SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Division I Teams?

GeauxSioux

Az St is a club team as are some of PSU's opponents this year (OK). The problem with adding a men's hockey team is that there's a Title IX legal requirement to also add a women's team & that's 2 added costs plus a rink that many universities don't want to compete with higher priority sports programs,(especially at the start when both might operate at a loss before attendance income increases for both teams). Unless they get donations like PSU & Alabama-Huntsville did to start & save their programs.

There is no inkling that this would happen but IMO the University of St Thomas would be an outstanding DI hockey school.

Under the current rules they'd have difficult time. As a DIII they'd have to follow the DIII scholarship policy -- none -- for even a DI hockey program. That was a change a while back and a few (about six) existing DIIIs playing DI were exempted/grandfathered (i.e. Colorado College).

I want to see Oregon Oregon st Washington Washington st Stanford Arizona st Arizona Utah make a PAC 12 hockey conference. And some big 12 schools like Oklahoma Texas and Oklahoma st. Also why not ndsu? That would be hilarious to watch them try and be the next Mankato.

The nice thing for NDSU is that they could play in Scheels arena, at least for a while. But I believe they have made it quite clear that they will not pursue hockey, or they would have done it a few years back when Moorhead was trying to setup a team.

As for a Pac 12 Conference, I would be all for that, I think there is definitely enough hockey interest up in the Northwest to put one together. It just comes down to startup costs for both Mens and Womens programs.

I am definitely not a fan of splitting the WCHA to create the Big 10 conference, but since it is happening, we can only hope the Big 10 continues to add teams and grow the sport. What about Rutgers or Maryland? Arn't they joinging the B1G in other sports? Maybe they have some hockey interest?

Az St is a club team as are some of PSU's opponents this year (OK). The problem with adding a men's hockey team is that there's a Title IX legal requirement to also add a women's team & that's 2 added costs plus a rink that many universities don't want to compete with higher priority sports programs,(especially at the start when both might operate at a loss before attendance income increases for both teams). Unless they get donations like PSU & Alabama-Huntsville did to start & save their programs.

ASU also is trying to decide what to do with their football stadium. They figure it should cost a couple of hundred million to do. Don't think they are going to spend money on a rink right now. They would most likely have to play in the US Airways arena and compete with the Suns for time. Right now their club team plays in arena that the high schools only practice in. AZSIOUX should remember this place on McClintock just south of McKellips and north of the 202.

IMG_0536.jpg

As watchmaker noted, in terms of money, it's not likely that ASU would join because their priorities are in football. In terms of skill, however, they are pretty consistently at the top of the club level, so they'd be a great program to switch to D1. And on the plus side, you wouldn't have to worry about being stranded there because of blizzard conditions.

I would think University of Illinois could be an option, believe I've heard it mentioned somewhere.

I thought I've heard the same thing once or twice.

Trust me, you don't want NDSU to have a hockey program as a Sioux fan. Imagine Bison fans after the first time they beat UND. Think their fans are bad now?

They may not beat UND for awhile, but it would happen at some point.

They don't want it, anyway. If they started up a hockey program they couldn't throw around the "niche sport" comment all the time.

Trust me, you don't want NDSU to have a hockey program as a Sioux fan. Imagine Bison fans after the first time they beat UND. Think their fans are bad now?

They may not beat UND for awhile, but it would happen at some point.

Big deal we dominated them for over a decade last time we played them in 'their sport'. To be scared of them winning once in a while is pretty weak. Bring it on. Imagine them trying to recruit against us and UM and Denver. Fargo has no hockey culture so I'm sure they won't even consider it with how the Force are doing.

Big deal we dominated them for over a decade last time we played them in 'their sport'. To be scared of them winning once in a while is pretty weak. Bring it on. Imagine them trying to recruit against us and UM and Denver. Fargo has no hockey culture so I'm sure they won't even consider it with how the Force are doing.

I'm not scared to play 'em. It wouldn't bother me much if we lost to 'em. It's just the Fargo crazies that surround me in this town that would drive me nuts. :)

And you're right, Fargo's hockey culture is far from GF standards, but Moorhead has a pretty strong hockey background.

And just to throw my hat in the ring of B1G schools adding hockey...Nebraska makes the most sense as I mentioned in a different thread not too long ago. Great crowd of hockey fans with the Stars. My quiet dark horse though is Purdue. It's in a great location (not far from both Chicago and Indianapolis) in a spot that lacks hockey, but has a decent hockey following. Also, Purdue has the least amount of varsity sports in the Big Ten and talks of adding more...a surplus of money being the only reason preventing it. In any case, big time donations would be required at any school.

DSCF8686.JPG

The nice thing for NDSU is that they could play in Scheels arena, at least for a while. But I believe they have made it quite clear that they will not pursue hockey, or they would have done it a few years back when Moorhead was trying to setup a team.

As for a Pac 12 Conference, I would be all for that, I think there is definitely enough hockey interest up in the Northwest to put one together. It just comes down to startup costs for both Mens and Womens programs.

I am definitely not a fan of splitting the WCHA to create the Big 10 conference, but since it is happening, we can only hope the Big 10 continues to add teams and grow the sport. What about Rutgers or Maryland? Arn't they joinging the B1G in other sports? Maybe they have some hockey interest?

I love how the B1G gets blamed for breaking up the WCHA. The WCHA would have still been the strongest conference in the NCAA had it not been for UND, DU, CC, etc going for a money grab and giving the big FU to the smaller schools left behind.

I would tend to agree that the next school to add hockey will be a B1G school, but not Nebraska.

I believe the Nebraska AD recently mentioned there are no plans to start hockey anytime soon.

He did, but chances are that any AD would say something along those lines until its official. I know they're building a new basketball arena and they're putting the cooling coils and everything in it so that it has the ability to make ice.

My guess is that it if a school wants to start it up it will be Nebraska or Illinois. The founder of Jimmy Johns is an Illinois alum and apparently likes hockey. So its a possibility.

My guess is that it if a school wants to start it up it will be Nebraska or Illinois. The founder of Jimmy Johns is an Illinois alum and apparently likes hockey. So its a possibility.

With the popularity of the Hawks right now, you would think it would be a prime opportunity for UI or Northwestern to start a hockey program.

Technically I don't think they would have to add a women's hockey team. They need to add an equal amount of opportunity. That opportunity is supposed to appeal to the female student population of the school. So they could add more scholarships to existing sports or add a less expensive sport that appeals to their female students. It will add cost, but may not be as expensive as adding women's hockey.