SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Thank you for making my point for me. Now they are offically charged since they had not been before.

The official charges had already been drawn up and were in process when the AG made the announcement. It just took longer than normal to process because of the change in which office was handling the complaints. So your point was meaningless. The charges were in place as of Tuesday.

Actually I am a UND grad. I could care less about NDSU football. Though two friends of mine are huge fans, probably longer than most since their father was the head coach and ad at NDSU a long time ago and they are both in their 80's.

WOW COOOOLLL!!! You're friends with people whose dad was a head coach and AD??? That must be so amazing!!

• Upvote 1

Someone sent me some light reading, some homework, if you will.

Interesting document: http://fs.ncaa.org/D...e=REFERENCES_R7

Section 2.d is quite a compelling read:

That begs two questions:

- Were those lads hired because they were NDSU FB players, namely, recognizable figures due to athletic ability?

- Did they perform the work they were paid for (meaning collect signatures)?

I don't know the answers because the NCAA would be the ones who would have the answers and I can't figure those NCAA folks out.

Since we know that they HAVE been charged, I'm looking at the above rules a little closer. I'm guessing it pertains mostly to a situation where a booster of sorts "hires" an athlete in an effort to flow cash his or her way. But at the same time, I'm wondering if it would apply in this scenario.

Any speculation?

The official charges had already been drawn up and were in process when the AG made the announcement. It just took longer than normal to process because of the change in which office was handling the complaints. So your point was meaningless. The charges were in place as of Tuesday.

Drawn up is not served or filed. Since the charges had not been filed they had not been oficially charged. Spin it any way you like but I was not wrong. If I had been ScottM would have said so.

I'm still curious about the conspiracy aspect of it. I mean it is no coincidence that 12 of the 15 were from the same football team.

They got paid to perform a job. They all decided to do their job, violating state law by committing fraud.

I agree they got together. But would the current charges not cover this already? I wonder how long it will take for the company that hired them to want their money back, which they deserve. Shouldn't they also be charged with defrauding the polling outfit also? They knew they were taking money under false pretenses? More or less stealing it. Here is a question that no one has asked yet. How did they get the jobs to start with? I doubt they were looking for these jobs so who set it up for them?

I'm still curious about the conspiracy aspect of it. I mean it is no coincidence that 12 of the 15 were from the same football team.

I thought the conspiracy was that the AG and SecState were UND grads persecuting these young scholars?

Given the reports, it would be hard to believe the players didn't conspire.

Would make it more interesting if it turns out they sat around and did this in the NDSU team room.

• Upvote 1

Drawn up is not served or filed. Since the charges had not been filed they had not been oficially charged. Spin it any way you like but I was not wrong. If I had been ScottM would have said so.

I didn't say you were wrong, I said your point was meaningless. You grabbed a trivial part of the issue. The process was working. The people that were saying that they had been charged were going by media reports that were tied to the AG's statement. Maybe the better way to state it would have been that those people were being charged, or that they were in the process of being charged, instead of that they had been charged. It is all meaningless now that the process has been completed. And I don't think Scott commented either way on your point, so I'm not sure why you are trying to drag him in on your side.

They always say that if you put a monkey in front of a keyboard they will type a sentence. Well you proved that is true.

Oh, did I hit a nerve??

Here is a question that no one has asked yet. How did they get the jobs to start with? I doubt they were looking for these jobs so who set it up for them?

I would be willing to bet someone at NDSU said "Here's an easy job for you guys to make some $$ this summer." That, or one of the former players put them on to it since they were getting hired.

Oh, did I hit a nerve??

I would be willing to bet someone at NDSU said "Here's an easy job for you guys to make some $$ this summer." That, or one of the former players put them on to it since they were getting hired.

Agree completely with you here. Or one of those Herd members. May get even more interesting if it comes out as to who turned them onto the jobs to start with.

I didn't say you were wrong, I said your point was meaningless. You grabbed a trivial part of the issue. The process was working. The people that were saying that they had been charged were going by media reports that were tied to the AG's statement. Maybe the better way to state it would have been that those people were being charged, or that they were in the process of being charged, instead of that they had been charged. It is all meaningless now that the process has been completed. And I don't think Scott commented either way on your point, so I'm not sure why you are trying to drag him in on your side.

