SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Lots of people on here know what they're talking about. You'd be surprised at some of the real-life faces and names behind monikers here. I am not disputing that at all, nor am I professing to be some hockey know-it-all.

Oh I know. I think a lot of people would be shocked if they knew who was behind the monikers.

Just maybe Housley benched Rocco to send a message to the team.....no one is above the team. In their 2 losses, rocco was argueably the most dynamic player on the ice for the U.S.---but we lost.

If you remember they delayed the cuts coming out of the tryouts an extra day as rumors were they were unhappy with the effort of several of our players who all assumed they were on the squad, so maybe he was reaffirming the message that maybe hadn't stuck after tryouts.

Housley has forgotten more about hockey than most on this board will ever know.

i get it, Rocco is our guy. It is unfortunately similar to our society today where parents are overprotective of their kids and blind to what is actually happening.

Seems rocco kept his head up and has played just fine the last 2 games.

I believe it was the 2nd, it was at 330 am so I was sort of out of it. Actually maybe it was earlier...I noticed two turnovers right after he had his assist (making it 2-0). Again not exactly sure but right when they happened they were noticable. Before the game I had read that he may have been focing things a tad too much...so right when I saw some of those turnovers I just really didn't want him to sit again. Overall, I really think he should be playing on a higher line...Biggs is not a very "headsy" player from what I've seen. He creates 0 plays for anyone else.

The second goal (Rocco's assist) came with 4 minutes left in the first, so I watched from there. Shortly after the goal, in the US end, there was a bad turnover, which I at first thought was Rocco. The first line was out, but I thought Rocco had probably come out for someone that went off, and made that turnover. It was an attempted pass from the boards to the middle of the ice high in the US zone, picked off by a Canadian; looked like it was going to be a good chance, but the US dmen were back and broke it up (backed it up, rewatched it, and it was Gaudreau that made the bad turnover, not Rocco).

After that, Rocco made a backhand pass attempt deep in the Canadian end, which nicked a Canadian skate and didn't connect. The Canadian did make a rush down the ice following that missed pass, but not an oddman rush, and nothing came of it. Didn't look like a risky pass at all to me, as had it not nicked the Canadian skate the US player for whom it was intended would have had a great scoring chance (this was Hradek's second first period meltdown on Rocco making a "hope" pass).

The Strome breakaway came early in the second period, following the Gaudreu dangle and sniped third US goals. The first line gave up 2 consecutive odd man rushes, terrible d coverage and turnovers, but the Canadians didn't turn it into anything, and ended with Guedreau undressing dman Murphy and sniping the goal.

Shortly thereafter, with the Biggs line out, Canadians came down 3 on 3 (actually 2 on 3 with Strome showing up late). 2 US dmen and Rocco were back, one dman had Huberdeu coming into the zone, the the other US dman and Rocco failed to communicate, Huberdeaus saucer pass high to low cross ice in the zone ended up right on Strome's stick, and he got in alone. Either Rocco or the dman should have picked up Strome, but neither did. It was not a result of a risky pass or play by Rocco, in fact Hradek commented after the play that the rush was a result of a soft play by Trochek it the other end. Trocheck had taken a shot that didn't connect, but I didn't think there was anything soft about what he did, just another worthless comment by Hradek.

I've noticed that Rocco has usually been the first forward back, when he played on the first line and now with the Biggs line. I wouldn't think this is by design, as the center's should usually be the first forward back, but I never saw Miller back there on D in earlier games, and Biggs hasn't been there all tournament.

At any rate, I've yet to find what I would describe as a risky play/pass by Rocco in the US/Canada game. I'll look again if anyone can give me a specific example.

The second goal (Rocco's assist) came with 4 minutes left in the first, so I watched from there. Shortly after the goal, in the US end, there was a bad turnover, which I at first thought was Rocco. The first line was out, but I thought Rocco had probably come out for someone that went off, and made that turnover. It was an attempted pass from the boards to the middle of the ice high in the US zone, picked off by a Canadian; looked like it was going to be a good chance, but the US dmen were back and broke it up (backed it up, rewatched it, and it was Gaudreau that made the bad turnover, not Rocco).

After that, Rocco made a backhand pass attempt deep in the Canadian end, which nicked a Canadian skate and didn't connect. The Canadian did make a rush down the ice following that missed pass, but not an oddman rush, and nothing came of it. Didn't look like a risky pass at all to me, as had it not nicked the Canadian skate the US player for whom it was intended would have had a great scoring chance (this was Hradek's second first period meltdown on Rocco making a "hope" pass).

