SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Just what we all needed: Another reason for the Legislature to cast the stink-eye toward NDUS institutions.

(State laws were broken by student-athletes. Don't think this won't be used by some in the Legislature at a later date. And it will be good for none.)

Or if this really unwinds into something bigger, somebody in Indiana may cough "lack of institutional control" ... sort of like the whispers going around Missoula right now.

Or if this really unwinds into something bigger, somebody in Indiana may cough "lack of institutional control" ... sort of like the whispers going around Missoula right now.

C'mon Scott, I've read the other school's board. This is just a conspiracy by UND grads out to get NDSU football players.

Uh, no; unless something's changed from his 12:45 pm presser, Bohl is going to legal process play out and those 8 (including 4 DBs and a starting tail back) will play Saturday.

I could of swore he said in his interview that all 8 will sit out. At the 1:45 mark in the interview it sounds like he is asked "so they won't play saturday"? Listened to it again and it sure sounds like that is what he asked.

This is the best post I see on BVille about this:

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by JustinTyemviewpost-right.png

I wish they could sue every person for making false accusations in the media aka kfgo and others!!!!! This is simple B.S. I hope they get a great attorney.

This quote is by tjbison

You have facts to support its BS? Something happened, NDSU players were involved, it's not a god damn conspiracy against NDSU, UND grads are not out to get NDSU football players

Fact of the matter if NDSU players stopped acting fucking stupid this !@#$ wouldn't happen....I can't believe some have such blinders on and think this is a plot to topple NDSU

Wow get real, I'm going delirious reading some of this

tjbison is dead on with this.

So NDSU players break the law and it is somehow apart of UND's devious plot to undermine Bison football and rule the FCS? Where do they get this stuff from? Odds are someone with a law degree from the state of North Dakota went to school at UND, we have the only law school in the state.

http://www.ncaa.com/...allot-initiativ

The players were paid $9 an hour to gather signatures for two citizen initiatives, which sought to set up a state conservation fund and make marijuana legal for medical treatments. Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem said many of the petition signatures were copied from phone books or fabricated.

Bison coach Craig Bohl said the players have cooperated with investigators and any team discipline will be decided after they finish legal proceedings. The players will be eligible to play this weekend against Colorado State, he said.

The citizen initiatives advocated creating a new state conservation fund, financed by a share of North Dakota’s burgeoning oil tax collections, and the legal use of marijuana to treat symptoms of debilitating illnesses.

Supporters of the conservation initiative paid a consulting firm $145,000 to collect the petition signatures it needed to qualify for the ballot. The measure’s chairman, Stephen Adair, a regional director for Ducks Unlimited in Bismarck, said about $500,000 in television advertising time had already been booked for the fall campaign.

Adair said he felt “sick to my stomach” when he learned of the alleged fraud over the weekend. Stenehjem said the sponsoring committees of the conservation and marijuana initiatives were not themselves suspected of fraud.

The attorney general said 11 people in all face misdemeanor charges in connection with the alleged fraud. The charges carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Aside from the eight NDSU football players, those accused include a former Bison footballer, a woman and a man who is not connected with NDSU’s football program.

I could of swore he said in his interview that all 8 will sit out. At the 1:45 mark in the interview it sounds like he is asked "so they won't play saturday"? Listened to it again and it sure sounds like that is what he asked.

I think you misunderstood - as of then (and right now), these kids are all going to Fort Collins and will play.

From the AP story linked at NCAA.com:

Jaeger said one person signed the name of Hillary Rodham, who is better known as Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, and listed her as living at the White House.

:huh:

One of the players must be a political science major. :D

I refuse to go on their site so I am gathering that they are trying to spin this into a UND thing? :lol:

No "they" are not, just ones who can't face reality and live in a cyber dream world. I am waiting to hear all sides as I know one of thelayers involved and he has always conducted himself in a public manner that made me proud, which is making me wonder if they are all in fact guilty or 1 or 2 have made them all guilty

But I fully understand they all did something and am not so entrenched in green and yellow I can't fathom the possibility it happened

That's my only defense and comment on here....sorry

• Upvote 3

No "they" are not, just ones who can't face reality and live in a cyber dream world. I am waiting to hear all sides as I know one of thelayers involved and he has always conducted himself in a public manner that made me proud, which is making me wonder if they are all in fact guilty or 1 or 2 have made them all guilty

But I fully understand they all did something and am not so entrenched in green and yellow I can't fathom the possibility it happened

++++++

Gene Taylor said on KVLY he doesn't think the players knew they did anything wrong, and thinks this is nothing like a DUI or a sexual assult. Guess what Gene they broke the law. They are not a 5 year old stealing candy. Can GT be more of a tool.

Have the SU players denied or confirmed the charges to coach Bohl. Does anyone know.

It matters if you like someone when you talk about how serious charges against someone. Remember Clinton if you were against him it was all about lying under oath. If you supported him you said lying about consenual sex does not rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors. SU always seems to make it interesting.

Gene Taylor said on KVLY he doesn't think the players knew they did anything wrong, and thinks this is nothing like a DUI or a sexual assult. Guess what Gene they broke the law. They are not a 5 year old stealing candy. Can GT be more of a tool.

I don't think they had any idea what would happen if they did what they did. They thought it was a way to make a quick buck and went for it. I agree with Taylor on this. As if most UND hockey players would know not to fake signatures. Besides Hak would still play them and don't for a minute think he wouldn't.
  • Upvote 2

It's true. I was at the last conspiracy meeting held in a secret tomb in the cemetary at midnight, and we decided that the best way to tweak the 'su faithful was to frame some football players for election fraud.

A couple of posters on BV are being dumb about it. The guys screwed up bad. Hopefully it turns out ok. Some suspensions may be in order. Ojuri might be on his last strike the way it is. We'll see how it plays out.

I don't think they had any idea what would happen if they did what they did. They thought it was a way to make a quick buck and went for it. I agree with Taylor on this. As if most UND hockey players would know not to fake signatures. Besides Hak would still play them and don't for a minute think he wouldn't.

I don't see a lot of UND hockey players signing up to circulate petitions and last winter would have been an opportune time to do so. You can't disregard their legal responsibility and the grave issue of the matter. These aren't six year olds making million dollar agreements, these are people the same age as I making decisions. To say "As if most hockey players would know not to fake signatures" is outrageous too. Who in their right mind who knows what a petition is would think that's OK to write fraudulent names on a legal document??? And if you are right and that is so tough to understand, then maybe they shouldn't have signed up to be legally responsible to look out for that stuff.

• Upvote 2

Nice post, I agree let this play out and make the decision based on facts in court.

• Upvote 1

I don't see a lot of UND hockey players signing up to circulate petitions and last winter would have been an opportune time to do so. You can't disregard their legal responsibility and the grave issue of the matter. These aren't six year olds making million dollar agreements, these are people the same age as I making decisions. To say "As if most hockey players would know not to fake signatures" is outrageous too. Who in their right mind who knows what a petition is would think that's OK to write fraudulent names on a legal document??? And if you are right and that is so tough to understand, then maybe they shouldn't have signed up to be legally responsible to look out for that stuff.

Maybe the UND hockey players do not need the money as bad since over the years a lot of them had mom and dad's credit cards. I could just imagine how people here would be reacting if it had been UND hockey players and not Bison football players. Would have been a little hard for them to have done this last winter since I don't think they are allowed to have jobs during the season.

Totally fine, thank you for the facts AND thank you for your other posts here that have added to the conversation. I just find it funny that somehow UND got thrown into the debate over on Bville.