SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practices

WeAreNorthDakota

I agree that 60/40 isn't outrageous but whatever they decide to do they need to do a better job of taking pressure off of the defense. Defense was on the field far too much to be successful last year.

We need to be able to run the ball and give the defense a breather. You can't be successful with a one dimensional team. We need balance, and if you can run the ball successfully you can beat them with a play action pass. Whatever they decide 50-50, 60-40 or 99-1, just win the game!!

We need to be able to run the ball and give the defense a breather. You can't be successful with a one dimensional team. We need balance, and if you can run the ball successfully you can beat them with a play action pass. Whatever they decide 50-50, 60-40 or 99-1, just win the game!!

Preach on!!!

• Upvote 1

You can't win if you can't run. That is a fact. Pass happy offenses are fun to watch but they rarely have long term sustainable success. Look what Cal Poly accomplished last year. Montana has always had a balanced style. Despite what many people say, you don't need go chuck it around every single down to win in the Big Sky.

It would be interesting to see the stats but isn't football becoming more pass orientated? Not to say a team should become one dimensional.

Ravens and 49ers. Stay balanced. Ultimately passing the ball heavy will not lead to good things. Much more likely to have a bad day passing the ball than running the ball.

Ravens and 49ers. Stay balanced. Ultimately passing the ball heavy will not lead to good things. Much more likely to have a bad day passing the ball than running the ball.

Case in point...1984 Miami Dolphins. Went 14-2 got to the Super Bowl then Dan Marino couldn't pass against the Niner defense. Passing is good but you need a running game. Not like a Nebraska Cornhusker 300 yards rushing per game but enough to not rely throwing on every down.

Ultimately, in the future and in recruiting, this team should focus on being a run balanced team. Offensive football teams that can run the football can control the clock, lessen turnovers, and dictate their will; however, you can't try to be something you're not. The coaches will do what best allows them to move the ball as last year indicated, and, quite frankly, I agree with that.

If the offensive line has improved in terms of run blocking and/or a bigger RB like Sparks gets more playing time, then maybe this team will be able to consistently run the ball more successfully than last season. That remains to be seen.

• Upvote 2

Anyone know how Edwards and Lablat are looking. they are two guys who I am hoping will be able step up and be immediate contributors next year.

Labat didn't stand out today, but I've heard nothing but good things about him since his arrival at UND. I think he'll be a good one. He knows the history of defensive dominance at UND and I think he'll be right there to lead the resurgence.

Edwards is a beast, and today, had at least one solo defensive stop that got Coach K really excited.

Other thoughts from today's practice (#6):

Bartles looked the sharpest at QB, but not by much. Mollberg is still very solid and connected nicely on at least one long one where he and Hardin made the DBs look foolish. Jake H. has come a long way.

Golloday is now officially a man among boys. I predict this will be his true break out year.

Konowalski (sp.) really looks good at DB. All of the secondary looks bigger and faster, on average; however, (I never played in the secondary, but) technique seems to be where they all need a lot of improvement.

Jake Miller looked sharp at RB, but the guy that really impressed me today was Kodee Varner, with his combo of size and quickness. Sparks and Jer were in civilian clothes and DNP.

Finally, the TEs lumbered a long all practice but I think they hauled in every pass that was within their reach, by my measure. They're not burners, by any means, but they've got soft hands.

Thanks for the updates, Teeder.

I wonder why Sparks and Garman were not practicing... Are they injured?

Good question. They looked like they were ok. Walking and running around. Could be precautionary. Also did not notice #6 out on the field either (J.J. Robertson)

Thanks for the updates, Teeder.

I wonder why Sparks and Garman were not practicing... Are they injured?

undsports.com article on the practice had them as having hamstring issues. I didn't think Miller practiced either because of the same reason. Shaugaby (too lazy to look up spelling) did and it sounded like he had some nice runs.

undsports.com article on the practice had them as having hamstring issues. I didn't think Miller practiced either because of the same reason. Shaugaby (too lazy to look up spelling) did and it sounded like he had some nice runs.

Miller played the first hour of practice on Saturday and then left the field with the apparent hammy issues. The UND Sports and Herald stories only captured what happened during the live drills at the end of Saturday's practice. Miller looked explosive and had some nice cuts to make defenders miss when he was on the field Saturday.

Sounds like Bartels has had some good practices. What would you say the odds are on who starts? 50/50? I would guess 75/25 in favor of Mollberg but I have no knowledge on the situation beings I have not seen any of the QBs play yet. Do we get the sense that the coaching staff is comfortable with handing the reigns to a frosh QB or is there a chance we get a dropdown or is that too late? Won't be able to attend the spring game but I will for sure be looking forward to watching the highlights.

The Herald's scrimmage recap. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/261324/group/homepage/

“Both Ryan and Joe have a tendency to show each other up from time to time. Joe will have a very good day and Ryan will come back and get after it. Ryan had a pretty good day today. We anticipate Joe will come back and have a pretty good practice (today). “It’s a competition that will make them both better. It’s a competition that will go right up until the start of the season.”

The guys getting tackles.

Defensively, UND received five tackles from Devon Hall and four each from Ben Peters, Baylee Carr and Will Ratelle.

Practice indoors this week. This is nice to hear considering the weather.

UND is expected to practice at the Alerus Center this week, making for ideal conditions.

Nice to see a ND boy hanging in there. Keep up the good work.

“A guy that’s been pretty impressive in all of this is Jake Hanson,” said Mussman, referring to the former Grafton standout who is listed No. 3 on the depth chart. “He still considers himself in the race.”

• Upvote 2

The pairing of receiver vs d backs with be interesting. Run blocking vs the d line will also be interesting. I have liked some of the early reports. Question remains from the limited video clips is tackling.

We'll probably see a whole lot of Shaugabay and Varner. I'm hoping Konalowski can be our other reliable db opposite Darryl Brown. Other players that i can't wait to see in action are Labat Edwards Rich Rittelle the qbs and wrs.

I'm not expecting the defense to be awesome or not make mistakes. I'm hoping to see them play fast and hard though. It's time for them to take a step in the right direction and get back to playing vaunted Und defense.