SiouxSports.com Forum

Schedule: 2013-14

bincitysioux

Any idea what the parameters or cost for that deal was? NDSU has gotten some good games out of it, though the majority have been on the road. Wondering how many of those they would have been able to get on their own and if they think it was worth

it.

I'm not sure how the financial side works. The real incentive for partnering with the Gazelle Group happens in 2014-2015 when three teams will be coming to Fargo as part of an early season tournament.

• 4 weeks later...

Doing a google news search with the words "North Dakota, basketball, Schedule, " there are hits, but mostly NDSU. Nothing new to report. A lot of higher level teams have already issued their schedules. Wisconsin has so far released six non-conference games, but not a UND game. Hopefully, UND can get in a decent tournament. Sure there will be three NAIA teams for home games, just like NDSU.

Think UND may be in the RPI range now where it might be a potentially dangerous team (especially with becoming senior laden and with front court depth) that 150-20 range teams no longer consider a sure win, and where UND really doesn't want to schedule less than 250 RPI (it already sees too many in the Big Sky). Getting home and home games are never easy.

What I have pieced together from other Big Sky conference schools and the women's schedule

12/21 UNC

1/2 @ SUU

1/4 @ UNC

1/9 ISU

1/11 Weber

1/16 @ Montana

1/18 @ Montana State

1/23 Sac State

1/25 NAU

1/30 @ EWU

2/1 @ PSU

2/6 @ Weber

2/8 @ ISU

2/13 Montana State

2/15 Montana

2/20 @ Sac State

2/22 @ NAU

2/27 PSU

3/1 EWU

3/6 SUU

The only ones that I am not sure on are the UNC and SUU games, just guessing based on the women's schedule. If they put theirs out before ours, I'll update. Otherwise Im pretty sure of 16/20 based on research

The two best non-conference home games that I saw were NDSU in late November and SDSU in early December. I think the rest of the conference schedule basically mirrors the women's schedule except for one double header. I haven't heard anything about non-conference road games.

The two best non-conference home games that I saw were NDSU in late November and SDSU in early December. I think the rest of the conference schedule basically mirrors the women's schedule except for one double header. I haven't heard anything about non-conference road games.

1) Hopefully the NDSU game is NOT scheduled over Thanksgiving weekend

2) Any rumbles on who are playing at home for non-conference besides NDSU and SDSU. Is Omaha coming up this year?

I'm not sure that there will be much to add to for home non-conference...other than a few tune up schools (small schools). When you're talking about a 20 game conference schedule, and then 2 to 3 "money" road contests....plus we have to go to Bowling Green for a return game this year...I believe or maybe that's next year? (not sure) There probably isn't whole lot of room left in the schedule of 29 or 30 games to get a quality mid major D1 coming into The Betty. South Dakota State and NDSU would put us at 26, 27, or 28. Depending on whether we have 1 or 2 small schools and whether we have 2 or 3 money games.

The reality on the Crown College's is that they are necessary. Every school schedules down for a minimum of 1 to 2 games. For us and other Big Sky/Summit Schools that means playing the Valley City's, the Montana Tech's and Waldorfs, of the world. For Big Schools such as Kansas...that's playing teams like us. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

I thought Omaha, had to return a trip due to bracket busters, but I'm not sure it has to be this year or next.

NOVEMBER

Nov. 13 Minnesota Morris Grand Forks, N.D.

Nov. 19 Wisconsin Madison, Wis.

Nov. 24 North Dakota State Grand Forks, N.D.

Nov. 29 Oregon Tournament (TBA) Eugene, Ore.

Nov. 30 Oregon Tournament (TBA) Eugene, Ore.

DECEMBER

Dec. 1 Oregon Tournament (TBA) Eugene, Ore.

(Oregon, Cal Poly and Pacific are participating teams)

Dec. 7 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.

Dec. 11 Bowling Green Bowling Green, Ohio

Dec. 15 Presentation College Grand Forks, N.D.

Dec. 21 South Dakota State Grand Forks, N.D.

Dec. 29 Northern Colorado* Greeley, Colo.

JANUARY

Jan. 2 Southern Utah* Grand Forks, N.D.

Jan. 9 Idaho State* Grand Forks, N.D.

Jan. 11 Weber State* Grand Forks, N.D.

Jan. 16 Montana* Missoula, Mont.

Jan. 18 Montana State* Bozeman, Mont.

Jan. 23 Sacramento State* Grand Forks, N.D.

Jan. 25 Northern Arizona* Grand Forks, N.D.

Jan. 30 Eastern Washington* Cheney, Wash.

FEBRUARY

Feb. 1 Portland State* Portland, Ore.

Feb. 6 Weber State* Ogden, Utah

Feb. 8 Idaho State* Pocatello, Idaho

Feb. 13 Montana State* Grand Forks, N.D.

Feb. 15 Montana* Grand Forks, N.D.

Feb. 20 Sacramento State* Sacramento, Calif.

