SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Minnesota

AZSIOUX

I think the coaching move to put Mitch on the top line stands a good chance of being a solid success. In only four games of eligibility he has shown a strong tendency to be right in the action, he knows what he is doing, he is physical enough to play in the greasy areas, he has a solid shot, and he has playmaking ability. He does not disappear out on the ice. He already could have had several goals in the four games he has played. I think he will work out fine in that slot. I thought that Knight had an off weekend, for whatever reason. He just did not seem to be his typical self. His draw percentage was not up to usual standards. I had thought Friday night that Parks would have been a good fit for that top line, but he made some unwise choices in Friday's game and his five minute major really disrupted the team flow. He just didn't seem to bring that much to the top line. Maybe it will take some more time for injury recovery to get back into the flow.

For those clamoring for Rocco in that top line role, I do not believe he would be a good fit at this time. He is getting bounced off the puck too easily with physical play. CC took him off the puck quite easily a number of times, and he made some passing choices that were not very wise. While Rocco can get to the front of the net, I don't think he can camp there like Mitch or Parks can. I also think we will see more out of him against the Gophers as the World Juniors has to have had some impact on him. Not saying he is tired, but he has been away from the team for quite some time and it must take a little time to get his UND rhythm back.

I think the coaching move to put Mitch on the top line stands a good chance of being a solid success. In only four games of eligibility he has shown a strong tendency to be right in the action, he knows what he is doing, he is physical enough to play in the greasy areas, he has a solid shot, and he has playmaking ability. He does not disappear out on the ice. He already could have had several goals in the four games he has played. I think he will work out fine in that slot. I thought that Knight had an off weekend, for whatever reason. He just did not seem to be his typical self. His draw percentage was not up to usual standards. I had thought Friday night that Parks would have been a good fit for that top line, but he made some unwise choices in Friday's game and his five minute major really disrupted the team flow. He just didn't seem to bring that much to the top line. Maybe it will take some more time for injury recovery to get back into the flow.

For those clamoring for Rocco in that top line role, I do not believe he would be a good fit at this time. He is getting bounced off the puck too easily with physical play. CC took him off the puck quite easily a number of times, and he made some passing choices that were not very wise. While Rocco can get to the front of the net, I don't think he can camp there like Mitch or Parks can. I also think we will see more out of him against the Gophers as the World Juniors has to have had some impact on him. Not saying he is tired, but he has been away from the team for quite some time and it must take a little time to get his UND rhythm back.

Thanks for all that. I agree with it, but hadn't found the time to type it up. (I have a project at work I need to put to paper as well, can you type that up also?)

Also, I think Gleason plays both nights, maybe at forward. We've seen the big ice really open things us for his skating, and I think he and Rocco especially will have moments this weekend where their speed stands out. Also, Gleason at forward gives them some insurance in case they lose a defenseman to injury or DQ.

Leaving Mitch up top still opens up the RPM line, which I've waited nine months for as well. Rowney had a way of getting open, and Mark had a way of getting him the puck.

That leaves a Rocco, Caggiula, St. Clair third line as a possibility, which worked well earlier, including at CC, I think. Which was on the big ice.

Olympic ice at the John is good for Rocco and for Mark Mac.

I do not put Rocco on that top line. I think Hak is onto something...

Knight with kristo and Mitch Mac

Rowney with Caggiula and Rocco

Mark Mac with Parks and St Clair

Pattyn with Gaarder and Gleason

I think St Clair can skate with Mac and Parks and create a very nice third line

Knight, Mark Mac, Rowney, Pattyn- that's some strength up the middle

You guys "hoping for one point, hoping for two points" sound like packer fans trying to ease the abuse if our team loses......

I say Sioux get 3 points and one Sioux player gets ejected for putting blood on the ice from a punch!! That's when the tempo for the rest of the season will begin...........

FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all that. I agree with it, but hadn't found the time to type it up. (I have a project at work I need to put to paper as well, can you type that up also?)

Hmmm. I am retired and I was known for being a good writer. I can usually whip something out in a couple of days, unless you want it to actually say something valid or get funding for a project; That might take a little longer. I did let my professional engineer license lapse, so I would have to do it as a ghost writer and let you take the blame. :D

hey it would give us two weeks to prepare for st could(a series in we match up better with the opponent) and less chance of injury by mailing it in :)

I don't see UND players mailing it in or getting hurt by team that has a propensity to yap and hide behind the officials and shy away from the physical part of the game.

You guys "hoping for one point, hoping for two points" sound like packer fans trying to ease the abuse if our team loses......

I say Sioux get 3 points and one Sioux player gets ejected for putting blood on the ice from a punch!! That's when the tempo for the rest of the season will begin...........

FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!

Amen. I am getting really tired of hearing "We don't match up well with (insert team)", unless we are playing a big, physical, slow team. It's time we take the bull by the horns and take control of our season and I can't think of a better time than now. Let's make a statement to the rest of the league. GO SIOUX!!!

Amen. I am getting really tired of hearing "We don't match up well with (insert team)", unless we are playing a big, physical, slow team. It's time we take the bull by the horns and take control of our season and I can't think of a better time than now. Let's make a statement to the rest of the league. GO SIOUX!!!

