SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I think this one didn't hurt as bad because this wasn't as good a team, for whatever reason, and the result, the better team that day winning, seemed just. It reminded me of 1999 in that BC that day was just better; a very good Sioux team couldn't get anything going all day.

Looking back at the "outs", the ones that kill me are the ones where UND outplays the other team and leaves the ice having played their last game. Looking back,

1998: Karl gets injured in practice and UND goes down in flames, giving Yost probably its most fantastic moment. The Sioux played hard and well, but goaltending was a problem.

1999: BC stifled a great team, and pretty much deserved to win.

2001: An unbelievable performance by Jeff Panzer led a great Sioux effort, one that should have probably led to the first back-to-back in a long time. Scott Clemmenson said otherwise.

2002: No NCAA game.

2003: The Sioux played hard and had the puck a lot, but Ferris Wheel State flew around and converted a number of high energy plays in a blowout.

2004: Tied for the worst result ever, UND has the puck the whole game, and Denver scores on a deflection on their first shot of the period with 3+ minutes left in the game. This one would take a long time to get over.

2005: A Sioux team, a mash unit, whatever. Immediately post-Bina, this team went on a run, won the beanpot and left a trail of terrified forwards in its wake. Another game where the final score didn't reward the team that had the better of the play and chances. DU goaltended their way to another.

2006: The kiddie-corps of forwards was brilliant, but the defensive group of four young freshmen plus Smaby was in over its head. Even so, this team was doing everything right except scoring, while BC was picking corners on odd-man rushes. The bad angle goal JP gave up in the second put the brakes on the comeback until it was too late.

2007: DOT played well but Brian Boyle's long reach kept breaking plays up. If not for some extremely unfortunate plays/calls late in the third, this could have gone UND's way.

2008: Neither 2006 nor 2007 were embarrasments, but this one was. You could see this coming when Princeton skated circles around UND in the regionals only to suffer their unjust loss.

2009: Shaking my head at how UNH had no answer for a brutish top line (created for that game) of VV, Frattin and Malone, then 0.01. It felt like UND was the better team but had trouble keeping UNH at bay in the third. The 0.01 made this one linger ... and linger.

2010: Yale hadn't played in two weeks and looked like they were shot out of a cannon, and UND was tired and looked every bit of it. They were game and made it close, but this was not one where Yale lucked into the win.

2011: See 2004. Not really over it yet.

2012: Worn out, overmatched, used up their miracle, but this was a hell of an effort by everyone involved..

2013: No excuses like fatigue, just outplayed by a team that deserved their win. Had a few bounces gone differently, the result could have been different. I wonder if the Frozen Four might have gone like 2008.

The best teams here? 1998, 1999, 2004, 2011. Maybe 2006/2007 a notch lower.

Soul crushing defeats (played great and deserved better): 2001, 2004, 2005, 2011.

Played even at best, or outplayed. Not an unfair result: 1999, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013.

Excellent post.

For this season, I think the actions of a few that resulted in suspensions really affected trust and team chemistry throughout the season. Nothing jelled because the players that should have been leaders weren't early on. It's one thing to have a party. It's another to purposely mess with a teammates body with the end result of causing a hospital visit.

2004: Tied for the worst result ever, UND has the puck the whole game, and Denver scores on a deflection on their first shot of the period with 3+ minutes left in the game. This one would take a long time to get over.

2011: See 2004. Not really over it yet.

Great post.

2004 and 2011 still hurt. Easily the two best Sioux teams of the last decade and both got shutout in their last game after dominating play the entire game.

Making the NCAA field isn't that difficult to do. More than 1/4 of the college teams make it as there are less than 60 schools playing hockey.

The recruiting tool called Englestad Arena should get you the players to get that done. Then it is time to have a coach that wants to win games.

I get tired or hearing him say, "we learned from this", when they lose a game. Winning is important, if it wasn't why do they keep score.

Yeah, I bet Hak hates winning.

• Upvote 1

To actually warrant looking at a new coach, the following would have to occur IMO:

1. Fail to earn home ice for playoffs for two years

2. Fail to make conference tourney for two years

3. Fail to make NCAA tourney for two years

The standards have gotten low around here. Top 3 program in the country with the best arena in the land and simply making the NCAA tournament and being a regular season 'powerhouse' is enough these days to satisfy the fan base. Based on the rosters that each team has in the WCHA, it would be damn near impossible for UND to finish outside of the Top 6 every year in the league. They have 14 NHL draft picks. So they are going to get home ice pretty much every year, which they have.

