walk into a bar out west, walk up to the biggest rough neck you can find and talk smack to him and then tell him that you have freedom of speech and he has no right to respond to you with violence. Make sure that I am out there with you, because I want to see this happen. You have no idea about the hockey code.

I am done talking to you, because my five year old and my who is uninterested when it comes to hockey, understands the hockey code better than you. Oh in closing, have you gotten into any more arguments at youth hockey?

Edited by Goon

Your making Goon sound likea goon which he's not in my opinion, what I'm saying and I'm pretty sure goon feels the same way, I don't mind

fighting in hockey sometimes people need to be taught a lesson. If your going to run your mouth make sure you can back it up or your gonna be considered a chicken sh*t and I'm sure players will be gunning for you IMO

People must be accountable for all of their actions, including their words. Morality is not subject only to actual physical action...Nurembourg anyone??

To me, the morality issue is simply whether or not the response is commensurate with the stimulus...call me ugly, and I am licensed to give you a black eye. Quid pro quo. Threaten the safety of my wife and children- different response.

• Upvote 1

Pretty good break down by Joe Haggerty

The Bruins likely left the Pens barn last night wondering what Pittsburgh was smoking to attempt to carry out a game plan tailor-made for the Black and Gold.

While it’s true the Penguins were able to get four power play chances out of all the bad hockey behavior, Crosby of all people seemed to be taken completely out of his game. He missed on a couple of early chances, and was otherwise neutralized by Bergeron, who was concentrated fully on shutting down Crosby's. Pittsburgh's center, who many consider to be the face of the NHL, was on the ice for both of David Krejci’s goals, lost 6-of-17 draws with many of them coming against No. 37 and had little impact on the game before going after Tuukka Rask, of all people, at the end of the second period as the Bruins goaltender skated off the ice.

That little act of hockey bravery caught the ire of Chara, and Pittsburgh’s captain backed away from the 6-foot-9 behemoth until refs and other players stood between them. At that point, Crosby started swearing menacingly while looking up at the meanest, toughest player in the NHL -- and looked pretty weak while doing it.

This is golden.

At least Crosby got his last sentence correctly, because it’s hard to comprehend the rest. Did he think his Penguins team was the one being bullied? It was Cooke who served the dirtiest hit of the night, and it was Malkin that began throwing punches at the head of Bergeron, who's had four concussions and counting in his NHL career. Sure, the Bruins fought back at every turn, but very few times were they the instigator in any of the events of Game 1.
Edited by Goon

Haha, Dave....do you understand the kinds of things which are being said during the game? What is your stance on boxing, or the MMA for that matter?

What do you mean taught a lesson? What lesson is being taught? There is no rule against talking trash, and there is nothing in the rule book that gives somebody a free pass to attack you if you do talk trash to them. Your logic here is nonsensical.

Actually there is....you can get unsportsmanlike conduct which is 2 or 5 minutes depending on the severity. Actually you can get booted too.

• Upvote 1

Haggerty is an unobjective Boston homer. The Bruins are the dirty team, the Penguins are just standing up to the bully. That is all.

First thing I have agreed with you on since the nickname I believe. Now were moving in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

For mouthing off to an opponent? I've been following hockey since the late '70s and can't think of a single example of what you're describing. Mouthing off to a ref, yeah. I get that one. But mouthing off to an opponent... not only do I not remember an example of that ever happening, I have never even heard of that being subject to penalty. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt as I do not know for a fact 100% that I'm right on this, but let's just say I'm very skeptical.

All from the NHL Rule Book for 2012-2013. I tried to just quote items that referred to offensive words or gestures.

Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct

75.1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct – Players and non-playing Club

personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must

endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during or after the

game, on or off the ice and any place in the rink. The Referees may

assess penalties to any of the above team personnel for failure to do

so.

NOTE: When such conduct is directed at an official, Rule 39 – Abuse

of Officials shall be applied.

75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be

assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive

language or gestures directed at any person.

75.3 Bench Minor Penalty - A bench minor penalty for unsportsmanlike

conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) When a player, Coach or non-playing Club personnel throws any

object onto the ice from the players’ or penalty bench (or from any

other off-ice location) during the progress of the game or during a

stoppage of play.

