SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Defense

darell1976

We all know how bad UND's defense is....so what needs to change?

Is it the maturity of the players maybe next year they become better.

Is it the recruiting, Muss needs to recruit better players on D.

Is it the coaching, Does the DC (Mannausau) need to go? (Sorry Tiffany :love: )

What changes to we need to see beginning either now....or starting next season against Valpo.

What changes to we need to see beginning either now....or starting next season against Valpo.

It sucks to say this but I think the best DT on the team is Mike Edwards who is redshirting this year, he is a superb athlete and amazingly strong already. He might end up as the best DT we've ever had.

The secondary is young and so are the LBs, they will be better next year and the year after.... that doesn't help us much this year....

The D doesn't try and kill people like they used to. Even last year at Fresno the D scared the crap out of their QB. They were flying around and coming from all angles. This year they look hesitant and don't bring the wood.

I have heard the same thing about Edwards and am hoping its accurate. We need better play and depth at that spot. Its the key to the 3-4 defense against the run. Also, we need some linebackers who can get some pressure off the edge and at this level they are going to have to be more athletic than in the past. I think the coaches have worked on addressing that and we have some young guys who hopefully can step into that role. And it comes down to just making plays when put in the right spot. I continually watched guys get cut down on the edge against Poly as they ran it down the field. Sometimes it just comes down to getting off a block.

I don't know how long Goodman is out, but I would like to see Jablonski start while Goodman is out. We need someone inserted into this defense that can give this team a spark, and he just might be the guy.

I would seriously consider benching Mersereau if he continues to keep getting burned. Yes, he can ball hawk like no other, but I would rather have someone that can cover consistenly and not get burned time and time again and get a pick every once in a while. He should have a short leash for the rest of the year. I would also consider perhaps using a taller corner for a play or two to see what he can do. Mersereau is our tallest person in the secondary (6').

Try to get more pressure on the QB. I think that was the only thing I truly liked about last night that we got 3 sacks.

If there is one major thing that this team can improve on D this year? HOW ABOUT WE TACKLE!!!! Basic tacking fundamentals please, and if for whatever reason you can't make the tackle, hold them up for the rest of the troops to come. At least if we can do that, the defense will be light years ahead to where we currently are.

If we keep getting shredded like this the rest of the year... FIRE THE DC! Simple as that.

This defense needs to be challenge right now, if for whatever reason it hasn't already. Put something up as bulletin board material, make them do wind sprints till they puke if they miss a tackle in practice, anything at all. Get the message across that this is not acceptable anymore and starting jobs and playing time will be on the line for those who can and cannot answer the call.

• Upvote 1

I vote for all of the above. If Lennon gets fired this year (and there is a good chance of that happening), I hope we could lure Bubba back to Grand Forks to take over the defense. He had good rapport with the players and his in-game instincts were top-notch. He could establish himself as the next head coach in waiting.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but that is all we have left at this point.

We need to sit the defense down and tell them in no uncertain terms that if they don't want to go out and smack someone they can ride the pine - I'd rather lose with attitude playing second and third in the depth chart than this death of 1000 cuts. I think the defensive play is the reason why fans are so frustrated. We are used to Fighting Sioux Football where win, lose, or draw, you knew you were in a football game. Right now, the buck stops with Muss. I'm not sure who was responsible for recruiting the defense, but we are clearly in over our heads at this division. It's hard to tell if this is a failure to recruit, a failure of our scheme, a failure to adjust, or players failure to execute - probably some of each. I'm not sure I see a fix this year - we are preparing for game 7 - nothing has improved significantly so far. I just know that we are a long ways from where we need to be in order to compete at this level.

We need to sit the defense down and tell them in no uncertain terms that if they don't want to go out and smack someone they can ride the pine - I'd rather lose with attitude playing second and third in the depth chart than this death of 1000 cuts. I think the defensive play is the reason why fans are so frustrated. We are used to Fighting Sioux Football where win, lose, or draw, you knew you were in a football game. Right now, the buck stops with Muss. I'm not sure who was responsible for recruiting the defense, but we are clearly in over our heads at this division. It's hard to tell if this is a failure to recruit, a failure of our scheme, a failure to adjust, or players failure to execute - probably some of each. I'm not sure I see a fix this year - we are preparing for game 7 - nothing has improved significantly so far. I just know that we are a long ways from where we need to be in order to compete at this level.

