SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

Having a "team party" where they make the freshmen drink more alcohol than one can handle isn't hurting anyone?

First of all, this is tying back to this undocumented conjecture that someone had alcohol poisoning- which I have not seen confirmed.

Secondly- I said not trying to hurt somebody, and I would stand by that. Do you think they want to do irreparable physical harm to a teammate? No way, they want to bust him up, laugh at him a bit, and build some shared experiences.

First of all, this is tying back to this undocumented conjecture that someone had alcohol poisoning- which I have not seen confirmed.

Secondly- I said not trying to hurt somebody, and I would stand by that. Do you think they want to do irreparable physical harm to a teammate? No way, they want to bust him up, laugh at him a bit, and build some shared experiences.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. By your standards they were sitting around drinking Mi Tie all evening while playing a smashing game of scrabble. Then the captains dropped off the freshmen players and they talked about what a great experience they had that evening. :silly:

• Upvote 1

During the 1996-97 NCAA Championship Season (the season of the hard winter and flood), Brian Zierke (#19), one of the left-over spare parts from the fallen Gino regime, got into a bar fight. Blais booted him off the team. I do think it was his second or third incident, so he was gone. That is the type of discipline I am talking about. To be fair, Hakstol did kick Frattin off the team and that helped straighten him out. But sometimes I think Hak should wield that stick more often to re-enforce the message. These are 18-22 year olds and sometimes you have to repeat yourself like a broken record to drill the message into their thick skulls.

Did drinking happen during the Blais regime? Yes it did. Did players end up on the police blotter this much? Heck no. If these kids want to have parties, have fun and blow off some steam, that is fine. But when people are drinking so much that the police are involved, then you will have problems. Have your parties in private homes and behave yourself and you will be fine. But these kids sometimes act like they are invincible and untouchable because of their status as a member of the team and that leads to trouble. These distractions are not good for a team that has the talent to contend this year.

• Upvote 1

Did players end up on the police blotter this much?

Here's a little speculation/rumor/claim/allegation>>>the cops let the boys go with a warning more often than not 'back in the day'. Public scrutiny doesn't allow that type of police behavior in this day and age of social media like Facebook, etc. Just sayin'/speculatin'/rumor-mongering/alleging........

As the mother of two young men, I am keenly aware of 'boys will be boys' stupidity. My youngest, an athlete in his day, not a drinker or user did more to drive me to the Lady Clairol bottle than I thought possible. I acutally took him to the cop shop after I found out about an illegal 'shenanigan'. I don't condon irresponsible/illegal behavior and I don't condon irresponsible rumor mongering. As a fan, I have respect and trust in Hak and his crew taking care of business.

This hockey party has been happening since at least 1984.

I went to a hockey party back in the 1990's when I was in college - that was a good party... I can't imagine that they stopped having team parties after the games on Saturday Nights...

I went to a hockey party back in the 1990's when I was in college - that was a good party... I can't imagine that they stopped having team parties after the games on Saturday Nights...

I by the grace of God found myself at a hockey party too when I was at UND....one time.....epic.....just fricken epic.....probably laws broken too. Dean Blais was the head coach.....FYI.

I by the grace of God found myself at a hockey party too when I was at UND....one time.....epic.....just fricken epic.....probably laws broken too. Dean Blais was the head coach.....FYI.

I went to a party during the last year of the Gino's coaching career. My buddy was visiting and we went to Dagwoods after the game and he got us invited to a party at the appartment building under the Travel Agency by Speedway. Let me just say that it was a lot of fun.

We used to have all campus parties at the now empty slot of land on University Avenue across from the library. Never even thought about checking an I.D. The beer distributors treated us(and other houses) like an account, they would bring signage and give us swag to give away....hell McKinnon even put the large Clydesdale in our front yard a few times. It wasn't uncommon for us to burn through 20-25 kegs at these events......times have changed. :sad:

I went to a party during the last year of the Gino's coaching career. My buddy was visiting and we went to Dagwoods after the game and he got us invited to a party at the appartment building under the Travel Agency by Speedway. Let me just say that it was a lot of fun.

I know the place!

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. By your standards they were sitting around drinking Mi Tie all evening while playing a smashing game of scrabble. Then the captains dropped off the freshmen players and they talked about what a great experience they had that evening. :silly:

Mai Tai

Secondly, did you never have a very, very drunken evening with a few buddies that resulted in a much stronger bond? All of my good friendships have some shared alcohol experience. It kind of proves that your boys have your back and will still like you even when you are a drunken douche.

I honestly think that the lawn mower throwing was way worse than an initiation party...

During the 1996-97 NCAA Championship Season (the season of the hard winter and flood), Brian Zierke (#19), one of the left-over spare parts from the fallen Gino regime, got into a bar fight. Blais booted him off the team. I do think it was his second or third incident, so he was gone. That is the type of discipline I am talking about. To be fair, Hakstol did kick Frattin off the team and that helped straighten him out. But sometimes I think Hak should wield that stick more often to re-enforce the message. These are 18-22 year olds and sometimes you have to repeat yourself like a broken record to drill the message into their thick skulls.

