SiouxSports.com Forum

Schedule: 2013-14

bincitysioux

I agree with all that. And of course with the bigger venue, there would be more FU fans there. But this is one high interest game that can be counted on annually between the two schools. I have never missed the football game much, but I really missed the basketball game while it was on hiatus. This series is a great way to build interest in North Dakota basketball, so I'm conflicted about turning away probably somewhere between 3,000-4,000 people that would otherwise not attend a Sioux basketball game. I also agree that playing in REA somewhat diminishes the home-court advantage due to all the reasons you said, but the majority of the crowd would be decidedly pro-North Dakota, so that would negate some of that. Also playing in front of 7,000-10,000 people in an early season game I would think would help the players get acclimated to that environment when they are playing in front of similar sized crowds later in the year at Weber, Montana, the Big Sky Tourney, and hopefully the NCAA's.

Just my two cents.

Also agree with all that. If it sells a few more season tickets that is great. North Dakota can and will probably charge double for this game, and that will make up for a good portion of the monetary loss of not playing in REA. The Sioux Center provides a fantastic atmosphere for basketball due to its intimacy, and I know it will be very raucous in there, but the REA is quite an experience for basketball when there is 7,000+ in there as well.

Selling out a year or 2 in the Betty may be a way to create interest. Tickets being scarce can sometimes drive even more demand. So maybe they are trying to create even bigger crowds in the future by limiting the number of tickets sold this year. Or maybe the coaches just wanted to maintain the home court advantage of playing in the Betty, especially if they want to try and build the team for a shot at the conference title.

Selling out a year or 2 in the Betty may be a way to create interest. Tickets being scarce can sometimes drive even more demand. So maybe they are trying to create even bigger crowds in the future by limiting the number of tickets sold this year. Or maybe the coaches just wanted to maintain the home court advantage of playing in the Betty, especially if they want to try and build the team for a shot at the conference title.

I'm sure it was a combination of both. The Sioux Center is awesome when it is full and rowdy. My best experience there was in 2007 for the women's regional. The place was packed and rowdy as hell. North Dakota will definately have a major home court advantage there for a game against FU. I'm sure it will entice more people to buy season tickets. Perhaps even me, as I've been on the fence about season tickets for basketball for a couple years now.

Part of me though, just wants to read "Attendance: 8,123" in the box score the day after the game.........................

I really hope they get more seats in the Betty or allow people to stand. Not getting into the game against NDSU due to space would be a killer for both students and community members.

Agreed, they need to improved their seating behind each end. It would also be nice if they gave students better seating, like they do with hockey.

Just wondering are students able to bring books and things with them.I hope they do; otherwise, I too will miss alot of sporting events I want to attend this year. I used to bring homework for pregame and halftime at my junior college.

Agreed, they need to improved their seating behind each end. It would also be nice if they gave students better seating, like they do with hockey.

Behind the baskets is where most colleges place their student section. As for the bleachers, until they put permanent seating in (not any time soon), those bleachers are about as good as it will get. And until students start showing in force up for more than 1 game every other year, then it may be time to talk about some changes. Hopefully with the potential this team has, student support will improve.

Behind the baskets is where most colleges place their student section. As for the bleachers, until they put permanent seating in (not any time soon), those bleachers are about as good as it will get. And until students start showing in force up for more than 1 game every other year, then it may be time to talk about some changes. Hopefully with the potential this team has, student support will improve.

That is correct, you can't overhaul anything for one game. Tickets are going to be at a premium to get for the NDSU game. But until there is some consistent changes in behavior by fans, both students and general public, meaning attending more than just 1 game....then this is what we have. Even if 100 students regularly embraced basketbal (meaning: were loud and rambunctious)- that would be an improvement. The fact that the students get into some games to get out of standing in line for hockey- but just come and sit and stare really is no benefit to our basketball teams. Let's face it most of these same students come from towns that didn't have high school hockey and basketball was the big sport- it's not like they can't figure out how to cheer and be rowdy at a basketball game.

I will be moved in early to Swanson this fall due to my job training on campus, and I was wondering if fans show up at all for the Alum Volleyball game. I would love to get practice getting the student section cheering. Is it the current vs. the older, or intermixed? Green Team, many students can only make one sport or the other during the weekend, and I myself would rather go to the basketball games then hockey games. I will for sure go to a game or two, but most Saturdays I will be at the Betty if play is on.

