SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Step away from the ledge, Michigan.

Good luck finding somebody better.

Maybe the Athletic Director thinks he could do a better job?

Red can't go out there and score goals and stop pucks.

Longest NCAA streak, and you want to fire the coach?!?!?!?!??!

etc.

etc.

I swear, your settings on siouxsports are set to 'notify me of ANYTHING MafiaMan says,' aren't they?

I happen to have friends out in Ann Arbor who say the same thing I wrote. Nobody saw this train-wreck season coming. I didn't say I agreed with it, did I?

Red's a legend and this season doesn't change that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tim Whitehead get the axe at the end of this season. IIRC, last year was kind of considered a 'make or break it' year for his position, and Maine ended up pulling out a great season. But, I'm not sure that will buy him many (or any) extra years when his team is sitting in last in Hockey East. Going into this series against BC, they had one conference win. One.

When was his last ring?

According to some, if you don't win a national title every three years, the coach should be fired. :p

Did a little research since I'm soooo bored at work. Michigan hasn't won a national championship since '98.

Red has gotten his team to the Frozen Four 5 times since then, but he must be a horrible coach, cause he can't seem to walk away from them with the national title in hand.

Red was the head coach at Michigan for 12 years before earning his first national championship. By that comparison, Hak still has until 2016.

Regarding BC, they're devastated by injuries right now. Lots of guys out. But for them to get swept by this years Maine team while playing at home is borderline pathetic. I have a buddy who lives out in Maine so he really enjoyed it and has been texting me like crazy. He said with all the injuries BC has they look like a completely different team, even with Gaudreau still playing. Another crazy stat: He said that this is the first time BC has been swept at home since January 23, 1993. I don't know if that's correct or not, but if it is then all I have to say is holy s---!

Step away from the ledge, Michigan.

Good luck finding somebody better.

Maybe the Athletic Director thinks he could do a better job?

Red can't go out on the ice and score goals and stop pucks.

Longest NCAA streak, and you want to fire the coach?!?!?!?!??!

etc.

etc.

BTW, passit, Red is almost 75 years old too.

I also agree with keikla on Tim Whitehead. He was the sentimental choice after the untimely passing of Shawn Walsh, but I think a last-place HE finish might tilt opinions against him in a big way.

Regarding BC, they're devastated by injuries right now. Lots of guys out. But for them to get swept by this years Maine team while playing at home is borderline pathetic. I have a buddy who lives out in Maine so he really enjoyed it and has been texting me like crazy. He said with all the injuries BC has they look like a completely different team, even with Gaudreau still playing. Another crazy stat: He said that this is the first time BC has been swept at home since January 23, 1993. I don't know if that's correct or not, but if it is then all I have to say is holy s---!

If true stat, very crazy. But how many true series do they play at home in a season?

GF Herald article - College Hockey: Diving becoming a problem

“It’s tough, it really is,” Shepherd said. “Knock on wood, I think it’s more of a problem out East than it is in the WCHA. We have a few people that do. I’d be a liar if I said we didn’t. The refs, in their minds, know who the culprits are. I don’t think everyone does it every time they get hit or touched, but there are certain times people try to take advantage of it.

UND coach Dave Hakstol said he hopes the coaching body will address the issue soon.

“It’s a huge problem,” he said. “But nobody wants to address it. Teams are being rewarded for embellishing and diving. That’s been the case over the last several years. It’s getting worse. Until we want to address it as a body of coaches on a consolidated basis as leagues, it will get worse.”

I like how Shepherd talks about the diving epidemic like he and the other refs aren't part of the problem. Gimme a break! You can't simply pin this on the coaches and players.

Hak said "teams are being rewarded" for it. By who? Clearly the officials.

I read this article after I literally saw a kid lay on the ice for an extended period of time to get a 5 minute major in a 1 goal game w/ about 3 minutes left in the game. Kid was out on the first shift on the power play too. Reminded me of what MacWilliam was talking about in the article when it happened.

The kid laying on the ice was a Badger recruit, FYI.

I like how Shepherd talks about the diving epidemic like he and the other refs aren't part of the problem. Gimme a break! You can't simply pin this on the coaches and players.

Hak said "teams are being rewarded" for it. By who? Clearly the officials.

Simple solution since Shepard admits that they know it is a dive. Don't call them. It would not take very long to realize that diving is not going to get a penalty it might stop.

Trust me he's over 21, of that there is no doubt.

Pick your favorite response:

(a) Dude should act his age, not his shoe size.

(b) When he walks from a room full of UND fans into a room full of NDSU fans the average IQ of both rooms goes up.

Pick your favorite response:

(a) Dude should act his age, not his shoe size.

(b) When he walks from a room full of UND fans into a room full of NDSU fans the average IQ of both rooms goes up.

Definite winner