(ii) Any unidentifiable player or any Coach or non-playing Club personnel

uses obscene, profane or abusive language or gesture directed

towards any person.

(iii) Whenever Coaches and/or non-playing Club personnel uses obscene

or profane language or gestures anywhere in the rink.

75.4 Misconduct Penalty - Misconduct penalties shall be assessed under

this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any player who persists in using obscene, profane or abusive

language directed towards any person after being assessed a minor

or bench minor penalty under this Rule.

(iii) Any player who persists in any course of conduct (including

threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions)

designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.

75.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – Game misconduct penalties shall be

assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) If a player persists in any course of conduct for which he was

previously assessed a misconduct penalty.

(ii) Any player who uses obscene gestures on the ice or anywhere in the

rink before, during or after the game. The Referee shall report the

circumstances to the Commissioner of the League for further

disciplinary action.

(iii) Coaches and non-playing Club personnel who have previously been

assessed a bench minor penalty for the use obscene or profane

language or gestures anywhere in the rink. A confidential report to the

Commissioner shall be completed and filed with the League for

possible further disciplinary action.

Any player or non-playing Club personnel penalized under this

section may be subject to supplemental discipline under Rule 28.

• Upvote 1

All from the NHL Rule Book for 2012-2013. I tried to just quote items that referred to offensive words or gestures.

Thank you. I have seen this called for players trash talking many times. 99% goes uncalled but it happen all the time.

I just saw the dirty elbow by Brown on Toews from the last game...Not a very good video... I will get it up if I can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyBSB0PIZJw

Was the hit that bad? I know it was looked at but they allowed Brown to play tonight. Long story short, you hate the guy when he goes against your squad but you'll like him once the Olympics roll around. He is a solid player. And I would love to have some that hits that much on my line. He does have a few questionable hits though.

What I find interesting is that fighting is considered "part of the game" in hockey, but in most other sports, it is not tolerated at all. Fighting in the NFL or NBA means a stiff fine and/or suspension. Fighting in MLB (with the exception of the occasional pitcher-hitter fights over pitch location) is also met with a zero tolerance mentality. Is it the sticks? Is it the fact that hockey is faster than all the sports I listed above? Or is it based in the origins of the game and the working-class, blue-collar environment from which it emerged? I wonder what everyone else thinks because I think it's a combination of all of those things.

What I find interesting is that fighting is considered "part of the game" in hockey, but in most other sports, it is not tolerated at all. Fighting in the NFL or NBA means a stiff fine and/or suspension. Fighting in MLB (with the exception of the occasional pitcher-hitter fights over pitch location) is also met with a zero tolerance mentality. Is it the sticks? Is it the fact that hockey is faster than all the sports I listed above? Or is it based in the origins of the game and the working-class, blue-collar environment from which it emerged? I wonder what everyone else thinks because I think it's a combination of all of those things.

I think this has something to do with it. It is the type of people playing the game. With basketball, the fans are too close to the game. With football...well someone would honestly die. Baseball is similar....fighting isn't prevalent but does happen.

• Upvote 1

Was the hit that bad? I know it was looked at but they allowed Brown to play tonight. Long story short, you hate the guy when he goes against your squad but you'll like him once the Olympics roll around. He is a solid player. And I would love to have some that hits that much on my line. He does have a few questionable hits though.

I don't like how he leads with the elbow all of the time, I am surprised that he hasn't been suspended more. Although I think you will see him suspended more if he continues down this path, much like Marchand got his ass in a jam for his slew foots. L.A. fans are up in arms about Richards being out with a concussion tonight.

• Upvote 1

I don't like how he leads with the elbow all of the time, I am surprised that he hasn't been suspended more. Although I think you will see him suspended more if he continues down this path, much like Marchand got his ass in a jam for his slew foots. L.A. fans are up in arms about Richards being out with a concussion tonight.

Brown did it again tonight, leading with his elbow attempting to check Duncan Keith. Fortunately Keith fell and Brown missed.