SiouxSports.com Forum

Major announcement

Teeder11

If an Over/Under betting line had been established on how many posts this thread would have before Watchmaker 49 or gfhockey said something negative, the line would have opened at about 3. And I would have lost $$$ by betting the under, as I fully expected that the second post would be one of his verbal banquets ... I wonder what took him so long this time?

FYP. :)

Not when the strings strangle you.

We get it, Mr. Hamm is the big, bad boogeyman of Big Oil. Moreover, he is Romney's chief energy advisor and doesn't share your politics. Therefore, you assume there must be something sinister about this gift, even though you probably don't know any more about the specifics of this deal than anyone else. So you post some cryptic messages pretending that you have the inside scoop and the Big Oilman is pulling a fast one on the State of North Dakota and you're the only one smart enough to see it.

We get it, Mr. Hamm is the big, bad boogeyman of Big Oil. Moreover, he is Romney's chief energy advisor and doesn't share your politics. Therefore, you assume there must be something sinister about this gift, even though you probably don't know any more about the specifics of this deal than anyone else. So you post some cryptic messages pretending that you have the inside scoop and the Big Oilman is pulling a fast one on the State of North Dakota and you're the only one smart enough to see it.

To me politics has nothing to do with this gift. I am an Obama supporter, but I am happy for this gift to UND. I could care less about the politics of anyone donating to a university. Heck, I'm happy for Dick Cheney's financial support of my grad school at U of Wyoming.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you could make up the difference. :silly:

Most universities in the country can't even get this type of donation from their most successful alumni and Mr. Hamm is a gentleman who has no ties to the UND but still gave the university a boatload of money.

The University of Oregon has Phil Knight and UND has Ralph Engelstad. There aren't anymore of those types around. But UND has been very fortunate to have guys like James Ray and Harold Hamm who because of the Aerospace and Oil Industries have decided to invest in these programs. This will give the University of North Dakota a chance to bring the Geology School to the level of the Aerospace School. Thanks to the generosity of people like Engelstad, Hamm & Ray, UND is blessed with world class facilities & programs that others can only dream about.

Brother, I would love to make up the difference. Again, I am very grateful for the donation and the impact it will eventually have on UND as well as students. I guess the point I was trying to make is that I had anticipated that Mr. Hamm and his company might have donated in the $20-$30 million range, seeing as he is receiving naming rights to the school as well as roughly 50 new engineers for his oil fields per year. It was a big announcement and I am excited about the prospects this has for not only UND but the state of North Dakota. No need for FACEPALMS.

Once you look like this real nice guy it is much easier to get a huge tax cut for yourself. His first effort failed so time to try a new tactic.

So you're saying he gave that much money in the hopes of securing a tax cut? Even if he did get a tax cut, would the tax cut equal 10 million?

Once you look like this real nice guy it is much easier to get a huge tax cut for yourself. His first effort failed so time to try a new tactic.

The general public isn't going to support cutting the oil extraction tax because of something like this. The general public doesn't connect his name with oil, they think of names like BP or Mobil.

This is about helping get more qualified employees for the oil fields. That is worth a lot more money than cutting the oil extraction tax. As Mr. Hamm stated, he believes that they are only able to extract 2.5-3% of the oil that is actually there. Just doubling that amount would be worth a lot more than cutting a few percent off the oil extraction tax. If just 1 of these students figures out how to increase the amount of oil they can extract from the current wells Mr. Hamm could make this money back many times over. It is a wise investment for him and a great gift for UND.

Explain Sheldon Addelson? Easily reach 10 million, also remember this donation is a tax write off also.

Oh you are so right, now, I am completely disgusted by this Trojan Horse of a gift! Thank you for spelling this out for us. I couldn't be more outraged by this feigned gesture of generosity. The gall of this man to set us up so brilliantly without us rubes having even the slightest hint that we were, in all actuality, being had!!!! The nerve! :glare:

Not when the strings strangle you.

So give your thoughts on those who tithe to the church of their choice? Give to the Salvation Army? I could go on...

Your constant assumption, on any topic, that people have an underlying diabolical plan to take advantage of others for their own personal gain is simply disturbing!

Explain Sheldon Addelson? Easily reach 10 million, also remember this donation is a tax write off also.

Good for him then. If the IRS allows a billionaire to write off a donation on his taxes, why shouldn't he be able to do it. That is a problem in the tax code not the person paying taxes.

So give your thoughts on those who tithe to the church of their choice? Give to the Salvation Army? I could go on...

Your constant assumption, on any topic, that people have an underlying diabolical plan to take advantage of others for their own personal gain is simply disturbing!

Welcome to the real world.

I was expecting a more substantial announcement than this. $14 million is nice and much appreciated, but how far will it really stretch in terms of new facilities, research, scholarships, and new faculty lines? Not trying to be ungrateful, just realistic.

It is huge, and that is realistic! Very generous donation. It is a big boost to an Engineering program that has been very good for a long time and has had rapid growth the last couple of years. Todays students look for the bells and whistles and the glitz. This provides money for scholarships, faculty, and bricks and mortar. The answer is thanks very much and foster this realtionship for years to come.

• Upvote 2

No wonder you are so miserable and underacheiving, as you are about the most ungracious jackass around. Not thankful for anything. The man has said he will give away half his fortune, and you bitch and moan. Seriously, can anyone stand to be around you?

To me politics has nothing to do with this gift. I am an Obama supporter, but I am happy for this gift to UND. I could care less about the politics of anyone donating to a university. Heck, I'm happy for Dick Cheney's financial support of my grad school at U of Wyoming.

That's too bad.

• Upvote 3