Our 3-4 scheme needs alot of production from the OLB's, we haven't had that in quite a while. Jablonski seems like a pretty natural pass rusher so maybe he needs more time in there blitzing. Bennett has way too much talent to have no production. Finely is big fast and strong and yet I have yet to see him smack somebody in two years of him getting reps. Maybe the answer will be the next crop of guys (Tuilongi Rich Jr. est.) but based on the talent level of the current crop we should be seeing more out of these guys.

Also we're really missing Dan Hendrickson strutting around the field and then knocking other plays unconscious on KO coverage and then forcing a three and out.

I don't know how long Goodman is out, but I would like to see Jablonski start while Goodman is out. We need someone inserted into this defense that can give this team a spark, and he just might be the guy.

I would seriously consider benching Mersereau if he continues to keep getting burned. Yes, he can ball hawk like no other, but I would rather have someone that can cover consistenly and not get burned time and time again and get a pick every once in a while. He should have a short leash for the rest of the year. I would also consider perhaps using a taller corner for a play or two to see what he can do. Mersereau is our tallest person in the secondary (6').

Try to get more pressure on the QB. I think that was the only thing I truly liked about last night that we got 3 sacks.

If there is one major thing that this team can improve on D this year? HOW ABOUT WE TACKLE!!!! Basic tacking fundamentals please, and if for whatever reason you can't make the tackle, hold them up for the rest of the troops to come. At least if we can do that, the defense will be light years ahead to where we currently are.

If we keep getting shredded like this the rest of the year... FIRE THE DC! Simple as that.

This defense needs to be challenge right now, if for whatever reason it hasn't already. Put something up as bulletin board material, make them do wind sprints till they puke if they miss a tackle in practice, anything at all. Get the message across that this is not acceptable anymore and starting jobs and playing time will be on the line for those who can and cannot answer the call.

Something wrong with your post is Goodman plays inside LB while Jablonski plays outside LB.

Also we're really missing Dan Hendrickson ...

No one has stepped into that "leader of the defense" role.

Next, this defense had issues last year playing a transitional schedule. Now it's facing top level FCS offenses.

My solution? I don't have one.

What I do know, however, is that football is won with an offensive line and a defensive front seven. If those aren't playing well things won't go well.

I vote for all of the above. If Lennon gets fired this year (and there is a good chance of that happening), I hope we could lure Bubba back to Grand Forks to take over the defense. He had good rapport with the players and his in-game instincts were top-notch. He could establish himself as the next head coach in waiting.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but that is all we have left at this point.

If we get Lennon back, I could see a lot of pressure on Muss to win because he knows who is in line for his job if he fails after his contract is over after the 2014 season.

If we get Lennon back, I could see a lot of pressure on Muss to win because he knows who is in line for his job if he fails after his contract is over after the 2014 season.

Muss would have to hire Lennon, so I bet that would not happen. As a coach you would never put a situation like that right in your lap.

This program has had 5 years to get ready for this. Considering how good EWU may be, I think Muss has to finish at 500 or better this year and with a favorable home schedule next year he must win 7 or more and either make the playoffs or be very close. Anything less and it is time to move on and find a new guy. Tolerating mediocrity while the UDDER school continues to excel will not sit well with me or any other alumni.

• Upvote 1

Why would UND bring back a coach who ran away from the transition period and has had no success at the D-I level?

With the schedule UND has this year, the expectation that UND would make the playoffs was unrealistic. It has been a tough reality check, but if the Sioux can't beat Northern Colorado, then it is definitely "Houston, we have a problem" and Lennon has not proven he would be the one who could fix it by what he has done at Southern Illinois.