The Strome breakaway came early in the second period, following the Gaudreu dangle and sniped third US goals. The first line gave up 2 consecutive odd man rushes, terrible d coverage and turnovers, but the Canadians didn't turn it into anything, and ended with Guedreau undressing dman Murphy and sniping the goal.

Shortly thereafter, with the Biggs line out, Canadians came down 3 on 3 (actually 2 on 3 with Strome showing up late). 2 US dmen and Rocco were back, one dman had Huberdeu coming into the zone, the the other US dman and Rocco failed to communicate, Huberdeaus saucer pass high to low cross ice in the zone ended up right on Strome's stick, and he got in alone. Either Rocco or the dman should have picked up Strome, but neither did. It was not a result of a risky pass or play by Rocco, in fact Hradek commented after the play that the rush was a result of a soft play by Trochek it the other end. Trocheck had taken a shot that didn't connect, but I didn't think there was anything soft about what he did, just another worthless comment by Hradek.

I've noticed that Rocco has usually been the first forward back, when he played on the first line and now with the Biggs line. I wouldn't think this is by design, as the center's should usually be the first forward back, but I never saw Miller back there on D in earlier games, and Biggs hasn't been there all tournament.

At any rate, I've yet to find what I would describe as a risky play/pass by Rocco in the US/Canada game. I'll look again if anyone can give me a specific example.

Ok, maybe I did mix up Johnny and Rocco. I was pretty certain that Rocco had made some poor decisions. I guess my educated guess about why they sat him was wrong...back to being confused.

Ok, maybe I did mix up Johnny and Rocco. I was pretty certain that Rocco had made some poor decisions. I guess my educated guess about why they sat him was wrong...back to being confused.

Remains confusing to me as well, but, if you compare US scoring before and after he sat, and want to credit the change with his benching, then it obviously worked. Certainly since Rocco was taken off the Miller line, Miller is now appearing back on D, as well as doing things better offensively. Maybe those two just don't click. Gaudreu does very little backchecking, but the way he dangled and sniped vs. the Canadians, it's tough to criticize his game.

It was the first line that was doing the most risky things, but the Canadians didn't make them pay, and you can't argue with the results.

Remains confusing to me as well, but, if you compare US scoring before and after he sat, and want to credit the change with his benching, then it obviously worked. Certainly since Rocco was taken off the Miller line, Miller is now appearing back on D, as well as doing things better offensively. Maybe those two just don't click. Gaudreu does very little backchecking, but the way he dangled and sniped vs. the Canadians, it's tough to criticize his game.

It was the first line that was doing the most risky things, but the Canadians didn't make them pay, and you can't argue with the results.

Sure. I'm still confused (but yet happy) as to how the US dominated so much. I guarentee you Strome, Huberdeau, Reihhart, Scheifle, Murray, Rattie etc will all be above average players....and RNH is already above average (almost a pt/gm in the Show). Sometimes you don't get the bounces I guess. I think the thing that worked in the US's favor was that the refs actually let them play and didn't give CAN a bunch of PP time. Also, I really didn't think CAN worked all that hard....the US out-worked CAN by a mile.

Sure. I'm still confused (but yet happy) as to how the US dominated so much. I guarentee you Strome, Huberdeau, Reihhart, Scheifle, Murray, Rattie etc will all be above average players....and RNH is already above average (almost a pt/gm in the Show). Sometimes you don't get the bounces I guess. I think the thing that worked in the US's favor was that the refs actually let them play and didn't give CAN a bunch of PP time. Also, I really didn't think CAN worked all that hard....the US out-worked CAN by a mile.

Yep, and all those high drafts Canadian dmen had been so solid prior to this game, excellent against Russia, hardly ever getting beat or making a bad play, made turnover after turnover against the US. Totally unexpected. Although I think the US is a better team than Russia, it still doesn't explained the constant unforced or barely forced turnovers the Canadians made.

Looked like they had a big Friday night party before a Saturday night game :)

The WHL has a "US Division" that consists of the Portland Winterhawks, Spokane Chiefs, Tri-City Americans, Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips. The OHL has the Plymouth Whalers and Saginaw Spirit, both in Michigan. I believe that's it.

Erie (PA) Otters as well.