SiouxSports.com Forum

SUU game

geaux_sioux

Horrible idea. Sure it'll get a couple butts in seats but it devalues football and makes it seem like a joke.

We are at a point in the season where we know we are not going to make the playoffs. So the "win and the people will come" factor doesn't really work for this game. We are at a point this Saturday where we have to win out to have a winning record and we have no chance of making the playoffs. At this point in the season for THIS game, I don't see any other way to get students to go to this game. We are a sub .500 team going into our last game. If UND does not do something like this, there will be less than 100 students at the game!!

While I think that this is a good idea for THIS game right now, I certainly don't want it to become the norm. But difficult times call fur such measures.

gives out 3,800 I believe. Easily over half considering 2,000 were claimed Monday, I imagine AT MOST another 1,000 were claimed, probably fewer. Also, people cram into the lower section, maybe an extra hundred at the most(aisle areas and filling in rows so people can't sit). If people are sitting in the endzone area, that is a pretty good sign that more than half of the section is full.

Get back on topic homer.

Your telling me there was roughly 800 seats open? OK.

Topic is student turnout. UND has been over their free student alotment for 3 of their home games, right around it for 1 and below it for the 5th and will probably be below it for the 6th. I went to the FU game with family and wanted to see how FU students turned out, based on your comments the last couple weeks I expected the sections to be full. They left plenty of seats open as well. A ton of open rows above the section entrances and not many in the endzones besides the band. Point is, you have the #1 team in the country and they still can't get students to turn out. A percentatge of them that were there left at half. Its the same scene I see when I attend games at UND yet you come on here and try and tell us all about our student turnout.

SUU has arguably as tough a schedule this year as UND. Substitute Weber for Northern Colorado & SUU has basically the same conference schedule as UND. They lost to Sac State but beat Eastern Washington. Their Big Sky record is 3 & 3. Like UND, they also played a D-II school. Lost to 2 FBS schools.

My point? They received enough votes in this week's poll after beating EWU to be a defacto #35. UND will have their hands full this weekend. Defense needs to step up: UND has an opportunity to validate last year's win and move to .500 in the Big Sky. Hope Miller, Sutton, Garmin AND Sparks have a banner day and Hanson only has to pass for a couple hundred yards, not 600.

SUU has arguably as tough a schedule this year as UND. Substitute Weber for Northern Colorado & SUU has basically the same conference schedule as UND. They lost to Sac State but beat Eastern Washington. Their Big Sky record is 3 & 3. Like UND, they also played a D-II school. Lost to 2 FBS schools.

My point? They received enough votes in this week's poll after beating EWU to be a defacto #35. UND will have their hands full this weekend. Defense needs to step up: UND has an opportunity to validate last year's win and move to .500 in the Big Sky. Hope Miller, Sutton, Garmin AND Sparks have a banner day and Hanson only has to pass for a couple hundred yards, not 600.

True, but they did lose to Weber. I hope they blitz a lot to make Sorenson nervous.

Topic is student turnout. UND has been over their free student alotment for 3 of their home games, right around it for 1 and below it for the 5th and will probably be below it for the 6th. I went to the FU game with family and wanted to see how FU students turned out, based on your comments the last couple weeks I expected the sections to be full. They left plenty of seats open as well. A ton of open rows above the section entrances and not many in the endzones besides the band. Point is, you have the #1 team in the country and they still can't get students to turn out. A percentatge of them that were there left at half. Its the same scene I see when I attend games at UND yet you come on here and try and tell us all about our student turnout.

Read what he said, people pack in the rows and stand the whole game so the seats are irrelevant. So if there are say 50 seats in a row there may be more like 70-75 kids standing in that row. Multiply that by 5-10 rows and it adds up.

Read what he said, people pack in the rows and stand the whole game so the seats are irrelevant. So if there are say 50 seats in a row there may be more like 70-75 kids standing in that row. Multiply that by 5-10 rows and it adds up.

I read what he said. They must be tiny students if you can fit 20-25 extra people in a row.

I read what he said. They must be tiny students if you can fit 20-25 extra people in a row.

Highly unlikely, since most NDSU co-eds take up two or more seats by themselves.

I wasn't there so I can't say, but I have been to game where they are standing 2 deep along the entire first few rows. NDSU is world renowned for it's outreach program to get little people enrolled, surprised you didn't know that. :cool:

Side bar: Isn't it more offensive to be called a "little person" than a midget or dwarf? Seems odd that that segment of our population has decided that is the manner in which they would like to be referred.