When a program is the bigtime, upper echelon program in its division, it usually wins a NC title every so often. Look at every other sport (BB - Duke, UNC, Kentucky....FB - Alabama, Texas, Florida, USC). And when those teams or other programs near their level don't win a national championship over a prolonged period: their coach is fired or run out or changes are made (see UCLA basketball, Florida State football).

I guess I don't understand the complacency year after year when it comes to this program. There are multiple people pissed off on this board and want things shook up but there are more that love the way its going and are happy with the results. Losing in the NCAA tourney to teams that are not as good as you, year after year, is a bit of an issue IMO.

I will add that I have no idea who a better coach would be. My point is simply from the surface, more pointed to how the fan base is reacting (or not reacting) to the continuous losses in the NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 2

1998: Karl gets injured in practice and UND goes down in flames, giving Yost probably its most fantastic moment. The Sioux played hard and well, but goaltending was a problem.

Respectfully disagree. UND had this game in the bag at 2-0 and Yost Arena reduced to cricket-chirping. Aaron Schweitzer played very well in relief of Goehring and the 3-2 loss could hardly be blamed on 'problem' goaltending. I was there...it was an incredibly well-played hockey game. The X factor was Yost and the crowd that came to life when the score was 2-0 and Michigan potted a goal. I thought the roof blew off the building and just KNEW Michigan was going to come back and win.

NoDak beats Michigan 6-1 if that same game would have been played in Grand Forks...regardless of who the Sioux goalie was. The sight of Jason Blake leading the team off the ice afterward is one I won't forget. Stunned.

• Upvote 1

The standards have gotten low around here. Top 3 program in the country with the best arena in the land and simply making the NCAA tournament and being a regular season 'powerhouse' is enough these days to satisfy the fan base. Based on the rosters that each team has in the WCHA, it would be damn near impossible for UND to finish outside of the Top 6 every year in the league. They have 14 NHL draft picks. So they are going to get home ice pretty much every year, which they have.

When a program is the bigtime, upper echelon program in its division, it usually wins a NC title every so often. Look at every other sport (BB - Duke, UNC, Kentucky....FB - Alabama, Texas, Florida, USC). And when those teams or other programs near their level don't win a national championship over a prolonged period: their coach is fired or run out or changes are made (see UCLA basketball, Florida State football).

I guess I don't understand the complacency year after year when it comes to this program. There are multiple people pissed off on this board and want things shook up but there are more that love the way its going and are happy with the results. Losing in the NCAA tourney to teams that are not as good as you, year after year, is a bit of an issue IMO.

I will add that I have no idea who a better coach would be. My point is simply from the surface, more pointed to how the fan base is reacting (or not reacting) to the continuous losses in the NCAA tournament.

I agree with you 100%, but don't think you'll change the minds of the "In Hak we trust" crowd. There is a whole generation of fans that weren't even alive the last time this program was King of the Mountain. And they are being taught that it really doesn't matter if it never happens again. And that is simply not the program I grew up watching and supporting. I have said it before and I will continue saying it no matter how much I get ripped for saying it: The longer we go without an NCAA title, the more it will negatively impact recruiting and the overall image of the program. Kids will start passing up UND in favor of programs with more national success, if it hasn't started happening already. At some point in the future, something has to give or else we run the risk of becoming an also-ran, has-been program. We were there in the early 1990's and it was ugly and painful. I don't want to go back to that.

• Upvote 1

You can't compare us to FB, they put the top programs in the title game! Duke has only 4 titles in 22 yrs ( they went 9 yrs between titles) UNC has only 3 in the past 20 yrs (they went 12 yrs between titles), and Kentucky has 3 titles in the past 17 yrs ( also going 18 yrs between titles).

You actually thought we were better than Yale? They are a lot better than you think!

You can't compare us to FB, they put the top programs in the title game! Duke has only 4 titles in 22 yrs ( they went 9 yrs between titles) UNC has only 3 in the past 20 yrs (they went 12 yrs between titles), and Kentucky has 3 titles in the past 17 yrs ( also going 18 yrs between titles).

