SiouxSports.com Forum

Soooooo time to move on..... NAU game this week

geaux_sioux

Well, just looking at the posts on this page alone I have gathered that there are about as many ndsu posts. Obsessed? Threatened? secret crush?

It is certainly one of the above because last I checked it has been 9 years since we played and ndsu trolls are on a UND board on a regular basis.

What does that really say?

I dunno, ask geaux_sioux, who has apparently been trolling all over their board for months now. Most of the NDSU people aren't even trolling, yet we still managed to get trolled, as in this case.

So it's homecoming week, we have a conference game against a ranked opponent who has a good defense and a ball control offense, and the next football game between UND and ndsu is not on the schedule for an indefinite period of time. Let's get back on topic.

Edit: I have also read that NAU has a habit of starting hot and cooling off as the season goes on. Hopefully UND can start NAU's cold spell on saturday.

amazed at how easily trolled some of you are by even the most innocuous post by NDSU people. Good lord this place is on edge all the time.

he posted nothing about the bison or mvfc or anything, but I'm glad UND people are so eager to turn every thread into an NDSU thread as soon as any NDSU person shows, regardless of what the are saying.

Please tell me why su people show up - and don't say it's to add to the discussion, bring a different perspective because I'm not buying that. It's a never-ending need to build up your own egos because of a never ending inferiority complex.

Oh and I'll be at the game this week (The one the Flagship School is hosting) and I'm thinking with a homecoming crowd the better UND team shows up and the defense makes just enough plays to win it.

• Upvote 3

So I suppose since they are not the real deal we have a chance to beat them? Why don't you go talk about UND in a condescending tone with your pals on bville.

Lately it has been impossible to have a conversation without bizun trolls comments and constant need for approval. We don't even play anymore so just move on already.

Please tell me why su people show up - and don't say it's to add to the discussion, bring a different perspective because I'm not buying that. It's a never-ending need to build up your own egos because of a never ending inferiority complex.

Oh and I'll be at the game this week (The one the Flagship School is hosting) and I'm thinking with a homecoming crowd the better UND team shows up and the defense makes just enough plays to win it.

Lot of butthurt in these first two posts.

So it's homecoming week, we have a conference game against a ranked opponent who has a good defense and a ball control offense, and the next football game between UND and ndsu is not on the schedule for an indefinite period of time. Let's get back on topic.

Edit: I have also read that NAU has a habit of starting hot and cooling off as the season goes on. Hopefully UND can start NAU's cold spell on saturday.

I believe this year was their first win against Montana in ages. Even if it is a down Montana team, NAU seems to be pretty solid so far. Another nice test for UND to see how they stack up at the moment.

Northern Arizona gives up nearly 24 pts per game (#47 in scoring defense) and nearly 350 yds/game (#48 total defense). If the UND defense can just make a few plays here and there (a few stops on 3rd down, force 2 turnovers) to limit Northern's number of possessions, the offense has shown the ability to score enough to win.

I show up because I like football......in particular our subdivision. And, while I sure as hell am not a fan of UND, it is pretty interesting to watch and see what Muss is made of and if he can right the ship. Any football fan would be interested in that.

As to being on edge.....I would only say that all the Bison fans ought to damn well remember when Bisonville was pretty on edge and pissy not too long ago......if I recall.....Mertens was the QB.

Northern Arizona gives up nearly 24 pts per game (#47 in scoring defense) and nearly 350 yds/game (#48 total defense). If the UND defense can just make a few plays here and there (a few stops on 3rd down, force 2 turnovers) to limit Northern's number of possessions, the offense has shown the ability to score enough to win.

Here is an interesting tidbit. NAU beat UNLV at Las Vegas by 3. So did the Gophers, by 3 in OT. So if you can compare, and I know you cannot, if UND plays well and does beat NAU in GF, on the road for NAU, then UND should be able to claim they would beat the Gophers. Not that that is a major accomplishment, but it does indicate some level of performance. To be perfectly honest, if UND beats NAU it will be a major upset based on recent performances, but it is possible. I started the season as a real believer, but the injury to Hanson and the performance of the Defense has put me in a real negative mood about this team. I hope it changes, but I am not a Muss fan and I hope the kids prove me and the critics wrong. I would love to see this FB program succeed.

