SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Just watched the US vs CAN replay and there were a few passes Rocco could have made instead of shooting but overall I simply do not get why it was determined he was playing "selfishly". If one of those shots would have went in vs CAN he would have been the hero...I'm still stumped on why he was benched.

Shooting the puck is never the wrong choice if you're down. A pass is a chance for a mistake in a scoring situation.

So few details....so many people thrown under the bus!

Bob McKenzie is pretty accurate as far as reporting whats going on in the hockey world. So when he says that Rocco was benched for attitude thats going to raise questions about a player that has been praised at every level for work ethic and attitude.

My heart wants to throw the entire coaching staff under the bus and call them unqualified to coach at this level. But I won't.....And you're right, comment about Housley's kid deleted.....

Shooting the puck is never the wrong choice if you're down. A pass is a chance for a mistake in a scoring situation.

I think hak is a great hockey coach in many areas but I do believe his greatest weakness is his shoot first philosophy. Shoot first works often and has its place but shoot first never beats a blue chip hot goalie. And when do you run into a hot blue chip goalie?

Shoot first is so inveterated into the current Sioux dogma that I hear Sioux announcers, media folks as well as fans on this site talk about it like a religion.

I'm sorry but against a good goalie you pass to an open net shot opportunity or your just wasting a scoring chance.

• Upvote 1

I think hak is a great hockey coach in many areas but I do believe his greatest weakness is his shoot first philosophy. Shoot first works often and has its place but shoot first never beats a blue chip hot goalie. And when do you run into a hot blue chip goalie?

Shoot first is so inveterated into the current Sioux dogma that I hear Sioux announcers, media folks as well as fans on this site talk about it like a religion.

I'm sorry but against a good goalie you pass to an open net shot opportunity or your just wasting a scoring chance.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

~Wayne Gretzky

Rocco was not at his best against Russia, but he was better against Canada. That being said, he was better than Gaudreau, Barber, Kuraly, Lucia, Biggs, etc.against the Pool of Death's top teams.

Motivational technique from Housley? Perhaps.

But it sure seems odd that he would sit a guy who possesses a skillset that no other player on Team USA's roster can match. It will be very interesting to see what kind of icetime Rocco gets in the QF's against the Czechs.

Some truth there, since a blue chip goalie will control rebounds, but the success of "shoot first" is just as dependent on how much traffic your team can generate in front of the net. If the other team has Dmen who are very good at keeping the slot clear, you might as well pass. But if they don't or you have a garbage meister like ZPar, that's different. One problem, in this age of butterfly goalies, is that players tend to go high so often, resulting in fewer rebounds.

• Upvote 1

I still like the idea of ripping off tons of shots....but u need playmakers as well. I seriously think he got under someone's skin and something boiled over in the locker room. Rocco is a different kind of hockey player....I bet some things he's does (which we love to hear about) makes other in the locker room including certain coaches annoyed with him. I know I probably didn't write that well but honestly I am a huge Rocco fan I just have heard (similar with tebow in the nfl) that certain people get annoyed with all the preaching. Again just looking for ideas.

• Upvote 1

Very good discussion topic. I'm still about getting the puck to the net and seeing what happens. Drills in practice are now set up where players are taught to shoot low to the pads or stick of the goaltender to create a rebound for a teammate. We saw Grimaldi do this against Denver for a Rowney goal, and here is a clip of Brad Malone doing it against CC which won the game for UND.

I know there is a lot of videos out there which would speak against my theory, but in this situation you have a CC player that gains the zone, and instead of shooting the puck or getting it to the net he stops and looks for a pass. CC turns the puck over and the rest his history.

• Upvote 1

Most passes are predictable. If Malcolm Subban can predict what the other team is about to do, he will almost always be able to stop them.

Shots and rebounds are less predictable and they force the other team to react (and hopefully overreact).

I just feel like, in my years of watching hockey, the vast majority of goals aren't pretty goals. They are deflections, screens, and rebounds, mainly. There are a lot of pretty odd-man rush goals, but that's totally different than setting up in the offensive zone and looking for the perfect shot for 5 minutes, while the other team stands there and watches.

You can't make a hard and fast rule about shooting versus delaying and trying to create a better look. Generally, if you have a clean look from a decent scoring location on the ice, you take the shot every single time.

