SiouxSports.com Forum

Soooooo time to move on..... NAU game this week

geaux_sioux

Offense: You'll see lots of power/I-formation sets. Most plays are done with the qb under center. Bauman gets most of his yards on the edge but is just as likely to get a "big run" in the trench as he is on the edge. Passing game is more short/mid-range than vertical.

Defense? The Jacks used to run a funky "flex" defense. That isn't what I've seen on the field so far. I'll be honest that I don't really know what style defense they're running this year. Jacksdude...any input? I just know they are significantly deeper than they have been in the past.

Please tell me why su people show up - and don't say it's to add to the discussion, bring a different perspective because I'm not buying that. It's a never-ending need to build up your own egos because of a never ending inferiority complex.

Oh and I'll be at the game this week (The one the Flagship School is hosting) and I'm thinking with a homecoming crowd the better UND team shows up and the defense makes just enough plays to win it.

I can't speak for all of NDSU fans, only myself.

I grew up in ND, I watched a lot of NDSU football and UND Hockey (my cousin's husband played for the Sioux). I have no severe "hatred" for UND, though I do enjoy a little ribbing back and forth from time to time.... and sometimes admittedly it's fun to watch a train wreck (or NASCAR.... same thing). Early in the season I predicted a mid-pack finish for UND in the BSC and a number of the UND fans said I (and other NDSU fans) were just wrong and that UND had crazy speed and a great team. That got my attention and made me pay more attention to UND this year than I have in a number of years. I don't read/post here regularly but when I do I try and be respectful, though I do admittedly throw out a few jabs from time to time and expect some back in return.

3 of my closest neighbors are UND fans as well, and oddly they somehow look to me for info on what's going on w/ UND football (who is starting, who's hurt, etc, etc, etc...) so at times I just take in info and pass it along.

Uh you and the "others" prove this point daily.

by posting on my school and alma-mater's unofficial fan website? Aside from arguing against some of the stupider crap posted on here and generally being bitter and cynical, i still don't understand the hostility.

Offense: You'll see lots of power/I-formation sets. Most plays are done with the qb under center. Bauman gets most of his yards on the edge but is just as likely to get a "big run" in the trench as he is on the edge. Passing game is more short/mid-range than vertical.

Defense? The Jacks used to run a funky "flex" defense. That isn't what I've seen on the field so far. I'll be honest that I don't really know what style defense they're running this year. Jacksdude...any input? I just know they are significantly deeper than they have been in the past.

It will be interesting to see how the UND defense responds.. giving the track record this year - expect a big game for Bauman.

From the NAU posters above, it sounds like NAU runs your basic old NCC power I formation, fullback lead, we are going to run 'til you stop it offense. I would hope UND would be able to scheme this and not get gashed for 250+ on the ground.

Edited by Oxbow6

Oxbow - Who is this "UNA" you speak of? ;)

NAU will run the ball until UND does something to stop them. Bauman is the main back. Deboskie-Johnson spells relief and would probably be starting for a few other teams. Shanks gets the call when they're looking for pure speed. Fullback is a featured part of the offense they're running this year. Their offense is "vanilla" by past standards (ran a pass heavy offense for years) but it's been working. Bauman has two 75 yard opening play touchdowns this season. Regardless of how tough UND's outcome vs. EWU was last week, this will not be an easy game for NAU. UND plays better at home and probably come into this game with a chip on their shoulder.

How close to the 12,200+ capacity will UND get for homecoming? What is the general vibe from the students/community/alums regarding UND football? I know from talking to North Dakota relatives that hockey is considered "king" @ UND.

Oxbow - Who is this "UNA" you speak of? ;)

NAU will run the ball until UND does something to stop them. Bauman is the main back. Deboskie-Johnson spells relief and would probably be starting for a few other teams. Shanks gets the call when they're looking for pure speed. Fullback is a featured part of the offense they're running this year. Their offense is "vanilla" by past standards (ran a pass heavy offense for years) but it's been working. Bauman has two 75 yard opening play touchdowns this season. Regardless of how tough UND's outcome vs. EWU was last week, this will not be an easy game for NAU. UND plays better at home and probably come into this game with a chip on their shoulder.

How close to the 12,200+ capacity will UND get for homecoming? What is the general vibe from the students/community/alums regarding UND football? I know from talking to North Dakota relatives that hockey is considered "king" @ UND.

