SiouxSports.com Forum

And so it ends...

MafiaMan

It was kind of tough walking out of the rink tonight. Not sure when I'll get back to the X. Maybe a regional in the future? Maybe a frozen four?

The NCHC tourny won't hold a candle to the Final Five. But we'll follow the Sioux a few miles west next year.

Also sad that the same night is the last time behind the bench for Jack Parker. One of the true great individuals in college hockey. I'm hopeful we see him around the college game in some capacity.

I had a chance to go down to the Wild Locker Room today and I asked Zach Parise what he had to say about the WCHA changing.

Former Fighting Sioux and current Wild forward Zach Parise was asked about his thoughts on the changes the WCHA will go through after the season is over.

“I think it’s brutal, if you ask me,” Parise said. “I don’t like it. I was a big fan of that league, and the rivals that were developed in that league; I think it’s a bad idea.”

When asked who he though would win tonight’s Red Baron WCHA Final Five Broadmoor Championship game between Wisconsin and Colorado College. Parise said, “I would say Wisconsin, but I won’t be watching because North Dakota’s not playing.”

Edited by Goon

It's amazing to see all the empty seats at other conference tourneys...

No way Pig 10 or National draw F5 attendance...

Pig 10 especially.... only reason they'll get 10k a session is it's a home game for MN.

Well said Mafia, it hit us last night also. Saying goodbye to our gopher fan friends in front of us, our badger fans behind us. Saying, hope to see you to our pioneer fans next to us. This thing sucks.

Mafia, we also watched a conversion of a gopher fan to a Sioux fan in front of us! I helped, last year I bought the little guy a Sioux hat, his dad had to give in and buy him a Sioux jersey! He wore both on Thursday with such pride it was awesome! His dad Ted asked if he could take a picture of us and I said absolutely. His little boy stood right in front of me! Great times, the people of other fan bases, the atmosphere, and the outstanding hockey will be missed........

17,000 fans, wearing mostly maroon and gold or green and white, cheering rabidly for teams not their own. The greatest college hockey conference ever known now turns the page to an uncertain future. The WCHA as we know it is no more. To fans of Minnesota State, Bemidji State, Alaska-Anchorage, and Michigan Tech, thank you for the memories. MSU...I always enjoyed the 70 mile road trip and 'ole ole ole'...AA...I remember the standing ovation that greeted you at the 2004 Final Five, your first FF ever, and your opening game upset of CC...Michigan Tech...another great road trip to copper country...and Bemidji State...your incredible run to the Frozen Four a few years ago and the excitement you brought to the WCHA after that. It's an absolute travesty that everyone else is leaving you behind.

To the fans in section 102, rows 8, 10, 11, and 12, who sat around us in row 9 for the past 12 years, all the best. I had a lady Gopher fan hug me tonight and tell me that she will miss seeing my group every March at the Final Five. I swear...she had tears in her eyes. I made friends with fans from SCSU, UMD, CC, and even Minnesota during my time here. Hell, I even watched a four year old Gopher fan turn into a twelve year old Sioux fan. So happy to make your 2011 Final Five by getting some Sioux players to sign your jersey. I'm glad you joined our team. Your parents are still welcome to join you.

To LSSU, Northern Michigan, Ferris State, Bowling Green, Alaska, and Alabama-Huntsville...you have big shoes to fill. May your programs be successful and may your affiliation with the WCHA be everything you hope for. I will cheer for you every time you play a Big 10 team.

2001-2013. The X. The greatest tournament in the greatest hockey city around. The king has fallen...long live the king.

Couldn't have said it any better.

17,000 fans, wearing mostly maroon and gold or green and white, cheering rabidly for teams not their own. The greatest college hockey conference ever known now turns the page to an uncertain future. The WCHA as we know it is no more. To fans of Minnesota State, Bemidji State, Alaska-Anchorage, and Michigan Tech, thank you for the memories. MSU...I always enjoyed the 70 mile road trip and 'ole ole ole'...AA...I remember the standing ovation that greeted you at the 2004 Final Five, your first FF ever, and your opening game upset of CC...Michigan Tech...another great road trip to copper country...and Bemidji State...your incredible run to the Frozen Four a few years ago and the excitement you brought to the WCHA after that. It's an absolute travesty that everyone else is leaving you behind.

To the fans in section 102, rows 8, 10, 11, and 12, who sat around us in row 9 for the past 12 years, all the best. I had a lady Gopher fan hug me tonight and tell me that she will miss seeing my group every March at the Final Five. I swear...she had tears in her eyes. I made friends with fans from SCSU, UMD, CC, and even Minnesota during my time here. Hell, I even watched a four year old Gopher fan turn into a twelve year old Sioux fan. So happy to make your 2011 Final Five by getting some Sioux players to sign your jersey. I'm glad you joined our team. Your parents are still welcome to join you.

To LSSU, Northern Michigan, Ferris State, Bowling Green, Alaska, and Alabama-Huntsville...you have big shoes to fill. May your programs be successful and may your affiliation with the WCHA be everything you hope for. I will cheer for you every time you play a Big 10 team.

2001-2013. The X. The greatest tournament in the greatest hockey city around. The king has fallen...long live the king.

Well done.

I loved the "B1G Mistake" banner and the "Big Ten Sucks" sign at the game last night. And both were initiated by Gopher fans. That tells you how special the WCHA and this tournament have become......and how sad it is that it's over. :sad:

We will build a new tradition in the NCHC, but you cannot replace what the WCHA built over the past half century or so.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic tourney with great times.

Some great moments of course are the Wheeler in OT, Grant P with a late game tourney winner. But selfishly my favorite was the 2003 Gophers/MSU semi final. I'm for some reason holding $500 worth of tickets to the championship game which if the Gophers lost to MSU, the final would be MSU and CC. Trailing into the third period, Grant P ties it up. Then watching twenty minutes of scoreless hockey until Vanek bails me out in OT.

