SiouxSports.com Forum

1st round tonight

Fetch

Brown did it again tonight, leading with his elbow attempting to check Duncan Keith. Fortunately Keith fell and Brown missed.

Pushing hard for Hawks this series....but I did not see Brown attempt to elbow Keith. The way Keith fell backwards it just looked that way. I honestly think that Brown goes so hard and so fast into his hits he cannot control himself...he is just trying to make contact. Have you ever heard him explain his hits....I really don't think he tries to be dirty. Up until late last year he was one of the hardest working body checkers in the league. Then he had that dirty hit in the playoffs last year and people actually started to focus in on him. When you play with reckless abandon and try to hit everything that moves, sometimes they can look dirty. Again, I'm not a LA fan whatsoever but I do like Greene and Brown. Call him dirty all you want but if I was building a team from scratch I would want a player like him on the team.

I just saw the Cooke hit from last night. Although Cooke is a major POS, I don't think his hit was as deliberately dirty as Marchands. Brad knew what he was doing and Cooke was going for the hit and McQuaid spun. Whatever's whatever though. Bruin's own coach noted McQuaid has a responsibility to protect himself.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Pushing hard for Hawks this series....but I did not see Brown attempt to elbow Keith. The way Keith fell backwards it just looked that way. I honestly think that Brown goes so hard and so fast into his hits he cannot control himself...he is just trying to make contact. Have you ever heard him explain his hits....I really don't think he tries to be dirty. Up until late last year he was one of the hardest working body checkers in the league. Then he had that dirty hit in the playoffs last year and people actually started to focus in on him. When you play with reckless abandon and try to hit everything that moves, sometimes they can look dirty. Again, I'm not a LA fan whatsoever but I do like Greene and Brown. Call him dirty all you want but if I was building a team from scratch I would want a player like him on the team.

I didn't call him dirty, so please don't create straw dogs.

Yes, he plays hard, but the rules of hockey say that the onus is on the player attempting a body check to control himself. Reckless abandon is no excuse for leading with your elbow.

Setting that aside, he's one of the NHL's best players and I have a natural liking for hard nosed guys who play both ends of the rink and can also score. (Matt Frattin, Brad Malone, Travis Zajac, to name just 3 of UND's alumni.)

If I were to call you ugly you would not have the right to give me a black eye. Not that I would call you ugly as I'm a nice guy who doesn't go around putting people down unprovoked, and in society there is no need to get in somebody's head to take them off their game like in sports, but hypothetically speaking there is a law against physically assaulting people but no law against mouthing off to people or putting them down.

Libel, slander, sedition, terroristic threats...there are laws against words. Assault by definition is verbal. If it becomes physical it is battery.

Libel, slander, sedition, terroristic threats...there are laws against words. Assault by definition is verbal. If it becomes physical it is battery.

By any chance do you practice law? And I agree as well by the way. Hence the assault and battery.

Edited by Goon

not a lawyer, but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...a couple business law classes in B school, but that was mostly contract law.

A single shot to the chin or snout of an idiot shooting there mouth off will never be charged or prosecuted.

I do not support or condone pugilism in most cases, but in some cases...people need to be informed that certain things will not be tolerated. sometimes a right cross speaks most loudly.

• Upvote 1

not a lawyer, but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...a couple business law classes in B school, but that was mostly contract law.

A single shot to the chin or snout of an idiot shooting there mouth off will never be charged or prosecuted.

I do not support or condone pugilism in most cases, but in some cases...people need to be informed that certain things will not be tolerated. sometimes a right cross speaks most loudly.

I believe in the old, act like you been there before, respect your opponent and I also learned don't write checks your body can't cash. When I was an MP in the Army I learned that you could escalate or de-escalate a lot of situations based on how you talked to people. A good way to get popped in the chin was to escalate things and talk to people like they were garbage or get cocky with them.

This freedom to act like an ass and say whatever you want to people is bunch of bunk. I was in a bar one night and this guy I know said if I start a fight do you have my back. I you start a fight you're going to be on your own. If someone came and started a fight with you for no reason that would be different. The Hockey Code is kind of about respect in my opinion.

Edited by Goon

I believe in the old, act like you been there before, respect your opponent and I also learned don't write checks your body can't cash. When I was an MP in the Army I learned that you could escalate or de-escalate a lot of situations based on how you talked to people. A good way to get popped in the chin was to escalate things and talk to people like they were garbage or get cocky with them.