Ole - can we agree that success is not only measured by won-lost record. Yup I want them to win every game, probably not gonna happen most years. What do I want? A competitive team, players that I can see are working hard and not giving up, no police reports with players names in them, active in the community, good students, better citizens, as alumni they become supporters of UND. Not a cop-out, not accepting defeats just sayin that when W-L becomes the #1 priority things can go "south" in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

Ole - can we agree that success is not only measured by won-lost record. Yup I want them to win every game, probably not gonna happen most years. What do I want? A competitive team, players that I can see are working hard and not giving up, no police reports with players names in them, active in the community, good students, better citizens, as alumni they become supporters of UND. Not a cop-out, not accepting defeats just sayin that when W-L becomes the #1 priority things can go "south" in a hurry.

Agreed, nice to run a clean program with kids who have integrity and will be future model citizens, but also would like to see some signature wins etc. as well. I think both are achievable.

• Upvote 3

If UND wins this weekend, which i think they have a fairly good shot of doing if either the offense or defense decides to show up, would this be the biggest win since the transition began? It certainly would have a good case. Anyway, I think the offense decides to show up, and we get a thriller. 38-34 UND. I'm expecting a pretty solid student turnout, every time i walked by the ticket office today and yesterday, someone was picking up a ticket. 10,800 total attendance.

because of a never ending inferiority complex.

I almost drowned in the flood of irony. Have you read this board recently?

If UND wins this weekend, which i think they have a fairly good shot of doing if either the offense or defense decides to show up, would this be the biggest win since the transition began? It certainly would have a good case. Anyway, I think the offense decides to show up, and we get a thriller. 38-34 UND. I'm expecting a pretty solid student turnout, every time i walked by the ticket office today and yesterday, someone was picking up a ticket. 10,800 total attendance.

I almost drowned in the flood of irony. Have you read this board recently?

Uh you and the "others" prove this point daily.
  • Upvote 1

CMSioux -

Your post is what I've seen from NAU's football team over the the last few years. Close games, players graduating and staying out of the limelight, lots of community outreach by the team and other positives. The only thing missing over that time period was a few more wins mixed in. I'm happy that NAU is seeing some success but I can't justify selling a program's soul for the W's.

A few posters here have suggested that NAU is due for their late season collapse (must have been reading egriz). I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it happening this season. Lumberjacks teams in the past would roll over and die after getting blasted by ASU or being down early vs. UNLV and Montana. Adversity has been faced and overcome this season. If UND wins on Saturday, it will be because your guys are the better team. Not because NAU lacked necessary intestinal fortitude. NAU may not be a good team "historically" but they are good this season.

NAU is a run first team that utilizes the pass when the other team stacks the box. I have no doubt that Bauman should be playing at U of A or ASU. They messed up in not recruiting him. Screw em. I'm thrilled he's a Lumberjack and realize running backs of his caliber are a rare blessing for an FCS team. Grossart has been efficient and doesn't play outside of his abilities. Turnovers and penalties have been limited and special teams have been a pleasant surprise. Shanks has had a great season with returns and new young kicker and punter are performing well. Defense's best attribute is depth. Atleticism in the secondary is markedly improved.

Sad that I was unable to make it to North Dakota to visit relatives and check out my alma mater @ Alerus. Good luck, UND fans. Go Jacks!

well if you take out 63-6 drubbing by asu, nau gives up 14 points a game

• Upvote 1

CMSioux -

Your post is what I've seen from NAU's football team over the the last few years. Close games, players graduating and staying out of the limelight, lots of community outreach by the team and other positives. The only thing missing over that time period was a few more wins mixed in. I'm happy that NAU is seeing some success but I can't justify selling a program's soul for the W's.