Just to add to that, I don't think UND is a slow team either... I have watched every home game this team has played in this year and this team is fast and very skilled. The reason they might not have the lines solidified is there have been a few things that have come up along the way prevented them from doing that. First Michael Parks was hurt, Grimaldi was at the WJC, They got Michael Parks back, Mitch MacMillian was finally able to play with the team. I think they coach would like to see what combinations work the best right now before he solidify's the lines for the stretch run. UND has also lost one game since December first. UND is 8-1-1 during that stretch.

• Upvote 1

Win Friday and anything can happen. We have just as much high end skill. Theres no difference there. Keep it simple on the break out and control rebounds because minny has some guys who can finish just like UND. Mac should be ready to lay a few guys out

Considering these are college kids, I think it simply comes down to playing smart and within their abilities. Play a smart game, keep things simple, don't try to do too much, and don't give the refs an opportunity to intervene. Basically, try to play like pros.

I am going to go out on a limb and say in at least one game we will lose a player to a bogus/questionable CFB penalty and on that pk we will have another questionable penalty call against us to go down 5 on 3. the gophs will have at least 12 pp's this weekend and we will have less than 5.

I am going to go out on a limb and say in at least one game we will lose a player to a bogus/questionable CFB penalty and on that pk we will have another questionable penalty call against us to go down 5 on 3. the gophs will have at least 12 pp's this weekend and we will have less than 5.

Don't think that prediction will be far off.

A lot of speculation on line combinations (which is interesting), but I don't think that is our main concern. I'm worried about our defense. With only one freshman and a highly touted D coach with NFL experience, this is not what I expected. It has been a long time since I have seen opponents camp out in front of our goal and not pay a price. So far I have not been impressed with our D either on the defensive end or in moving the puck. Along with not being very physical there have been an unusual number of horrible turnovers. Anyone have an Idea what gives. I really thought we'd be a lot better here. (note for the reactionarys - this is not a critisizm of coach Berry, just an open question)

A lot of speculation on line combinations (which is interesting), but I don't think that is our main concern. I'm worried about our defense. With only one freshman and a highly touted D coach with NFL experience, this is not what I expected. It has been a long time since I have seen opponents camp out in front of our goal and not pay a price. So far I have not been impressed with our D either on the defensive end or in moving the puck. Along with not being very physical there have been an unusual number of horrible turnovers. Anyone have an Idea what gives. I really thought we'd be a lot better here. (note for the reactionarys - this is not a critisizm of coach Berry, just an open question)

There is the problem. Wrong sport. ;)
  • Upvote 1

The coaching staff should be well aware of this, as should the veterans on the team. They know how it can be at Mariucci, and the good teams of the past have played through it and had some success there.

I remember a few years ago a TH rant when a UND player skated by a gopher player in the neutral zone who lost an edge and Minnesota got a power play out of the deal. TH must of went on for twenty minutes about the officiating at Mariucci, and about how the league was worried about having Minnesota at the final five.

I don't think its a conspiracy like that. Just play hockey, and hopefully the black and white doesn't have an impact in the game.

I think Nelson not returning set this whole thing up since it starts exactly with finding someone to play with Knight and Kristo. The dominoes fall from there as they search for the right compliment. Simply putting Rocco on that top line could avoid a lot of shuffling by allowing the reunion of a pretty successful RPM tandem from last year.

Agreed.

We're worried about penalties. The league has changed. Mac gets called all the time for plays that used to be considered clean, but are now considered too rough. He also gets called for being near players who trip over their own feet, and for being bigger and stronger than the opposition.

Gleason and Mattson are not physical players. Schmaltz isn't either, but he's a freshman, so I cut him slack. Simpson is okay in our end. Forbert is generally solid, and Mac is a beast.

Our centers also have to help out down low...its not all on the D to play D.

The Gophers players won't drop the gloves.

Helgeson almost did last night. UAA player dropped his gloves NHL style and started punching him and Helgeson was about to but after the game Budish said the team reminded each other not to do anything stupid because they had UND coming in next weekend

We're worried about penalties. The league has changed. Mac gets called all the time for plays that used to be considered clean, but are now considered too rough. He also gets called for being near players who trip over their own feet, and for being bigger and stronger than the opposition.

Gleason and Mattson are not physical players. Schmaltz isn't either, but he's a freshman, so I cut him slack. Simpson is okay in our end. Forbert is generally solid, and Mac is a beast.

Our centers also have to help out down low...its not all on the D to play D.

Its unfortunate that Mac has been sought out by the officials like he has been. Talk about good old fashioned physical hockey going out the door. A big hit is now unfortunately a penalty for him. You can tell how frustrated he is by it as well. I think the player falling down near him was another case of, "what are they going to call on me now?"

If the Gophers do get more power plays it will be because they are outplaying UND and drawing penalties. It would have nothing to do with the refs favoring the Gophers.

Its unfortunate that Mac has been sought out by the officials like he has been. Talk about good old fashioned physical hockey going out the door. A big hit is now unfortunately a penalty for him. You can tell how frustrated he is by it as well. I think the player falling down near him was another case of, "what are they going to call on me now?"

Then when he protested the phantom call, he was met w multiple F bombs by the ref.

Helgeson almost did last night. UAA player dropped his gloves NHL style and started punching him and Helgeson was about to but after the game Budish said the team reminded each other not to do anything stupid because they had UND coming in next weekend

Helgeson has had fights before, but that was in juniors where it didn't cost him playing time like it would in college. Goon made the same claims about Bickel despite the fact he too won plenty of fights before coming to the Gophers and has continued to do so in the pros.