SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Defense

darell1976

Anyone thing UND is too caught up in hiring institutionalised coaches? I know its great to have former players on the staff and all but it seems like we go a bit overboard. Maybe we miss out on some good ones just to keep a familiar face.

Absolutely. I like promoting from within if the person is qualified, but some new blood would be nice once in a while.

If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, get a new dog for crying out loud.

• Upvote 1

It worked for NDSU who hired a DC of an FBS powerhouse in Nebraska.

there is another former dc from an elite program on the market right now. Not sure we could afford him, but i think it would make some waves if we could. http://en.wikipedia....rican_football)

UND's current coaching line goes back what, almost 30 years now? I think it's definitely time to change it up.

Updated Stats: out of 121 teams

Rushing Defense

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties

#108 North Dakota 7 286 1601 5.60 12 228.71 3 4 0

Passing Defense

Rank Name Games Patt Pcomp Papct Ydscmp Int Intpct Yds Ydsatt TDs Ydspgm CM Wins Losses Ties

#69 North Dakota 7 197 122 61.93 12.31 6 3.05 1502 7.62 18 214.57 0 3 4 0

Total Defense

Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties

#101 North Dakota 7 483 3103 6.42 32 443.29 3 4 0

Scoring Defense

Rank Name Games TDs Kxp Oxp Dkxp Doxp FG Sf Points Ptspgm Wins Losses Ties

#95 North Dakota 7 32 28 1 0 0 4 0 234 33.43 3 4 0

Very telling stats, Matt. Ugly.

Maybe with our lackluster offense in past years, the recruiting focus has been too much on the offensive side of the ball? Whatever it is - our defense royally sucks at this level.

If you take our SD Mines cupcake out of the equation, opponents are getting about 500yds/ game total offense against us. WTF? :huh:???

Updated Stats: out of 121 teams

Rushing Defense

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties

#108 North Dakota 7 286 1601 5.60 12 228.71 3 4 0

Passing Defense

Rank Name Games Patt Pcomp Papct Ydscmp Int Intpct Yds Ydsatt TDs Ydspgm CM Wins Losses Ties

#69 North Dakota 7 197 122 61.93 12.31 6 3.05 1502 7.62 18 214.57 0 3 4 0

Total Defense

Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties

#101 North Dakota 7 483 3103 6.42 32 443.29 3 4 0

Scoring Defense

Rank Name Games TDs Kxp Oxp Dkxp Doxp FG Sf Points Ptspgm Wins Losses Ties

#95 North Dakota 7 32 28 1 0 0 4 0 234 33.43 3 4 0

Wow and OUCH. No sugar coating those. What is the answer? How does this get fixed?

Why does it seem like our offense and defense are now flip flopped. We used to have a solid defense and not much for offense now our defense is crap and our offense is lighting up defenses. Where is the balance?

#43 in rushing offense 173.29/ypg

#21 in passing offense 266.57/ypg

#17 in total offense 439.86/ypg

#12 in scoring offense 37/ppg

Why does it seem like our offense and defense are now flip flopped. We used to have a solid defense and not much for offense now our defense is crap and our offense is lighting up defenses. Where is the balance?

#43 in rushing offense 173.29/ypg

#21 in passing offense 266.57/ypg

#17 in total offense 439.86/ypg

#12 in scoring offense 37/ppg

Those numbers would be way better with a good defense too..... The offense is outstanding. Unfortunately the defense is putrid

Anyone notice EJ Welch out there? I saw him in there a few times and I feel like he was actually getting a push and causing some disruption. We haven't seen much of that lately so i'm hoping he sees some more playing time.

But yeah overall our defense is terrible. What the heck happened?

Anyone notice EJ Welch out there? I saw him in there a few times and I feel like he was actually getting a push and causing some disruption. We haven't seen much of that lately so i'm hoping he sees some more playing time.

But yeah overall our defense is terrible. What the heck happened?

I noticed him too. He needs to play more. Henson isn't big or strong enough to handle the job in a 3-4.

I remember watching the UND teams of the early to mid 80's. Those teams had some really bad defenses, but all things relative (D2 vs. D1 FCS) this is IMO the worst D I've seen at UND.

It's Sacastaball at its finest.

"I can't remember if I'm supposed to hug the running back or compliment him...it's so confusing!"

• Upvote 1

I was one who was pretty critical of Coach Kelling in the past because during the transition the pass defense was so horrible.

At the same time I've praised Mannassau becasue the run defense has been so good.

Well, I got my wish, and Kelling is gone, and now things are worse across the board, so who do I blame now?

I've been disappointed by the relative lack of a pass rush for like 4 straight seasons now.

As far as the secondary goes, there has been one guy that has started alot of games for UND that has been routinely burned by the opposition week in and week out, yet he continues to start. To me, that doesn't say alot about the guys that are backing him up...........................

As far as I can tell, the two best players in the secondary, are the JUCO guys, Kennedy and Lewis...............

I don't know if I buy into the idea that UND has neglected recruiting defense vs. offense in preparation for Big Sky play. Other than a few exceptions, most of the guys getting playing time on either side of the ball were recruited before the Big Sky invite.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts on this move:

"Checking out practice at Memorial Stadium on great fall day. UND swapped WR Tyhre Ivery to DB. Might see him on the field later this year."

Football by tommillergf on Oct 16, 2012 06:38:18 PM

He hasn't been getting enough playing time at WR. Way too talented and athletic not to be on the field. He was a good DB back in Texas in high school. But can he tackle?

Can the other guys on defense?

The talent in the secondary is probably the worst I have ever seen here so this move can't hurt. My biggest concern though is the lack of execution on the basic fundamental on defense and that is tackling. This is squarely the fault of the defensive coaches and needs to be resolved at the end of the year. If this doesn't improve, we better being hiring all new defensive coaches as this is just unacceptable.

The talent in the secondary is probably the worst I have ever seen here so this move can't hurt. My biggest concern though is the lack of execution on the basic fundamental on defense and that is tackling. This is squarely the fault of the defensive coaches and needs to be resolved at the end of the year. If this doesn't improve, we better being hiring all new defensive coaches as this is just unacceptable.

I don't think the talent is the worst ever, its just the opponent's offensive talent is the best we've ever played against consistently, hands down. We have to load up on some great athletes if we're going to compete at a high level in the Big Sky. Mussman obviously realizes the holes in the secondary if he's making this positon switch, so I would definitely expect some JUCO corners and high-level recruit DBs being brought in this off-season. Its needed to defend these prolific pass offenses in the Big Sky. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see some defensive coaching changes if Mussman deems necessary. Ultimately, Mussman will be given this offseason to try and correct this thing, unfortunately.