SiouxSports.com Forum

Major announcement

Teeder11

Sorry but GF and Fargo agree with Hayduke last election and probably will again. Romney couldnt even beat McCain last time!

Sorry my peace has been said. Thank you Hamm for this great gift.

I understand.

But, the point that I made was that politics do not figure in this donation. It's a good thing for UND. Period.

Are you asking for it for speaking such blasphemy. :lol:

I get nothing but !@#$ here anyways. I miss the atmosphere of the old ralph. The new one, honestly bored me away from fandom. I mean nice facility and all, but having nice seats doesn't make a good atmosphere or a good place to watch a game. If you want to sit down and watch a sporting event in a cushioned chair, do it in your living room. Note that I haven't been to the REA since the 2009-2010 season, haven't had season tickets since 05-06 (i had season tickets or access to season tickets from 2002-2006), and I really have no interest in ever going back. I don't even like hockey anymore, after being a pretty big fan in high school and my first two years at UND.

• Upvote 1

I get nothing but !@#$ here anyways. I miss the atmosphere of the old ralph. The new one, honestly bored me away from fandom. I mean nice facility and all, but having nice seats doesn't make a good atmosphere or a good place to watch a game. If you want to sit down and watch a sporting event in a cushioned chair, do it in your living room. Note that I haven't been to the REA since the 2009-2010 season, haven't had season tickets since 05-06 (i had season tickets or access to season tickets from 2002-2006), and I really have no interest in ever going back. I don't even like hockey anymore, after being a pretty big fan in high school and my first two years at UND.

Thought you were a UND hockey fan? But you don't even like hockey anymore?

Thought you were a UND hockey fan? But you don't even like hockey anymore?

Not a hockey fan. I'm more football and BB. Granted a level of disgust over the 2008-2011 period had made me notably pessimistic toward football in particular, but winning cures most things. Also I'm young enough where it is not a contradiction to be a fan of both UND and NDSU football, something that most 'older' people, particularly older UND fans in my experience, cant wrap their head around.

Join the club and I am with you on the old arena. A place where people came to watch the game and not to see who was seeing them at the game. I know a few season ticket holders now that never went to a game at the old arena or even paid any attention to UND hockey.
  • Upvote 1

Join the club and I am with you on the old arena. A place where people came to watch the game and not to see who was seeing them at the game. I know a few season ticket holders now that never went to a game at the old arena or even paid any attention to UND hockey.

I so miss the old REA. There wasn't a better home ice advantage. I sometimes wish we could have just one more game there.

Another true comment. How many people here went to the old arena on a regular basis?

Although off topic, I will add my opinion. (maybe we could get a thread split "Old Ralph vs New Ralph")

I believe the Old Ralph is romanticized a bit too much by some fans. I spent many many years going to games there, it was a very basic "earthy" building, but had an awesome environment...when UND was winning. The new Ralph has built itself to about equal with the old building for home ice advantage in this fan's opinion. Sure, you get the people who are there just to be seen, but that is going to happen with any large nice venue anywhere in the country. Try going to a Lakers game...

• Upvote 1

First of all when you say "Old Arena" there are some that remember the chicken wire around rink in the barn - way before my time but they have good stories. The "old" Ralph was where legends were born - the rubber chicken on a pole they used to hang over the goalies head during warm-up, the live TV broadcast vs Wisconsin where they had the badger drop from the rafters and had it placed perfectly so it swung in front of the TV camera, the dead badgers, gophers, live chicken? that got thrown on the ice, the knock-down dragout fights, standing in line outside for several hours in below zero weather to get a seat - the memories.

Only during games. :) First game attended was in 82? and Sioux got beat by UW 9-0...ugh...

My first game was in 84. UND got beat by CC. But I remember in Jan 87 UND vs Yale and Hrkac with a wrap around goal. That was awesome to see. That whole team was amazing!!! I still have the game program to this day.

Another true comment. How many people here went to the old arena on a regular basis?

I loved going to games there as a kid. I remember the crowd would get the wave going perfectly!! Now 3/4 of the crowd is too lazy and comfortable in their cushioned seats to stand up for the wave, many people don't even stand for goals.....

I loved going to games there as a kid. I remember the crowd would get the wave going perfectly!! Now 3/4 of the crowd is too lazy and comfortable in their cushioned seats to stand up for the wave, many people don't even stand for goals.....

I remember that too. It would last for a long time and would go fast and slow then fast. It was amazing to watch.

That, and the fact that "The Wave" is outdated an longer the thing to do. I have never liked the wave, however, I do recall the unique wave which used to be done in the mid 90's at the old Ralph. At least it was the first time I had seen it done. It would begin with a regular wave for the first couple of rounds and then a few of the students who were leading it, would slow it down. Then when it came back around, they would make it make it super fast. That's about the only time I enjoyed watching the wave.

I just wish they would let the students stand again... they are plenty that wait for hours each weekend who would love to lead the entire section to a more rowdy atmosphere. Also, I will never get past my "move the band out of the lower bowl" campaign. Two things that would help.

• Upvote 1

I just wish they would let the students stand again... they are plenty that wait for hours each weekend who would love to lead the entire section to a more rowdy atmosphere. Also, I will never get past my "move the band out of the lower bowl" campaign. Two things that would help.

But they block the view of the money in the suites. Who really are not watching that much to start with.

I went to the old RALPH a lot after I moved to Crookston in 1982 and became a student at UND. My son who would eventually graduate from UND was taken to his first hockey games as an infant, We would sit on the seats in the student section with him in his car seat. He wasn't even a year old when we started taking him to games. Moved to Southern MN and my family still travels to many UND hockey games with my family. I was telling another former student how much I miss the atmosphere of being in attendance at games in Grand Forks.