A few posters here have suggested that NAU is due for their late season collapse (must have been reading egriz). I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it happening this season. Lumberjacks teams in the past would roll over and die after getting blasted by ASU or being down early vs. UNLV and Montana. Adversity has been faced and overcome this season. If UND wins on Saturday, it will be because your guys are the better team. Not because NAU lacked necessary intestinal fortitude. NAU may not be a good team "historically" but they are good this season.

NAU is a run first team that utilizes the pass when the other team stacks the box. I have no doubt that Bauman should be playing at U of A or ASU. They messed up in not recruiting him. Screw em. I'm thrilled he's a Lumberjack and realize running backs of his caliber are a rare blessing for an FCS team. Grossart has been efficient and doesn't play outside of his abilities. Turnovers and penalties have been limited and special teams have been a pleasant surprise. Shanks has had a great season with returns and new young kicker and punter are performing well. Defense's best attribute is depth. Atleticism in the secondary is markedly improved.

Sad that I was unable to make it to North Dakota to visit relatives and check out my alma mater @ Alerus. Good luck, UND fans. Go Jacks!

I have a similar feeling mtjack. In the past we have been ranked without any significant wins and collapsed at the end of the season. I think if we can win this game then we are the real deal.

Great to see Jacks fans posting on the board.. your input is welcomed. I am looking forward to watching Bauman this weekend. Is he a between the tackles type of running back? What type of running style does he have?

Welcome to the big sky! And bauman is really good on stretch plays and pitches but he is surprisingly strong for his size and can get between the tackles as well. Really an exciting player

Nice to see NAU fans showing up. Seems like more and more BSC fans are popping in to add to the discussions, hopefully we can get a lot of fans of different schools adding stuff about their school. Its nice to learn about things about different schools (FCS or FBS) that may or may not be in the paper.

Agreed, nice to run a clean program with kids who have integrity and will be future model citizens, but also would like to see some signature wins etc. as well. I think both are achievable.

Back in the late 90s and up through the end of our DII era, UND consistently had a good showing on the conference all academic team and was one of the best ranked teams in the country on a consistent basis. This is one of the things I always liked about UND athletics compared to another school to the south frequently mentioned on this board.

At the DII level, I think good academics and good results on the field go hand in hand. Not sure if that is the case at the FCS level or not. Does UND still put a lot of players on the all academic team? How about Montana, EWU, Montana State?

Back in the late 90s and up through the end of our DII era, UND consistently had a good showing on the conference all academic team and was one of the best ranked teams in the country on a consistent basis. This is one of the things I always liked about UND athletics compared to another school to the south frequently mentioned on this board.

At the DII level, I think good academics and good results on the field go hand in hand. Not sure if that is the case at the FCS level or not. Does UND still put a lot of players on the all academic team? How about Montana, EWU, Montana State?

So far UND has done well with players on academic teams. I don't know about any of the other Big Sky teams.

Here is an interesting tidbit. NAU beat UNLV at Las Vegas by 3. So did the Gophers, by 3 in OT. So if you can compare, and I know you cannot, if UND plays well and does beat NAU in GF, on the road for NAU, then UND should be able to claim they would beat the Gophers. Not that that is a major accomplishment, but it does indicate some level of performance. To be perfectly honest, if UND beats NAU it will be a major upset based on recent performances, but it is possible. I started the season as a real believer, but the injury to Hanson and the performance of the Defense has put me in a real negative mood about this team. I hope it changes, but I am not a Muss fan and I hope the kids prove me and the critics wrong. I would love to see this FB program succeed.

I'm not a fan of drawing comparisons using comparative scores.

As to being on edge.....I would only say that all the Bison fans ought to damn well remember when Bisonville was pretty on edge and pissy not too long ago......if I recall.....Mertens was the QB.

UND is somewhere between 8-3 and 3-8 right now. WYO is right, how quickly some forget 3-8 in NDSU's not-so-distant past.

UND could, based on this week's FCS projections, play *five* FCS playoff teams and an FBS bowl team this regular season. That's just crazy for a first-year eligible team. (Montana State, EWU, NAU, Montana, Cal-Poly, plus San Diego State)

http://forum.siouxsp...tology-oct-8th/

http://www.sportsnet...FCS_Bracket.pdf

• Upvote 1