SiouxSports.com Forum

1st round tonight

Fetch

And the Pens are sitting Fleury.

Vokoun to replace Fleury in net for Game 5

Very interesting. Vokoun is a very good backup, but if this game goes wrong for them tomorrow, this could blow up in their face. If they lose tomorrow night, the Islanders will take this series. Although, if Vokoun steps in and plays well, the team could very well rally around him. I guess decisions like these are why Bylsma gets paid the big bucks.

Any time you start questioning your goaltending, that's not a good sign for your team.

Better luck next yr Wild - Go Hawks rest of this yr

It's the same tired old crap from the Mild (I mean Wild). Have a nominal winning record, sneak in the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed and lose in the first round in 5 games. I called this last summer when everyone else was going bananas about Parise and Suter. It will take this franchise years to recover from the Rip Van Winkle regime of Jacques Lemaire and Doug Risebrough. The team has changed some in the past couple of years, but it's still primarily built on 60 minutes of backchecking by the forwards and eeking out wins with a 1 to 2 goal per game offense. That might work in the regular season against crappier teams, but once you get in the playoffs, you can't shut the really good teams down all the time. Chicago is proving that this year, as if it needed any proving.

Somehow, I don't think Parise and Suter signed those big contracts to keep playing the same tired old system that doesn't work. They better go and get some depth for this team or else tickets will become much easier to get as people go find something entertaining to do instead.

It's the same tired old crap from the Mild (I mean Wild). Have a nominal winning record, sneak in the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed and lose in the first round in 5 games. I called this last summer when everyone else was going bananas about Parise and Suter. It will take this franchise years to recover from the Rip Van Winkle regime of Jacques Lemaire and Doug Risebrough. The team has changed some in the past couple of years, but it's still primarily built on 60 minutes of backchecking by the forwards and eeking out wins with a 1 to 2 goal per game offense. That might work in the regular season against crappier teams, but once you get in the playoffs, you can't shut the really good teams down all the time. Chicago is proving that this year, as if it needed any proving.

Somehow, I don't think Parise and Suter signed those big contracts to keep playing the same tired old system that doesn't work. They better go and get some depth for this team or else tickets will become much easier to get as people go find something entertaining to do instead.

True. The Blackhawks are probably the prototypical team in terms of a squad built from the draft. I have a lot of respect in that. Besides hossa they really didn't have to spend to much money, if any, on outside help. GM does a great job there. I guess I forgot about sharp but he really wasn't the player he is today when before he arrived in Chicago.

Goon do you have that Crosby goal from last night...I don't have NBCSN but I heard it was saucy.

• Upvote 1

True. The Blackhawks are probably the prototypical team in terms of a squad built from the draft. I have a lot of respect in that. Besides hossa they really didn't have to spend to much money, if any, on outside help. GM does a great job there. I guess I forgot about sharp but he really wasn't the player he is today when before he arrived in Chicago.

Umm...how about the trades for Leddy and the goalie-go-round in the past few years? Major role players from a few years ago were jettisoned almost immediately after the cup win (Big Buff, Kris Versteeg, etc.). This team is built around trades more than you think.

Major salary cap issues broke that team up.

Talon was a great color guy in the booth, but spent money like crazy when he was the GM.

He liked to sign guys near the end of their careers & pay big bucks to them.

It was mostly his team that won the Cup but they couldn't keep it together.

Bowman has it together & may have built a team that can stay near the top of the league for a few years.

• Upvote 1

Word out of New York is that Charles Wang doesn't want to make any changes to Islanders jersey after move to Brooklyn. Problem is that arena management is urging a brand overhaul (a la New York Nets vs New Jersey Nets) because they don't like the idea of Islanders colors (which also happen to be New York Knicks colors) in the Barclays Center. It'll be a shame if the Islanders logo and jersey disappear from the NHL.

Umm...how about the trades for Leddy and the goalie-go-round in the past few years? Major role players from a few years ago were jettisoned almost immediately after the cup win (Big Buff, Kris Versteeg, etc.). This team is built around trades more than you think.

??? Hahaha, I'm talking about pulling in stars rather than building them. Leddy was still in college when that trade happened (he actually underperformed that year too) so no one new what type of player he was going to be. FYI, Leddy isn't great yet...he has a great D partner. He's solid though. Also, they traded those players (all who were drafted by the Hawks I believe or who came up through Rockord) for additional role players/draft picks so, again, they are not going out and trading all their picks for top end talent....they build it. Are simply disagreeing with me to disagree...you do that a lot. Many NHL fans know that ChiTown has built their team as good/smart as any other team out there.

Bam! :o)

• Upvote 1

Televised gang fighting (with sticks on Ice) is fun to watch

Poor Toews wants to be tough & he would like to be a bully but he just aint there yet but he has come a long ways