SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Does it really matter how or when he suspends a player, much less how we all find out about it? From what I've seen in the past from Coach Mussman, if a player has to sit, it is probably warranted. A couple guys sat out the opener this season for missing class during the first week......................

Unfortunately, I'm thinking Montana may win this game by a comfortable margin.............................. :sad:

I think it depends on which UND and which Montana shows up. Really, outside of a blowout(more than 20 points) by one of the teams, I won't be the slightest bit surprised.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking Montana may win this game by a comfortable margin.............................. :sad:

Even though u know my feelings on certain things about this program, I still have UND today. I think the D can't totally suck 4 straight game.

Does it really matter how or when he suspends a player, much less how we all find out about it? From what I've seen in the past from Coach Mussman, if a player has to sit, it is probably warranted. A couple guys sat out the opener this season for missing class during the first week......................

Well said bin. A month ago we are complaining how the school to the south takes no action for their players getting in trouble. Now one of ours does and coach suspends him and we are getting on him about when he announced it. In my opinion at a lunch full of booster while your talking about which players will be out tomorrow is a bad place. I don't know the whole story behind it but one thing you can't question about Mussman is his stance on team discipline.

Possibly, but we've already left a negative mark with Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, and Northern Arizona, 2 of which are in states we want to largely recruit. Also, we still have Montana State and we will be competing with them in recruiting also. It's tough to say how doing poor this year will ultimately affect recruiting; hopefully being simply playoff eligible and having top-tier FCS facilities and conference affiliation will be enough. There are a few other things that need to change too though...

Eastern Washington could end up winning the nat'l championship this year. We layed an egg at their house. Regarding the other teams, we have close loses to an FBS, and two other teams that are ranked near the top of most polls, not excusable but it is what it is. You can't argue where those teams are in the polls.

We have a young offense with alot of skilled guys returning but still some spots where a young player could come in and play right away. Our defense is full of opportunities to come in and get early playing time. If I'm a young kid I see a chance to get some early run on a pretty good team that has some work to do defensively but offensively is already one of the best in FCS. Doing poorly? This team still has a realistic chance to finish .500 against the argueably one of the toughest schedule in FCS this season. Its not where I wanted to be, but it isn't the end of the world either if you step away from the ledge.

Well said bin. A month ago we are complaining how the school to the south takes no action for their players getting in trouble. Now one of ours does and coach suspends him and we are getting on him about when he announced it. In my opinion at a lunch full of booster while your talking about which players will be out tomorrow is a bad place. I don't know the whole story behind it but one thing you can't question about Mussman is his stance on team discipline.

I would say that the booster luncheon is exactly the right place to announce whatever information you would like to, including pending discipline. It shows that he values fans many who are directly responsible with giving to support our athletics programs. I'm not going to criticize him for taking action, he simply told them, that it would be announced today. Would you rather he keep everything a secret like they do down south? Personally, I appreciate whatever information is given at the luncheons, thats why I go whenever my schedule allows.

• Upvote 1

We have a young offense with alot of skilled guys returning but still some spots where a young player could come in and play right away. Our defense is full of opportunities to come in and get early playing time. If I'm a young kid I see a chance to get some early run on a pretty good team that has some work to do defensively but offensively is already one of the best in FCS. Doing poorly? This team still has a realistic chance to finish .500 against the argueably one of the toughest schedule in FCS this season. Its not where I wanted to be, but it isn't the end of the world either if you step away from the ledge.

Agree completely. as an example, look at Thornton at NDSU. A great talent but will never see the field as A QB due to the depth and talent they have at this position. If I were a high school defensive standout, I would love the opportunity that UND would give me.

Agree completely. as an example, look at Thornton at NDSU. A great talent but will never see the field as A QB due to the depth and talent they have at this position. If I were a high school defensive standout, I would love the opportunity that UND would give me.

If you are a high school defensive standout do you want to go somewhere you can play right away or be apart of an exceptional defense?

If you are a high school defensive standout do you want to go somewhere you can play right away or be apart of an exceptional defense?

Depends on the kid. Its not like UND has never had an exceptional defense. This is a program who has always been known for its defensive play. Just need to get more athletes on that side of the ball right now. Sounds ok to me if I thought I had the ability to contribute right away.

Wonder if it is attitude related? He has been getting less and less snaps every week anyway....which is a good thing. Can't play safety and be afraid of contact.

Hard to say. But I will admit that when Mussman said that a fifth-year senior was suspended, I was kind of hoping it was Merserau. If somebody had to go, he was probably the most expendable, as he has struggled badly this year.

I assume Butler is now a number 2 at safety? Or maybe Ivery?

• Upvote 1

Hard to say. But I will admit that when Mussman said that a fifth-year senior was suspended, I was kind of hoping it was Merserau. If somebody had to go, he was probably the most expendable, as he has struggled badly this year.

I assume Butler is now a number 2 at safety? Or maybe Ivery?

Completely agree with glad it was Merserau - he has been pretty much worthless this year in my opinion - terrible coverage, missed tackles, etc. I'm hoping you're right that Butler gets to play some more.