You actually thought we were better than Yale? They are a lot better than you think!

Let's see how they do next week. If they get smoked 6-1, a lot of the Yale cheerleaders on this forum are going to look silly.

I don't think fans are complacent; they're grounded and realistic and don't believe that not winning a national championship in nine years is grounds for firing. I'm not going to go through Hak's accomplishment's, because it has been done ad nauseam, but they're slightly more than just making the tournament every year (which is much more difficult than seemingly every Fire Hak charlatan thinks).

Also, please don't compare other college sports to hockey, because they simply don't correlate. There are a number of options for hockey other than college, and hockey recruiting is more competitive than ever and probably more so than any other major college sport. Basketball recruits have only one viable avenue to pursue, especially if they want to play professionally, and that's college basketball. There is no Canadian league, and a player cannot jump directly to the NBA from high school. Unless you're Brandon Jennings and go play in Europe for a season before entering the draft, you're going to college. On that reason alone there's a larger talent pool for college basketball. Not to mention basketball if more popular. Sure there are about 300 more teams, but there are a small fraction of elite programs even though recruiting becomes increasingly competitive every year. You know what else? You can win a national championship in basketball with three, four, or five stud freshman. That would never happen in college hockey. The development tracks for these players are in different solar systems, which is why 18-21 year old kids have been playing and excelling in the NBA for years, and why very few hockey players in that age group even see minimal ice time in the NHL. In college football there are about 120 D-1 programs, and probably about 10-15 who can get any player they want. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are several options for hockey players, whereas there is really only the college path for football and basketball. That dilution of available talent coupled with the competitiveness of recruiting make it much more complicated than simply being North Dakota and having a nice arena.

And just wanting to "shake things up" simply because, well, they just should be shaken up, is not a stable argument.

How interesting to bring up Florida State football and Texas football while making your points about changes being made in a program if national championships don't happen. Now let's look at some facts:

Bobby Bowden was the coach of Florida State from 1976-2009. During that time, he won exactly TWO national championships, 1993 and 1999.

Mack Brown is the coach of the Texas Longhorns and has been since 1998. He has won ONE national championship, in 2005. Their last title was in 1970, obviously without Mack Brown there.

What was your point again? Are you suggesting that Bowden should have been canned long before 2009? Fire Mack Brown?

I agree with you 100%, but don't think you'll change the minds of the "In Hak we trust" crowd. There is a whole generation of fans that weren't even alive the last time this program was King of the Mountain. And they are being taught that it really doesn't matter if it never happens again. And that is simply not the program I grew up watching and supporting. I have said it before and I will continue saying it no matter how much I get ripped for saying it: The longer we go without an NCAA title, the more it will negatively impact recruiting and the overall image of the program. Kids will start passing up UND in favor of programs with more national success, if it hasn't started happening already. At some point in the future, something has to give or else we run the risk of becoming an also-ran, has-been program. We were there in the early 1990's and it was ugly and painful. I don't want to go back to that.

We're North Dakota. We recruit future NHL players. We have the best arena in the world. We have the best fans in the history of hockey. We're ENTITLED to sit in the stands and watch teams win national championships, right?

You know what's funny about the 'fire Hak' crowd? I have yet to hear a name suggested of someone who they think would do a better job...and who would take it. I recall Dean Blais being hired as coach? Who? A HIGH SCHOOL COACH? A former Gopher player? He can't handle the pressure...this is COLLEGE hockey. Now he's some sort of god to some people at UND even though UNO has done nothing in his tenure there. So let me get this straight...we want to FIRE a coach based on his present record of not winning titles and re-hire a FORMER coach based on his success 10-15 years ago? Why not talk to Gino while we're at it, after all, he knows national championships too.

• Upvote 2

How interesting to bring up Florida State football and Texas football while making your points about changes being made in a program if national championships don't happen. Now let's look at some facts:

Bobby Bowden was the coach of Florida State from 1976-2009. During that time, he won exactly TWO national championships, 1993 and 1999.

Mack Brown is the coach of the Texas Longhorns and has been since 1998. He has won ONE national championship, in 2005. Their last title was in 1970, obviously without Mack Brown there.