The last few years with my son playing a lot of hockey has reduced my passion for college hockey, but it sucks that when I'm ready watch it closely again the Final Five won't be happening.

Congrats to champions UM, UND, UMD, DU, SCSU, Northern Michigan and of course nasty UW!

Fantastic tourney with great times.

Some great moments of course are the Wheeler in OT, Grant P with a late game tourney winner. But selfishly my favorite was the 2003 Gophers/MSU semi final. I'm for some reason holding $500 worth of tickets to the championship game which if the Gophers lost to MSU, the final would be MSU and CC. Trailing into the third period, Grant P ties it up. Then watching twenty minutes of scoreless hockey until Vanek bails me out in OT.

The last few years with my son playing a lot of hockey has reduced my passion for college hockey, but it sucks that when I'm ready watch it closely again the Final Five won't be happening.

Congrats to champions UM, UND, UMD, DU, SCSU, Northern Michigan and of course nasty UW!

I'd rather Minnesota won the last Final 5 than Wisconsin. Still bitter about Alvarez. I feel he was the catalyst that started the B1G hockey conference and the break up of the greatest college hockey conference in history.

I now cheer AGAINST Wisconsin in every sport. Screw 'em.

• Upvote 1

Well said. Change is never easy. New tourneys will happen. New rivalries will be formed. Will it be the same? No. Will we still support our favorite sport? Absolutely!

I never wanted the weekend, to end, from lunch at the Hoggsbreath, to the closing McGoverns on Friday night and closing Tom Reids on Saturday night, and wings at Reids before I drove home. I feel a whole in my heart, this was an awesome deal, there is no way they will ever get to replicate this again.

I never wanted the weekend, to end, from lunch at the Hoggsbreath, to the closing McGoverns on Friday night and closing Tom Reids on Saturday night, and wings at Reids before I drove home. I feel a whole in my heart, this was an awesome deal, there is no way they will ever get to replicate this again.

Through the years there has always been something that has come up or gone wrong at the last minute that has kept me from this weekend...sure enough this year turned out the same way.

One of my biggest regrets in life as not being able to share all this ........very envious.

Through the years there has always been something that has come up or gone wrong at the last minute that has kept me from this weekend...sure enough this year turned out the same way.

One of my biggest regrets in life as not being able to share all this ........very envious.

This weekend, had the feel of a funeral, where you lose a good friend, maybe the games were a bit of fair-well, as well.

Some great moments of course are the Wheeler in OT, Grant P with a late game tourney winner. But selfishly my favorite was the 2003 Gophers/MSU semi final.

I think Rastislav Spirko's undressing of Chris Harrington is a far better memory than Wheeler's fluky play...and UND's three-peat including the 6 goal barrage is at the top of any Sioux fan list of FF good times.

JK...Wheeler's goal was obviously very impressive.

Suckiest moment? 2001 FF title game. Clearly goaltender interference on SCSU on the winning goal. How the goal call stood up is still a mystery to me.

• Upvote 3

The NCHC is going to be great. Sure we are ring to miss the likes of Minnesota and Wisconsin. But we will have new teams and some old ones as well. Remember how we all felt when the old NCC broke up with No. Colorado leaving and then NDSU and SDSU? It sucked. This rivalries were gone. Eventually there was the invite to the Big Sky. There was a lot to look forward to. Looking at back at just one season in the big Sky for especially basketball and football, you can see that it is gone be a great conference with some great rivalries. The WCHA will be missed, but I am looking forward to new rivalries and new traditions in the NCHC.

• Upvote 1

Solid post Mafia Man. Well said. The NCHC will develop a great tradition and following. The world is ever changing and so too does the world of college hockey change. Alvarez claimed it would expand college hockey. I continue to disagree. No word of the Pig Ten adding anyone and more than a few WCHA schools must be looking at the prospects of dust in the wallet with shrinking gates and big travel budgets. I hope that the WCHA schedules its tournament on an off week from the NCHC. If it does, I'll be there enjoying WCHA hockey with alot of you folks who live in the Cities.

I always enjoy when Choker fans automatically assume that we are all from Grand Forks and ask where we are staying and when we are "going home." The merchants love us. The college hockey world love us. Even the good Gopher fans love us. I always like to tell folks when they suggest I "go home" that home is where the heart is and that is wherever North Dakota Hockey is being played. I especially like to tell the Choke fans that I, and many other North Dakotans, were part of a little known social engineering program of Wendell Anderson's from the mid-70's. Wendy was a great hockey fan. He looked around Minnesota and agonized that his subjects did not really know much about the game, or how or what constitutes a penalty. He quietly recruiting many of us to move from North Dakota to Minnesota so that we would raise the collective hockey intelligent quotient in his then, and sadly still, sorry state.

I love to tell Choker fans that when I left North Dakota thirty-five years ago as part of that little known program, the IQ levels in BOTH states went up dramatically.

Long live the Fighting Sioux. Long live North Dakota Hockey.

Raising Number Eight after four more wins.

• Upvote 3

Ah, NDH. You are a treat. And I mean that with the greatest respect. :)

MafiaMan, while I'd like to agree with you on 2001 I've watched that replay a couple of times since then and have been forced to accept the decision by the refs. Roche pushes the SCSU player into our goalie. The crux is whether it was hard enough to cause the interference and while that's debatable I'm fine with the call even though it cost the game.

I had similar emotions as MafiaMan this weekend. No time to get into detail now...maybe later, but will be sorry to not see many familiar faces of people whose names I didn't even know, but for 2-3 days in March we were essentially friends.

And this, people, is the benefit of getting a ticket package with the same seats every year. You fall into a little community of sorts....