Feb. 22 Northern Arizona* Flagstaff, Ariz.

Feb. 27 Portland State* Grand Forks, N.D.

MARCH

Mar. 1 Eastern Washington* Grand Forks, N.D.

Mar. 4 Northern Colorado* Grand Forks, N.D.

Mar. 6 Southern Utah* Cedar City, Utah

Mar. 13-15 Big Sky Tournament TBA

Home games listed in BOLD | * Big Sky Conference games

NDSU is going to be at the Betty. Should be a great atmosphere and home court advantage, but the University is leaving a lot of coin on the table by not having it at REA or Alerus..............

24th is a Sunday. Hopefully it will be more lively than the Sunday crowd last year in the dome. Having it in the Betty will help.

24th is a Sunday. Hopefully it will be more lively than the Sunday crowd last year in the dome. Having it in the Betty will help.

Last years game in the Fargodome was hampered by a blizzard. I was at the game and if I wasn't within walking distance I wouldn't have gone.

About NDSU game at the Betty...it's about time. The team shouldn't have to give up home court advantage for big home games. They never get to practice on the court at the The Ralph when they play games there. There's different shooting backgrounds etc... I think one way to offset seat $'s lost is to put "premium" pricing on the tickets. I wouldn't blink at tickets between 25 or 35 for this game. I'm going to want to be there and be a part of this... after the Vikings and Packers game that day of course.

About NDSU game at the Betty...it's about time. The team shouldn't have to give up home court advantage for big home games. They never get to practice on the court at the The Ralph when they play games there. There's different shooting backgrounds etc... I think one way to offset seat $'s lost is to put "premium" pricing on the tickets. I wouldn't blink at tickets between 25 or 35 for this game. I'm going to want to be there and be a part of this... after the Vikings and Packers game that day of course.

Think what the thinking is is to force people to buy season tickets to get assure they can get in the NDSU game. That in turn should raise attendance for all the other games, as many of those tickets would then be used that otherwise wouldn't be bought. Bison fans likely will be shut out of attending unless they buy season tickets.

Dexter Albrecht @dexteralbrecht

Schedule for @UNDMBasketball is out. #NDSU in the Betty. Will be a tough ticket. Season tix is the best way to guarantee a ticket for that.

Personally, think a 10,000 attendance game at the Ralph would go a long way in attracting recruiting interest and pay a lot of basketball bills. Don't mind NDSU fans paying to support UND athletics.

Is this where the addition to the Betty came into play? With expanded bleachers at each end of the court and the new storage addition will house those bleachers?

Schedule breakdown pros and cons

Pros:

-The Oregon tourney will be solid. Poly and Pacific finished in the top 3 in the Big West conference last year and Pacific went to the NCAAs last year. Oregon coming off a sweet 16 run.

-Love the trips to Butler and Wisconsin. The Badgers are always near the top of the BIG 10 and rarely lose at home and Butler will be Butler in the new Catholic Confer.. errr I mean Big East.

Cons:

-Need to get USD on the schedule.

-Just a personal con for me but SDSU on the 21st when the students are gone? ouch

Overall:

Definitely an upgrade over last year and will work to challenge and get this squad ready for the Sky. Hopefully they can make some early noise and knock off a couple teams.

I agree with all that. And of course with the bigger venue, there would be more FU fans there. But this is one high interest game that can be counted on annually between the two schools. I have never missed the football game much, but I really missed the basketball game while it was on hiatus. This series is a great way to build interest in North Dakota basketball, so I'm conflicted about turning away probably somewhere between 3,000-4,000 people that would otherwise not attend a Sioux basketball game. I also agree that playing in REA somewhat diminishes the home-court advantage due to all the reasons you said, but the majority of the crowd would be decidedly pro-North Dakota, so that would negate some of that. Also playing in front of 7,000-10,000 people in an early season game I would think would help the players get acclimated to that environment when they are playing in front of similar sized crowds later in the year at Weber, Montana, the Big Sky Tourney, and hopefully the NCAA's.

Just my two cents.

Think what the thinking is is to force people to buy season tickets to get assure they can get in the NDSU game. That in turn should raise attendance for all the other games, as many of those tickets would then be used that otherwise wouldn't be bought. Bison fans likely will be shut out of attending unless they buy season tickets.

Personally, think a 10,000 attendance game at the Ralph would go a long way in attracting recruiting interest and pay a lot of basketball bills. Don't mind NDSU fans paying to support UND athletics.

Is this where the addition to the Betty came into play? With expanded bleachers at each end of the court and the new storage addition will house those bleachers?

Also agree with all that. If it sells a few more season tickets that is great. North Dakota can and will probably charge double for this game, and that will make up for a good portion of the monetary loss of not playing in REA. The Sioux Center provides a fantastic atmosphere for basketball due to its intimacy, and I know it will be very raucous in there, but the REA is quite an experience for basketball when there is 7,000+ in there as well.