What was your point again? Are you suggesting that Bowden should have been canned long before 2009? Fire Mack Brown?

1. Florida State became a national power under Bowden and then at their peak won 2 NC's in 6 years. Then, once they were established as a national power, they didn't win a damn thing for 11 years. Guess what happened? Bowden was run out. The Alums were not happy with anything less than a NC.

2. Mack Brown is currently on the hottest seat in all of college football. They have not won a NC in 8 years and the natives are extremely restless. He had to fire his entire staff as a job saving measure. If that does not work, he is gone within a year or two. The Alums are not happy with anything less than a NC.

My point is there is little to no restlessness in this fan base. I was always under the assumption that UND was the best program in the country, with arguments coming from Minnesota or BC or Michigan. I may have been wrong. When you lose twice in 4 years to Yale at the national tournament, I would expect people's angst to raise at least a little bit.

I will make one argument here in the kentucky basketball one. they won the title last year, however their previous one was 14 years earlier in 1998. so even the best programs have their droughts. the wildcats have also had 18 and 20 title droughts as well.

Can I assume that you also:

1) Never went to class or did any homework. You just showed up for the final test and accomplished exactly what you invested.

2) You never read a book. You only turn to the last two pages just in time to read the ending.

3) if ever invited on a Canada fishing trip you would show up at the border as the group was coming home, just to claim your share of the catch.

4) You don't date, but plan to show up for your wedding and get introduced to your bride.

5) When it comes to having kids, you won't participate in the conception, but show up at the hospital just in time for labor.

Please take the above as tongue-in-cheek.

I have season hockey tickets and drive two hours each way for every home game. I traveled to St. Cloud, Omaha, Mankato, St. Paul for the entire Final Five, and to Grand Rapids for the regional. Along the way I witnessed a group of young men gaining experience and sharing a dream. I met many new people and gained some friends. I witnessed hundreds of Sioux fans surround the team and cheer them on as the team left the field at TD Ameritrade Park (and had a three day trip turn into five days). I saw beaming little kids walking out of Van Andel arena in Grand Rapids carrying a Fighting Sioux hockey stick handed to them by a player after the loss to Yale. I saw the end of the WCHA Final Five tournament as we know it. I participated in the Hoggsbreath Siouxsports.com brunch as I have every year. I saw Tate Maris get playing time in a non-exhibition game. I got to hear the team introduced as the North Dakota University Fighting Sioux in Grand Rapids over the weekend. And along the way I got to watch my favorite sport, college hockey. And I can hardly wait for next season to start.

I cannot even imagine having gone through the past decade without experiencing the DOT line, Mike Prpich, Ratislav Spirko, Evan Trupp, the 6-3 victory over the Gophers in last year's Final Five, and many other players and events associated with Fighting Sioux hockey.

We all have different expectations on how we do the journey. I like my method as much as you like yours. :bigsmile:

I know the first part of your post is tongue in cheek, but the difference is that in all the examples you gave, I would be an active participant. My actions would determine the outcomes, be they positive, negative, or neutral. When it comes to Sioux hockey, I have no effect on the outcome of the games. If I donate $100 million to the university, go to every game, buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, and yell as loudly as I can, it doesn't matter. The outcome is still in the hands of 20 year old kids, coaches whom I only know through their public personas, and part-time referees.

Honestly, I wish I could forget about the ways in which UND has been bounced from the tourney since I went to UND. I wish that the fond memories outweighed the bitter defeats, but I've just never been wired that way, going back to the sports I participated in. I made the decision to cheer for the Sioux in this manner after last year's loss to the Gophers. Not out of spite for the program, but rather for my own sanity. The Sioux can play such an enjoyable brand of hockey, they continually kept sucking me into thinking this was they year they would finally win again, only to bring everything crashing down in the tourney. Without the regular season, I don't get the raised expectations. I don't sit in disbelief come tourney time wondering how a team that could play so masterfully just a few weeks ago can look so lost. It was liberating this season. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

question is is when did the standards get set so low?

Maybe you guys are right. Fire Hakstol...and if the next guy can't get it done in two years, fire him too. Then the bar becomes anything LESS than a Frozen Four appearance every single year is grounds for automatic termination. Would that make the 'we're North Dakota...we DESERVE a national title so go get us one NOW' crowd?