1. If a clean look, shoot.

2. If leading an odd man, pass- unless d plays it perfectly, in which case shoot

3. if leading an even rush, shoot for a rebound for you or your teammate to knock in

4. If outnumbered or even numbered but not rushing, improvise and create- in other words pass once something opens up, skate to open up passing lanes, use your points

5. If absolutely nothing, no help, no passing lanes, no look at the net- dump it or chip it

Very good discussion topic. I'm still about getting the puck to the net and seeing what happens. Drills in practice are now set up where players are taught to shoot low to the pads or stick of the goaltender to create a rebound for a teammate. We saw Grimaldi do this against Denver for a Rowney goal, and here is a clip of Brad Malone doing it against CC which won the game for UND.

I know there is a lot of videos out there which would speak against my theory, but in this situation you have a CC player that gains the zone, and instead of shooting the puck or getting it to the net he stops and looks for a pass. CC turns the puck over and the rest his history.

March 1st, 2009. One of the top 10 greatest games in REA history. :)

Rocco's situation is what it is, we won't find out the true details. However, I had to look up where Housley coaches, and it turns out it is Stillwater High School. Grant Potulny is an inexperienced assistant coach. Why are these guys 2 of the 3 coaches on Team fricking USA???

Can't we do better?

Rocco's situation is what it is, we won't find out the true details. However, I had to look up where Housley coaches, and it turns out it is Stillwater High School. Grant Potulny is an inexperienced assistant coach. Why are these guys 2 of the 3 coaches on Team fricking USA???

Can't we do better?

I've thought the same thing. Potulny and Osieki (sp) have a bit of experience, but how did Housley end up as the head coach of the most elite 20 and under players in the United States.

What about....

~Jeff Jackson

~Jack Parker

~Jerry York

~Don Lucia

~Mike Hastings

~George Gwozdecky

~Rico Blasi....

Pretty qualified college coaches if you ask me.

I've thought the same thing. Potulny and Osieki (sp) have a bit of experience, but how did Housley end up as the head coach of the most elite 20 and under players in the United States.

What about....

~Jeff Jackson

~Jack Parker

~Jerry York

~Don Lucia

~Mike Hastings

~George Gwozdecky

~Rico Blasi....

Aside from a couple of these guys being Canadian, I agree.

I do suppose we should really reserve judgement until the tourney is over. It's not like we we had our doors blown off by Canada and Russia.

Aside from a couple of these guys being Canadian, I agree.

I do suppose we should really reserve judgement until the tourney is over. It's not like we we had our doors blown off by Canada and Russia.

True. I don't think it was the worst move in the world to have Housley as coach. He has been a tremendous representative of US hockey for over 20 years I believe. He would also a very good player. The assistants were somewhat surprising however.

How did they do last year under Blais???

Housley is doing just fine,and made the medal round ( which Blais did not) so even if he benched young Mr. Grimaldi, I believe he knows what he is doing.

And you probably shouldnt rip on Grant too much... he is from your great state, and more importantly won a championship for my beloved Gophers.

Is there a structured process for choosing the wjt coach?? Do coaches ever turn that opportunity down?? Curious as well how that works including assistants. Just want USA to give themselves a chance at Canada again!

Housley is doing just fine,and made the medal round ( which Blais did not) so even if he benched young Mr. Grimaldi, I believe he knows what he is doing.

And you probably shouldnt rip on Grant too much... he is from your great state, and more importantly won a championship for my beloved Gophers.

Grant Potulny did a lot of North Dakota bashing after he signed with the Gophers. So please excuse us if we don't bless the ground he walks on.

As for Blais not doing well last year, that was tough to swallow. But he did put together a great team that won Gold in 2010. Shutting up that Canadian crowd in Saskatoon was priceless.

Blais also won a gold medal on Canadian soil a couple years back.

That's probably not relevant to the point you were trying to make....... :whistling:

• Upvote 1

What about....

~Jeff Jackson

~Jack Parker

~Jerry York

~Don Lucia

~Mike Hastings

~George Gwozdecky

~Rico Blasi....

George Gwozdecky and Rico Blasi were both born in Canada, so I think you can cross both of them off as coach of team USA.