It was not trivial. All of you were saying they had been charged and I said they had not. I brought Scott into it because he would know the technical aspects. But being the nice guy Scott seems to be he probably did not want to hurt everyone's feelings by saying that I was right.

Agree completely with you here. Or one of those Herd members. May get even more interesting if it comes out as to who turned them onto the jobs to start with.

If by interesting you mean an NCAA investigation, I'll be stocking up on popcorn.

If by interesting you mean an NCAA investigation, I'll be stocking up on popcorn.

As has been mentioned here before that it is not so much the action but the cover-up that seems to annoy the NCAA. You would think they would be looking at this. If they hadn't won last year they probably would not. Since they won and are rated so high that is a new story. This is where their troubles are going to start. Sorry about the previous slam UNDBIZ.

So far,

NDSU has made more national news with this story than with FCS Championship,

Minneapolis Star-Tribune column outraged by NDSU's callousness

Minot Daily News editorial demanding action by NDSU

GF Herald and Bismarck Tribune with similar editorials

Fargo Forum suggested Jamison be reinstated for consistency

Both sides of political aisles disgusted by NDSU's lack of action and disdain for ND laws.

Doesn't Bresciani realize the entire way this issue has been handled has been a public relations disaster? And what worse time for it to happen, four months ahead of legislative session.

If NDSU suspends the players for Prairie View A&M, the outrage will be worse: giving into pressure but only allowing suspensions for an easy win. Again, NDSU football supercedes ND law.

NDSUs leadership ethics are further tarnished now, with no way out. The actions of Bohl, Taylor, and Bresciani are even more stupid than the actions of the players.

• Upvote 1

Well, while your beating you chest about supposedly being right, 9 of your current players and 12 players with ties to the Bison team have charges against them 13 if you include Jemison. Nice work.

How many does Ojuri count for? (Just one?)

So far,

NDSU has made more national news with this story than with FCS Championship,

Minneapolis Star-Tribune column outraged by NDSU's callousness

Minot Daily News editorial demanding action by NDSU

GF Herald and Bismarck Tribune with similar editorials

Fargo Forum suggested Jamison be reinstated for consistency

Both sides of political aisles disgusted by NDSU's lack of action and disdain for ND laws.

Doesn't Bresciani realize the entire way this issue has been handled has been a public relations disaster? And what worse time for it to happen, four months ahead of legislative session.

If NDSU suspends the players for Prairie View A&M, the outrage will be worse: giving into pressure but only allowing suspensions for an easy win. Again, NDSU football supercedes ND law.

NDSUs leadership ethics are further tarnished now, with no way out. The actions of Bohl, Taylor, and Bresciani are even more stupid than the actions of the players.

To Bohl's defense, I have been able to get to know him a little bit personally over the past couple years and this lack of action doesn't fit with what I know of him as a person in prior conversations and encounters.

• Upvote 1

They got paid to perform a job. They all decided to do their job, violating state law by committing fraud.

tony_soprano.jpg

Well, you got 25 jobs through Petition Takers Local 205. 10 No shows split between Paulie and Sil, and then you got 15 patsies each kicking back 10%. And 12 of those guys are going to help shave some points these weekend ... if they say anything. Well, you know how that goes ...

• Upvote 1

Actually I am a UND grad. I could care less about NDSU football. Though two friends of mine are huge fans, probably longer than most since their father was the head coach and ad at NDSU a long time ago and they are both in their 80's.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

• Upvote 1

tony_soprano.jpg

Well, you got 25 jobs through Petition Takers Local 205. 10 No shows split between Paulie and Sil, and then you got 15 patsies each kicking back 10%. And 12 of those guys are going to help shave some points these weekend ... if they say anything. Well, you know how that goes ...

What about Big Pussy, Little Pussy, and Christopher? Don't they get a wet their peeks a little too?

Rob Port and Al Carlson (and their mission to lay waste to the ND SBoHE and the concept of local control) will latch onto this issue in ... three, two, uh, too late.