SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Coach Housley- Leads team USA to only its third ever gold medal at World Junior tourney!

John Gibson- Takes home tournament MVP!

Rocco Grimaldi- Two goals and player of the game in the gold medal game!

Three people that were kicked around before or during the tournament!!!!!

• Upvote 1

In the Canada game, right after Rocco made a great drop pass on the break to McCabe...later he made a no look, back pass off the half boards in his own zone and it ended up right on the stick of a Canadian player standing in the slot who was 1v1 with Gibson...who stoned him.

Looked for it, can't find it, and the one I thought it was, exactly like your description, was made by Gaudreau, no matter, it makes no difference now. You're a fan of what college hockey team?

Edit: Found it, it was a Rocco turnover with a minute left in the second period, backhand pass from the boards meant for Trocheck breaking out of the dzone, but it didn't connect, went to the Canadian near the blue line. US D was still in place, and the shot was stopped by Gibson (slot is exaggerating, unless you meant very high slot). Gibson made many more difficult saves than this one, and there were many more dzone turnovers by multiple US players throughout the tourney. Second guessing, Rocco should have just backhanded the puck up the boards and out to neutral ice. Hradek had been ripping Rocco all game long, and did it again on this one; not sure why he continued the Rocco bashing, yet gave all other US players passes without comment when they turned over the puck, made a poor pass, or whiffed on defense.

Again, I saw little or nothing earlier in the tourney that warranted his sitting a game, nor did I see anything that warranted Lucia sitting two games. At any rate, Hradek singled out Rocco, for reasons we don't know, and can only speculate.

I just looked at Grimaldi's GWG against Sweden, because I was wondering if he actually did hit it with his hand. Speaking of that, does anybody know the rule on that? Do deflections off of hands not count?

Anyway, I looked at that goal again from the best angle which is behind the net, and i slowed the speed down to .25x on Youtube, and I'm almost 100% positive, that the puck hit Grimaldi's stick between his hands. Crazy fortunate, but also took a lot of skill. Very underrated goal.

rumor has it that rocco's "attitude" at the world juniors was a direct result of grant potulny having a personal grudge against rocco? if so pretty classy for the gopher..

Unsubstantiated rumor, I might add. Still doesn't explain Mario's disappearing act, especially since his daddy is Grant's boss.

Unsubstantiated rumor, I might add. Still doesn't explain Mario's disappearing act, especially since his daddy is Grant's boss.

not really a rumor actually...i should have phrased it better...very very good source says that grant was a prick to rocco but in the end Rocco got the last laugh...

not really a rumor actually...i should have phrased it better...very very good source says that grant was a prick to rocco but in the end Rocco got the last laugh...

Cant believe you actually think there's truth to this. This site is entertaining. Potulny is the reason for a UND players selfish attitude, and the refs gave the Gophers a win on a silver platter. Im just waiting for someone to blame Lucia for UND's loss last night

Cant believe you actually think there's truth to this. This site is entertaining. Potulny is the reason for a UND players selfish attitude, and the refs gave the Gophers a win on a silver platter. Im just waiting for someone to blame Lucia for UND's loss last night

Referring to the silver platter comment, it's a pattern at Mariucci. I've seen it more often than not. Dont make me drag out examples. Granted I thought it was a penalty, just not a five. No chance the Gophers win last night without that major penalty.

I think the Potulny grudge comments are laughable though. Housley's team, not Grant's.

i guess i should rephrase it again then....a very very very good source told me this is how it went down over in russia...keep in mind that housley is is from minnesota too

btw i'm more of a fb and bball guy so for me to post on the hockey side....

By your theory on Housley, since Im from Minnesota too, does that mean I, too, have a grudge against Rocco? Okay.

By your theory on Housley, since Im from Minnesota too, does that mean I, too, have a grudge against Rocco? Okay.

my theory about why rocco was treated the way he was might be clouded through my green glasses but the story about rocco/grant is true and for that to happen on a US national team is pathetic