This freedom to act like an ass and say whatever you want to people is bunch of bunk. I was in a bar one night and this guy I know said if I start a fight do you have my back. I you start a fight you're going to be on your own. If someone came and started a fight with you for no reason that would be different. The Hockey Code is kind of about respect in my opinion.

You hit it on the head. It is about respect. The hockey code has always been about respect. I absolutely detest fights that erupt from good, hard, clean hits. I completely condone a player defending themself...if I'm getting cross checked in the back of the neck and I turn around and tell a guy to do it to my face, and he skates away, he is a punk. If I do that and he says "let's go"...well...so be it.

I take every chance I can to de-escalate any situation I'm in- its just not worth it. That said however, I would defend my family, myself, and their and my honor. That said, I haven't been in a scrap since a drunken college brawl in the 90's...I'm also not a pro athlete competing at a very high level of emotion with lots of physicality...

Fighting would be unnecessary if everyone treated everyone with respect, but we know that doesn't happen.

Back to the questions about lawyers...is disrespecting someone using the power of the law or the power of money any different than disrespecting someone with words or fists? I'd actually advocate that words and fists are much more honest, with less detrimental impact (99.9% of the time).

• Upvote 1

I didn't call him dirty, so please don't create straw dogs.

Yes, he plays hard, but the rules of hockey say that the onus is on the player attempting a body check to control himself. Reckless abandon is no excuse for leading with your elbow.

Setting that aside, he's one of the NHL's best players and I have a natural liking for hard nosed guys who play both ends of the rink and can also score. (Matt Frattin, Brad Malone, Travis Zajac, to name just 3 of UND's alumni.)

Settle down buddy, I wasn't assuming you said he was "dirty" but many others on this site think he's a dirty player and how you initially said "he did it again" made me think you were one of those guys. I just wanted to respond because I saw that hit and there was more than what you can see in a replay that goes into it. Anyways, my bad for you taking it the wrong way.

Respectfully....look at who wrote the article. I like a ton if the stuff u write but come on man. Can't just put something out there from Boston based news. It's not line Boston doesn't have any iffy players on the team (ference, Marchand, etc). I hate that it sounds like I'm sticking up for Cooke.

Respectfully....look at who wrote the article. I like a ton if the stuff u write but come on man. Can't just put something out there from Boston based news. It's not line Boston doesn't have any iffy players on the team (ference, Marchand, etc). I hate that it sounds like I'm sticking up for Cooke.

Then don't, there is no excusing what Matt Cooke has done over the years. He ended the career of a Boston forward in Marc Savard, I also am sick of Pittsburg fans defending him as if he is some kind of a victim and he’s misunderstood. If he left the game tomorrow, the NHL would be better place for it…

Think of it this way, if you would, imagine if the wonderful D-bag has ended the career of Alexander Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews or Sidney Crosby people would probably hold him in a different light. I don’t know if you do twitter but there are quite a few writers out there that few similar to this.

When you listen to him talk, he sounds like a sociopath.

You can bring up Andrew Ference, and Brad Marchand both guys together don't equal a third of the douchebaggery that Cooke has committed over the years. Neither of the said players have ended the careers of anyone or been suspended 31 games by the NHL. 31 > 7

Edited by Goon

Then don't, there is no excusing what Matt Cooke has done over the years. He ended the career of a Boston forward in Marc Savard, I also am sick of Pittsburg fans defending him as if he is some kind of a victim and he’s misunderstood. If he left the game tomorrow, the NHL would be better place for it…

Think of it this way, if you would, imagine if the wonderful D-bag has ended the career of Alexander Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews or Sidney Crosby people would probably hold him in a different light. I don’t know if you do twitter but there are quite a few writers out there that few similar to this.

When you listen to him talk, he sounds like a sociopath.

You can bring up Andrew Ference, and Brad Marchand both guys together don't equal a third of the douchebaggery that Cooke has committed over the years. Neither of the said players have ended the careers of anyone or been suspended 31 games by the NHL. 31 > 7

True. I was specifically focusing on the hit from Saturday...I know who Matt Cooke is. I also know that he knows that the league is watching him very closely. I also saw the hit on mcquaid and thought mcquaid should not have spun when he knew Cooke was flying at him. But, I wouldn't shed a tear if Cooke was gone.

• Upvote 1

I am thinking of hosting a party when he's gone.

Haha. Him and Torres are just part of a different generation. They are wired differently than a lot of guy in the league now. The game has gotten too fast to be attempting hits and play the way they do.