SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/245236/

Is this UND trying to outshine NDSU and say "we take responsibilty for our athletes actions"? Why would captains be suspended when no citations or other tickets were issued. My guess is this was probably the rookie party perhaps and word got out of some of the shennanigans (sp?)

I see it as Hak conducting business as usual. The fact he suspended captains should send a strong message to everybody else.

Not every program (read: 'su) needs a jury verdict, appeal and a general wailing and gnashing of teeth to suspend players for simply screwing up.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120918/SPORTS0207/120918004/UNI-suspends-senior-basketball-guard-Anthony-James-for-3-games?Frontpage&nclick_check=1

But how did they screw up? Was it college kids having a party? We're they throwing objects into the street? That's what I don't get. Having a loud(er) party and police coming and saying "It's too loud just send everyone home" usually doesn't warrant suspensions, where say having 4 contributing and 12 minors or something of the sorts would.

But how did they screw up? Was it college kids having a party? We're they throwing objects into the street? That's what I don't get. Having a loud(er) party and police coming and saying "It's too loud just send everyone home" usually doesn't warrant suspensions, where say having 4 contributing and 12 minors or something of the sorts would.

Does it matter? Rules are rules. If you're not going to enforce them, don't bother writing them.

My guess is that it was a timing thing. This coming on the heels for Jimmer and Parksy getting in trouble. It's Hak sending a message to a team that has potential to be really really good. Did Knight, Kristo, Mac and Rowns cause the problem? My guess is not, but if it was a whole team at the party, who do you suspend? The captians... I think it's not a big deal and is frankly solved.

OK lets be honest about this as to would they have been suspended if not for the NDSU issue? I doubt they would have been.

I think that's a fair question. To honestly answer, I'd have to say I don't know. Hak has never been scared to give out a "team rules" suspension in the past.

I'll concede, though, that in the light of the NDSU issues and all of the negative press they're getting, it made the decision a whole lot easier. Ultimately, I don't think Hak had a choice.

loud party is a class-b misdemeanor, which according to this board is grounds for getting kicked off the team, as well as the death penalty.

These suspensions have nothing to do with what NDSU DIDN'T do. These suspensions are meant to let everyone else that plays a sport on campus that this will not be accepted. UND should have a very good hockey team this year and this should let everyone know that their mind should be on hockey and not partying.

As an NDSU alum, but life-long Sioux/UND hockey fan, I applaud Hak and the UND administration for their actions in this matter. It may seem to just be "boys being boys" to the outsider, but it matters when you want your program to be respected by those outside the team and within the team.

I only hope that the NDSU people come to their senses and dole out just punishment to the players that are found to be guilty of the forgeries of signatures on those petitions. Whether you would have voted for or against the topics of those petitions, it doesn't matter. I feel cheated as a North Dakota resident by not being able to cast my vote on those matters. The NCAA usually becomes very interested when athletes receive pay for doing nothing, and this might just become more of a problem for the NDSU football program than they ever could have imagined.

Congrats to Hak, and best of luck for a great season (and one to be looked up to as ethical from top to bottom).

• Upvote 3

OK lets be honest about this as to would they have been suspended if not for the NDSU issue? I doubt they would have been.

So before this incident, your stance was that if something happened with UND Hockey that there would be no suspensions and it would be dealt with just the same as NDSU dealt with their miscreants. Even after examples such as Oshie and Frattin were pointed out, and Blake with the previous head coach. Now that something did happen, and there are suspensions and it isn't dealt with the same way that NDSU deals with such issues, it is only because NDSU did nothing?

Maybe Bresciani did do something at NDSU and we just haven't heard about it.

I have heard that there is a little-known codicil in the NDSU constitution. It gives the president unlimited to power to restore order. Bresciani is using that power to put all 10 of the players on "double secret probation".

well of course you have to think this way to continue justify the actions of the AC administration. Bottom line is they did the right thing and held them accountable - and guess what there is no "day in court" and they still did the right thing. SU is the Chris Farley of college sports.

well of course you have to think this way to continue justify the actions of the AC administration. Bottom line is they did the right thing and held them accountable - and guess what there is no "day in court" and they still did the right thing. SU is the Chris Farley of college sports.

Not quite. Of course they did the right thing but would they have if not for what the AC did not do. Faison has never been involved before with any hockey suspensions why the public annoucment by him this time?

Not quite. Of course they did the right thing but would they have if not for what the AC did not do. Faison has never been involved before with any hockey suspensions why the public annoucment by him this time?

Good point brought up. I guess we'll never know. But I'm glad that our AD got up and called these players out instead of standing up and calling his student athletes "victims".

• Upvote 1

loud party is a class-b misdemeanor, which according to this board is grounds for getting kicked off the team, as well as the death penalty.

Actually, people on this board just think that some sort of punishment is warranted for a Class A misdemeanor, not sticking your head in the sand and making the players to be the victims for their poor behavior. Maybe it's because your administration under-reacted to the situation down south, you felt it necessary to embellish people's call for action.

*cough* freshman hazing *cough

Did no one else come to this conclusion?

The captains were suspended, yet the whole team was involved... think about it.

That was suggested on one of the many threads where this has been discussed today. But that would be a supposition at this point rather than a conclusion. You are operating with a very limited amount of information. Here's another supposition. The team has already had 2 minors during the first couple of weeks of school. Perhaps Hakstol warned the team about alcohol incidents after that and then the team goes out and has a big party. Maybe Hakstol and Faison decided to get the team's attention by suspending the captains, the players that are supposed to be the most responsible on the team, hoping that there wouldn't be any more incidents during the year. I don't know if that's what happened, but it makes as much sense as any other theory thrown out today.

That was suggested on one of the many threads where this has been discussed today. But that would be a supposition at this point rather than a conclusion. You are operating with a very limited amount of information. Here's another supposition. The team has already had 2 minors during the first couple of weeks of school. Perhaps Hakstol warned the team about alcohol incidents after that and then the team goes out and has a big party. Maybe Hakstol and Faison decided to get the team's attention by suspending the captains, the players that are supposed to be the most responsible on the team, hoping that there wouldn't be any more incidents during the year. I don't know if that's what happened, but it makes as much sense as any other theory thrown out today.

Both are legit possibilities and both make a lot of sense. It still strikes me odd that Faison got involved where he never had before. Maybe a little showboating on Faison's part? Which then makes me think that Hak might not have been happy with Faison sticking his nose in. If t had been big enough of an event Hak would have done it all on his own without Faison. In the past it might not have been big enough but with those idiots in Fargo he had to this time. More fall-out from the cow chasers from the south's actions. Like a little stone in a pond the waves grow and grow.

Good point brought up. I guess we'll never know. But I'm glad that our AD got up and called these players out instead of standing up and calling his student athletes "victims".

Which we have to give him credit for. UND sure won this battle of showmanship hands down. Now we look real good and this only makes the AC look even worse. Even more so is the fact that everyone here seems to agree with the decision to suspend them and commends the brass for their actions without even knowing what happened. How everyone here is responding to this makes me proud to be a UND fan with the people here. I feel I am in good company.

Hazing incident was confirmed by Kristo. It was reported by one of the Montreal Canadiens' media people on Twitter.