UND's main goal on defense this weekend is going to be to stop the run. They are going to stack the box the majority of the time to make sure Bauman doesn't run all over us. Muss today at the UND fan luncheon said that Breneman, Benjamin, and Goodman will all be out this week., so it is going to be a tough task unless some guys stepup...which they are certainly capable of. the starters weren't doing that great the last two weeks against the run...maybe these backups can come up big. Our secondary could be tested more this week than ever...so we will have to see how they do. Being that it is a home game and Homecoming, I think the team will play better than the last two weeks.

As far as the attendance, Homecoming will bring more fans out. I saw that the weather is supposed to be in the 50's. Yes, the game is indoors, but that the nece weather will get more people tailgating. If I were to predict, I would guess the attendance will be right around 10,000.

Not sure on who's out (injuries) for NAU this week. The coaching staff and athletic dept tend to keep this stuff on the wraps more than a lot of colleges do. Having bye week prior to this, I'm guessing they may have had some time to heal up. I know one receiver was lost for the season at UNLV. Their second string qb, Cartwright, played one half @ ASU, the whole game @ UNLV and one half vs. Fort Lewis but is out with a knee injury I think. Not sure about injuries on defense.

Nodak Nation updated their Facebook page to the following status: .

"Free student tickets for the Homecoming football game will likely be gone by the end of the day! Get over to the ticket office in the Union to get yours now!"

That reitterates my prediction of at least 10,000 people at the game tomorrow

• Upvote 1

I think even with the injuries guys like Welch and Rattelle will step up, hopefully Cummings does so as well. I'm hoping that Kennedy will have a good game against the run since that area looked to be his specialty on his film. Either the defense shows up and plays well this game or they are a bunch of bums.

UND's main goal on defense this weekend is going to be to stop the run. They are going to stack the box the majority of the time to make sure Bauman doesn't run all over us. Muss today at the UND fan luncheon said that Breneman, Benjamin, and Goodman will all be out this week., so it is going to be a tough task unless some guys stepup...which they are certainly capable of. the starters weren't doing that great the last two weeks against the run...maybe these backups can come up big. Our secondary could be tested more this week than ever...so we will have to see how they do. Being that it is a home game and Homecoming, I think the team will play better than the last two weeks.

As far as the attendance, Homecoming will bring more fans out. I saw that the weather is supposed to be in the 50's. Yes, the game is indoors, but that the nece weather will get more people tailgating. If I were to predict, I would guess the attendance will be right around 10,000.

No Brenneman, Benjamin, or Goodman?? That could make for a tough day defensively. I still stand by my earlier opinion that the only way we win this game is if Hanson has an outstanding day throwing the ball around to Hardin, Jackson, Golladay and the rest of the receivers. If we aren't scoring a lot of points tomorrow, I doubt we win. Of course, I could be wrong and I would welcome a surprise defensive performance with open arms - I'm just not expecting it. Hope everything works out tomorrow.

GO UND!!

Back to the game...attendance will be 10000+. It's homecoming and the crowd is usually decent.

As for the game, who knows what to say. My gut says UND gets run over on the ground by NAU like the 5'6" fat guy trying to avoid the bulls at Pamplona for the 1st time.

As my daughter says when she talks about where her older brother went to college: Not A University :lol::D:lol::D

<drum roll>

Did your daughter go to ASU or U of A? I hear that all the time from Sundevil or Wildcat fans. A gentle reminder as to when the last time they made it to the Rose Bowl (never for U of A) or a major bowl game (ASU...1997) calms their bluster. NAU is certainly not in the Ivy League but neither are any of the Big Sky Conference schools or any Pac-12 schools/campuses I've been on apart from Cal or Stanford.

<drum roll>

Did your daughter go to ASU or U of A? I hear that all the time from Sundevil or Wildcat fans. A gentle reminder as to when the last time they made it to the Rose Bowl (never for U of A) or a major bowl game (ASU...1997) calms their bluster. NAU is certainly not in the Ivy League but neither are any of the Big Sky Conference schools or any Pac-12 schools/campuses I've been on apart from Cal or Stanford.

No, my daughter goes to The U of North Dakota, but grew up in southeastern Arizona - Sierra Vista. A lot of Buena grads go to NAU, and she would always give her brother a bad time about NAU. Have nothing against NAU & think Flagstaff is a beautiful town. Just wish I could afford to live there.