Did drinking happen during the Blais regime? Yes it did. Did players end up on the police blotter this much? Heck no. If these kids want to have parties, have fun and blow off some steam, that is fine. But when people are drinking so much that the police are involved, then you will have problems. Have your parties in private homes and behave yourself and you will be fine. But these kids sometimes act like they are invincible and untouchable because of their status as a member of the team and that leads to trouble. These distractions are not good for a team that has the talent to contend this year.

Bar fight is much worse than an initiation party- that is violence and is in the same vein as the BU assaults

I would support the removal of any player who was assaulting other people off the ice, and I would personally have the player arrested if they were sexually assaulting women.

I may have been there a time or two. That was more a UND hoops locale as I remember.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall if he was suspended when he got his minor...here is DU's UND "rap sheet"

August, 2005 - UND Captain Matt Greene arrested for DUI

July, 2006 - Robbie Bina Arrested For DUI

September, 2006 - Joe Finley arrested for "Loud Party"

November, 2006 - Jonathan Toews charged with "minor in consumption and noisy party gathering"

February, 2007 - Toews, T.J. Oshie & Bina arrested at Judy's Tavern

February, 2007- Grand Forks Police Chief Packett addresses team

April, 2007 - Toews & Oshie plead guilty

May, 2007 - Finley ordered to pay fine & perform community service

December, 2007 - Oshie arrested again, this time for disorderly conduct allegedly after peeing in an elevator

July, 2009 - Finley & Matt Frattin arrested for disorderly conduct, fleeing from police and giving false information

August, 2009 - Frattin arrested again. This time its DUI

September, 2010 - Danny Kristo cited by police for underage drinking

January, 2011 - Danny Kristo suffers frostbite in "Snowbank Incident"

April 2012 - Michael Parks cited for underage drinking

August 2012 - Dan Senkbeil cited for underage drinking & running from cops

August 2012 - Michael Parks cited for underage drinking for 2nd time

September 2012- Captains Andrew MacWilliam, Corban Knight, Danny Kristo & Carter Rowney suspended one game after "unacceptable behavior at team party"

I'll admit to criticizing Hak in the past for some issues, but team discipline isn't one of them. There is no doubt in my mind he's acted appropriately on this matter. I am amazed that this thread has taken on a life of its own. Hak is in a position to know all the facts on this. Let's trust him and move on to a hockey discussion that involves ice and skates.

I don't recall if he was suspended when he got his minor...here is DU's UND "rap sheet"

August, 2005 - UND Captain Matt Greene arrested for DUI

July, 2006 - Robbie Bina Arrested For DUI

September, 2006 - Joe Finley arrested for "Loud Party"

November, 2006 - Jonathan Toews charged with "minor in consumption and noisy party gathering"

February, 2007 - Toews, T.J. Oshie & Bina arrested at Judy's Tavern

February, 2007- Grand Forks Police Chief Packett addresses team

April, 2007 - Toews & Oshie plead guilty

May, 2007 - Finley ordered to pay fine & perform community service

December, 2007 - Oshie arrested again, this time for disorderly conduct allegedly after peeing in an elevator

July, 2009 - Finley & Matt Frattin arrested for disorderly conduct, fleeing from police and giving false information

August, 2009 - Frattin arrested again. This time its DUI

September, 2010 - Danny Kristo cited by police for underage drinking

January, 2011 - Danny Kristo suffers frostbite in "Snowbank Incident"

April 2012 - Michael Parks cited for underage drinking

August 2012 - Dan Senkbeil cited for underage drinking & running from cops

August 2012 - Michael Parks cited for underage drinking for 2nd time

September 2012- Captains Andrew MacWilliam, Corban Knight, Danny Kristo & Carter Rowney suspended one game after "unacceptable behavior at team party"

Yeah I don't remember Kristo ever getting suspended before this season. This the first that I can recall.

All lies. Dean Blais would have never allowed this to happen. If he would have found out about such a party, all players of the team would have been kicked off the team and replaced with a different overage Canadian.

How dare you tell this obvious fabrication of details of a Dean Blais-led team. It never happened and you know it...he had complete control of his team, unlike this Dave Hakstol fool. If Hakstol doesn't kick Kristo off the team and take his first born son, then I have lost complete respect for him.

Carry on. :D

• Upvote 2

All lies. Dean Blais would have never allowed this to happen. If he would have found out about such a party, all players of the team would have been kicked off the team and replaced with a different overage Canadian.

How dare you tell this obvious fabrication of details of a Dean Blais-led team. It never happened and you know it...he had complete control of his team, unlike this Dave Hakstol fool. If Hakstol doesn't kick Kristo off the team and take his first born son, then I have lost complete respect for him.

Carry on. :D

I was at a game once where his team blew a two goal lead....totally serious Brian....totally....

The apartment's under Brekke Travel are legendary. I have been to a few.

I was at a game once where his team blew a two goal lead....totally serious Brian....totally....

I never said Blais was "God" or "Perfect". All I said was team discipline improved almost as soon as he took over in 1994. And it is totally fair game to ask questions like this after a party bust involving member of the team. I would rather do that than be like half of Bisonville who keep white-washing all the crap their players pull. Accountability is an ongoing effort, it is never "done". And I will not apologize for it. Good day everyone.