SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Defense

darell1976

Just look at the successful bad ass defenses in the NFL, steelers ravens texans 49ers and bears. All get to the qb and love to bring pressure, especially the ones who run the 3-4 like us. Hopefully this works and brings the d a little more attitude. Maybe bringing pressure is part if the attitude.

Well at UND Boosters today Coach Mussman hinted that may be the plan on defense the rest of the year....dial up pressure and force the issue.

I agree with the whole "bring pressure" attitude. If you can't cover people, if you can't bring pressure with four guys, heck, why not?

I'd rather see the NAU QB pick himself up off the ground after throwing a TD pass then running to the end zone with a smile on his face. Thats what I loved about Bubba. QB's remembered the weeks they played UND.

I don't think things would have a drastic change, but at least you'd get the satisfaction of putting some sort of pressure of the qb. UND's defense is just plain awful right now, that doesn't change by blitzing.

Just look at the successful bad ass defenses in the NFL, steelers ravens texans 49ers and bears. All get to the qb and love to bring pressure, especially the ones who run the 3-4 like us. Hopefully this works and brings the d a little more attitude. Maybe bringing pressure is part if the attitude.

The most successful defense over the past decade or so has been the Dick LeBeau Steeler(my favorite team) defense. :D But sending more than 4-5 will leave the team exposed.

If Lennon gets fired I'd be all for bringing him back to Grand Forks. Whether he would or not....who knows....

Lennon was behind some pretty good defensive football teams, and I have the feeling that a coach like him could turn this thing around. Yeah, the Salukis have struggled under his guidance, but I think he could reinvent himself back at UND.

That or Bubba.....I miss Bubba.... :sad:

What would Lennon bring to the table? He walked into a team that holds the MVFC record for consecutive weeks ranked #1 and has turned them into a team that is close to Weber St caliber.

What would Lennon bring to the table? He walked into a team that holds the MVFC record for consecutive weeks ranked #1 and has turned them into a team that is close to Weber St caliber.

As much as I want to agree tj, Lennon held the Bison to a grand total of 9 points last season. Granted, our offense wasn't anything special last season, but he has a solid track record for putting a good defense on the field. Putting a good defense on the field always gives you a chance(see any Steelers team for a longgggg time).

As much as I want to agree tj, Lennon held the Bison to a grand total of 9 points last season. Granted, our offense wasn't anything special last season, but he has a solid track record for putting a good defense on the field. Putting a good defense on the field always gives you a chance(see any Steelers team for a longgggg time).

I'm in no way saying Lennon is a bad coach but siu was a great team before he took over

Part of UND running the 3-4 is to stop the veer. The other part is that in the midwest it was easier to find the LBs for a 3-4 system than the DL for a 4-3.

Then again, part of the 3-4 is accepting that you need to use a LB (or two) to pressure the QB in passing situations. The 3-4 is better for blitz schemes because you can better disguise who is coming. If you're not blitzing from a 3-4 you may be dropping 8 in coverage, but you're also giving the QB time to find the holes.

Personally, my theory has always been that there are two ends a completion, the throw and the reception, and it's easier to disrupt the throw because you have a pretty good idea where that is coming from (compared to where it's going).

Part of UND running the 3-4 is to stop the veer. The other part is that in the midwest it was easier to find the LBs for a 3-4 system than the DL for a 4-3.

Then again, part of the 3-4 is accepting that you need to use a LB (or two) to pressure the QB in passing situations. The 3-4 is better for blitz schemes because you can better disguise who is coming. If you're not blitzing from a 3-4 you may be dropping 8 in coverage, but you're also giving the QB time to find the holes.

Personally, my theory has always been that there are two ends a completion, the throw and the reception, and it's easier to disrupt the throw because you have a pretty good idea where that is coming from (compared to where it's going).

I think using a 3-4 but having the capability to use 4-3 against spread teams would be a nice solution.

Weird I thought we had more than 7 games this year. By the way we can still make the playoffs.

By the way we could easily lose the next 3 to make it 5 in a row. Lots of possible scenarios w the games remaining. The point is something needs to change ASAP on the D side of the ball.