I will make one argument here in the kentucky basketball one. they won the title last year, however their previous one was 14 years earlier in 1998. so even the best programs have their droughts. the wildcats have also had 18 and 20 title droughts as well.

What move did they make in the middle of that drought?

What move did they make in the middle of that drought?

say UND listened to you and fired hakstol tomorrow, who would they bring in that start winning national titles left and right, steve johnson?(mr. can't stay at a place longer than three years) carey eades?(not a chance in hell on that one for the reasons he wasn't renewed) sandelin(based off of one lucky year after years of being in the basement). blais(how many national titles did he win after they changed the format of the tournament). is haksto lthe greatest coach in the country, no. is he pretty damn good and puts us in position to where we can win every year, yes.

1. Florida State became a national power under Bowden and then at their peak won 2 NC's in 6 years. Then, once they were established as a national power, they didn't win a damn thing for 11 years. Guess what happened? Bowden was run out. The Alums were not happy with anything less than a NC.

2. Mack Brown is currently on the hottest seat in all of college football. They have not won a NC in 8 years and the natives are extremely restless. He had to fire his entire staff as a job saving measure. If that does not work, he is gone within a year or two. The Alums are not happy with anything less than a NC.

Point 1: Dead wrong. From 1987 to 2000, Florida State finished with at least 10 wins and was ranked at the end of the season in the top 5 in the AP coaches poll. it was only after the team's steady decline starting with the 2001 season that ultimately led to his being forced out.

Point 2: Mack Brown isn't on the hot seat for not winning national titles...he's on the hot seat for his last three regular season records of 5-7, 8-5, and 9-4.

say UND listened to you and fired hakstol tomorrow, who would they bring in that start winning national titles left and right, steve johnson?(mr. can't stay at a place longer than three years) carey eades?(not a chance in hell on that one for the reasons he wasn't renewed) sandelin(based off of one lucky year after years of being in the basement). blais(how many national titles did he win after they changed the format of the tournament). is haksto lthe greatest coach in the country, no. is he pretty damn good and puts us in position to where we can win every year, yes.

My threads are not calling for Mr. Hakstol's head. I am trying to get into the thought process of this fan base and wonder why they are so complacent with 8th place finishes every other year when they have a Top 3 program.

The only answer I have gotten is "who else is better"? Really, thats your answer? Like no other coach in the country could lead UND to an 8th place finish at the NCAA tournament in a division of 60 teams. NOBODY could possibly do that.

We're North Dakota. We recruit future NHL players. We have the best arena in the world. We have the best fans in the history of hockey. We're ENTITLED to sit in the stands and watch teams win national championships, right?

You know what's funny about the 'fire Hak' crowd? I have yet to hear a name suggested of someone who they think would do a better job...and who would take it. I recall Dean Blais being hired as coach? Who? A HIGH SCHOOL COACH? A former Gopher player? He can't handle the pressure...this is COLLEGE hockey. Now he's some sort of god to some people at UND even though UNO has done nothing in his tenure there. So let me get this straight...we want to FIRE a coach based on his present record of not winning titles and re-hire a FORMER coach based on his success 10-15 years ago? Why not talk to Gino while we're at it, after all, he knows national championships too.

Hak could be fired and I would not care mostly because I do not like the guy. Beyond that though I have to agree with the supporters here and question who would do any better? This year was just one of those years that nothing seemed to work. But how easy and not surprising it will be if they end up on top next year? I have learned one thing over many years of watching college hockey is: what you think should happen doesn't. What you think shouldn't happen does. Then we all get up the next day and go back to our life's and what really matters. We let this stuff bother us way to much.

Point 1: Dead wrong. From 1987 to 2000, Florida State finished with at least 10 wins and was ranked at the end of the season in the top 5 in the AP coaches poll. it was only after the team's steady decline starting with the 2001 season that ultimately led to his being forced out.

That is exactly what I said. You basically repeated what I wrote and then said I was dead wrong. Huh?

Bowden turned them into a national power, won 2 NC's, then over the next 10 years he didn't win a thing and was run out. Did we not just say the exact same thing?

Steve was in Lincoln for a lot of years. You would not change your job for career advancement?