108498, I certainly don't worry about you, as your passionate and try to make it work when you can. Isn't that all, anyone can ask? And I don't want to be to harsh to our students either, as there are more things competing for a persons time than when I went to school...a long long time ago. Work, studies, different organizational involvement all are difficult to schedule around. I just hope that when students are able to make it....they are pro-active. I think David Primus posted on one of the threads here, that traditions and student involvement is best left up to the students to figure out, otherwise it won't take. I agree. I just hope that when we have students this year a small group of them begin to start their own traditions and then other students as they discover things, begin to latch onto those and it builds on itself. Being that the NDSU game is so early, it should be easy to get off to a good start.

If I have one piece of advice to our general fans who are out of school. Don't be too critical of our students when they come up with cheers and chants. They are trying to figure it out. What will work and what doesn't. They most undoubtedly, will from time to time either go up to the line or even cross it. But that's part of the learning process. Obviously someone needs to step in if the students are completely out of bounds. I for one think are students are smarter than some give them credit for. Otherwise the fact that they are willing to try things should be encouraged and allowed to flourish.

Green Team I would love to meet you at a game. I am a bit shy around new people, but would love help getting cheers going. I will likely be at a lot of the early home events including soccer, volleyball and football. Please come say hi. I will be trying a pregame strech and a I believe chant going for volleyball moving into Basketball. For football I will be trying to get a red zone defense cheer going.

Do you know if people show for the Alum game in Volleyball?I am thinking of going.

Green Team I would love to meet you at a game. I am a bit shy around new people, but would love help getting cheers going. I will likely be at a lot of the early home events including soccer, volleyball and football. Please come say hi. I will be trying a pregame strech and a I believe chant going for volleyball moving into Basketball. For football I will be trying to get a red zone defense cheer going.

Do you know if people show for the Alum game in Volleyball?I am thinking of going.

Most likely won't be much of a crowd for the alum game. It's basically just a chance for the team to run through their game routine before the season starts. The tournament that takes place the Friday and Saturday after the first football game would be a great place to start getting loud. It's early in the semester and there are some very recognizable names coming to the Betty. I'm guessing the marketing department will be very vocal about students coming out to those games.

So the Alum game isn't a game like situation then. Do they break into teams like the spring game? I think I will try to be brave and start cheering at the Alum game if they at least have a game like event. Does anyone know what the police for student tickets are for tournament games. I am guessing they cost, but how much?

So the Alum game isn't a game like situation then. Do they break into teams like the spring game? I think I will try to be brave and start cheering at the Alum game if they at least have a game like event. Does anyone know what the police for student tickets are for tournament games. I am guessing they cost, but how much?

It's very much like the spring football game. They do it like a dress rehearsal for a home game with the current team playing the alums. For tournament tickets I believe students have to pay for the non-UND games but the UND games are free like normal home games. Don't quote me on that but I think that's how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Any idea why UND can only get 2 DI teams to Grand Forks? And they are NDSU, and SDSU. How about some MW teams, or MAC teams. We need some home and homes with teams to increase support for basketball, because while playing at Wisconsin and Butler are good hosting Presentation, Minn-Morris, the Jacks and Bison isn't going to stir up too much interest.

Any idea why UND can only get 2 DI teams to Grand Forks? And they are NDSU, and SDSU. How about some MW teams, or MAC teams. We need some home and homes with teams to increase support for basketball, because while playing at Wisconsin and Butler are good hosting Presentation, Minn-Morris, the Jacks and Bison isn't going to stir up too much interest.

Exactly. You'd at least think that we could get a home game with Northern Iowa every other year.

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly. You'd at least think that we could get a home game with Northern Iowa every other year.

Good luck with that. Consider any quality home games you get from teams outside the region a gift. It's the nature of being a lower tier D1 basketball program. Both NDSU and SDSU go through it as well as.

Programs don't like to travel to lower tier places and lose more revenue than they already are. It just doesn't benefit them in any way, shape, or form.

Good luck with that. Consider any quality home games you get from teams outside the region a gift. It's the nature of being a lower tier D1 basketball program. Both NDSU and SDSU go through it as well as.

Programs don't like to travel to lower tier places and lose more revenue than they already are. It just doesn't benefit them in any way, shape, or form.

Acutally, they have been here recently and will likely be back. Their coach has ties to UND.