This program has had 5 years to get ready for this. Considering how good EWU may be, I think Muss has to finish at 500 or better this year and with a favorable home schedule next year he must win 7 or more and either make the playoffs or be very close. Anything less and it is time to move on and find a new guy. Tolerating mediocrity while the UDDER school continues to excel will not sit well with me or any other alumni.

Totally agree. Losing to Sioux Falls, the numerous "moral victories", and the woodshed beating/no-show Saturday are just a few examples of the lowered bar for this program. I get the competition is better in the BS, but as Ole stated, 5 years of treading water isn't what should be expected at this point. IMO these next 2 weeks will tell us alot about Muss and his staff. IF UND gets the ball run down their throats, gets 35+ hung on them and loses both games...well, you know what my opinion will be.

Anyone thing UND is too caught up in hiring institutionalised coaches? I know its great to have former players on the staff and all but it seems like we go a bit overboard. Maybe we miss out on some good ones just to keep a familiar face.

You raise a good point. In the past I have supported Mussman because realistically he inherited a less than desirable position in regards to the transition. I also did not expect us to make the playoffs (although a guy can hope).

However, I am starting to wonder if a non UND coach would help move the needle? IDK at this point, but I do know that we have some issues that need fixing now and I cannot remember a UND defense that was this bad. Heck, maybe even a non-UND defensive coordinator would make all the difference...

You raise a good point. In the past I have supported Mussman because realistically he inherited a less than desirable position in regards to the transition. I also did not expect us to make the playoffs (although a guy can hope).

However, I am starting to wonder if a non UND coach would help move the needle? IDK at this point, but I do know that we have some issues that need fixing now and I cannot remember a UND defense that was this bad. Heck, maybe even a non-UND defensive coordinator would make all the difference...

It worked for NDSU who hired a DC of an FBS powerhouse in Nebraska. I say (and in no disrespect) screw the former players and hire some coaches from FBS teams. They have experience in big time games where our players do not. Muss didn't know what its like to play against Big 12 teams like Bohl. UND needs to throw some more money on the football program starting with salaries and hire up. Did I expect UND to make the playoffs no. I think we are doing good to a point but that 55-17 throbbing thanks to poor special teams and pass defense isn't what UND fans thought we would see now two weeks in a row. In fact if we lose to NAU and UM fine but if the losses go to SUU and UNC then its time for some changes and since Muss is under contract then change the coordinator and see if that helps. We are 3-3 if UND goes less than 6-5 that is not acceptable. We cannot have another 2010 season.

It worked for NDSU who hired a DC of an FBS powerhouse in Nebraska. I say (and in no disrespect) screw the former players and hire some coaches from FBS teams. They have experience in big time games where our players do not. Muss didn't know what its like to play against Big 12 teams like Bohl. UND needs to throw some more money on the football program starting with salaries and hire up. Did I expect UND to make the playoffs no. I think we are doing good to a point but that 55-17 throbbing thanks to poor special teams and pass defense isn't what UND fans thought we would see now two weeks in a row. In fact if we lose to NAU and UM fine but if the losses go to SUU and UNC then its time for some changes and since Muss is under contract then change the coordinator and see if that helps. We are 3-3 if UND goes less than 6-5 that is not acceptable. We cannot have another 2010 season.

Not to say some criticism isn't warranted, but in all fairness, Mussman played at Iowa State (back in the Big 8 days), so he does have a pretty good idea of what it's like to play against that level of competition.

Not to say some criticism isn't warranted, but in all fairness, Mussman played at Iowa State (back in the Big 8 days), so he does have a pretty good idea of what it's like to play against that level of competition.

ISU isn't a real FBS team. ;) Well maybe he can recruit some of their coaches this way.

In all due respect, playing vs. coaching is apples to oranges.

In all due respect, playing vs. coaching is apples to oranges.

I was just responding to the bolded part of darrell's post. Given how the defense has performed this year, certainly there's some valid reasons for criticism. But whether Muss has the requisite experience against "big time" opponents, whether it be as a coach or player, would be pretty far down the list, IMO.