I wasn't there so I can't say, but I have been to game where they are standing 2 deep along the entire first few rows. NDSU is world renowned for it's outreach program to get little people enrolled, surprised you didn't know that. :cool:

Side bar: Isn't it more offensive to be called a "little person" than a midget or dwarf? Seems odd that that segment of our population has decided that is the manner in which they would like to be referred.

I think someone needs to contact the fire marshall if this information is correct that can't be safe for evacuating the building when the hay stacks are accidently started on fire by the fireworks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the capacity of the Fargodome is listed at 18,700. The attendance for the game was 18,066. Sounds like there would've been less than 800 open seats.

Edit: Sorry. I forgot that it is looked down upon to provide actual facts that correct people on this site. Feel free to ignore my post and believe that there were several thousand open seats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the capacity of the Fargodome is listed at 18,700. The attendance for the game was 18,066. Sounds like there would've been less than 800 open seats.

Edit: Sorry. I forgot that it is looked down upon to provide actual facts that correct people on this site. Feel free to ignore my post and believe that there were several thousand open seats.

Go look at your own fan board. Your own fans are stating that there were at least two full sections of student seats open. I know you don't want to take a UND fan's word for it so take it from your own kind. There may have been 18.066 tickets sold or given away for the game but even your own die hard fans will admit actual butts in seats was well below that. Both students and teammakers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you weren't at the game either.

• Upvote 1

Go look at your own fan board. Your own fans are stating that there were at least two full sections of student seats open. I know you don't want to take a UND fan's word for it so take it from your own kind. There may have been 18.066 tickets sold or given away for the game but even your own die hard fans will admit actual butts in seats was well below that. Both students and teammakers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you weren't at the game either.

Well, the students have 7 sections. A chunk is reserved for the band. In 7 sections, if two are open(assuming you could move the students in those sections to others and they would fit in pretty tight, that makes 5 full sections and two empty ones. If they fit relatively comfortably we can say 4.5 full ones, and 2.5 empty ones, that is still well over half full.

I can't wait for this game and I know I'm not alone and will basically guarantee a sell out with a good familiar big name opponent coming to the Alerus. I know the only reason that this thread has been kind of dead is due to their being so much to talk about with the game that know body knows where to start. It's going to be a classic the likes of which we have never seen before.

Bump

We would only see a sell out this late in the year if we had a shot at either the playoffs or a conference title...not a .500 record. I am guessing 7-8k.

Just wait for the hype machine to get rollin for next years team with all the new defenders and qb.

The hype machine was rolling for this years team and I wish the defense machine was rolling instead. I, for one, am going to remain very skeptical about next years team until they prove otherwise. Simply changing your calender doesn't automatically improve things. Sometimes changing your coaches doesn't improve things either.

Purely a sarcastic response to a post in another thread.

Didn't mean anything sarcastic by it............

Just sayin', if we can't even approach a sell-out for the home-opener, the Potato Bowl, or Homecoming, I personally don't think it is realistic to assume that this game will get anywhere close to filling the Alerus.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to buy you a brew sometime......................

The hype machine was rolling for this years team and I wish the defense machine was rolling instead. I, for one, am going to remain very skeptical about next years team until they prove otherwise. Simply changing your calender doesn't automatically improve things. Sometimes changing your coaches doesn't improve things either.

No $hit......look at the mess at Wyoming. It seems nothing can fix it. Plus, WYO is dealing with an idiot for a coach that some how got signed to a 5 yr./$1 million a year extension last year. I think the AD must be an idiot too.......

But, I have seen many coaching changes at WYO and the product is still marginal (horrific this year).

For what it's worth, we designed the priority line to reward students who support more than just the Men's Hockey team. If it encourages a few students to check out Football that's great and I hope they have a good time and come back next season.

Would much rather have the students inside cheering on our Football team (or volleyball, women's hockey, WBB or MBB) instead of standing outside waiting in the Men's Hockey student line. And I certainly don't want our "hard core" students deciding to skip the Football game because they're concerned they won't get into lower bowl.

I don't think there's any de-valuing of football going on with this - hard to get "cheaper" than free.

I got no problem with this. Sounds fine to me.

A little over 24 hrs until kickoff. After a week of sulking over last Saturday's game I am excited for tomorrow. I want to see how this team bounces back one more time. I'm excited to see one of the best QB's in all of college football come to the Alerus tomorrow. There is no doubt Sorenson will get a shot to make a NFL squad next season.

Didn't mean anything sarcastic by it............

Just sayin', if we can't even approach a sell-out for the home-opener, the Potato Bowl, or Homecoming, I personally don't think it is realistic to assume that this game will get anywhere close to filling the Alerus.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to buy you a brew sometime......................

I was the one being sarcastic. Someone posted something about this thread being dead so I posted that.