SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 vote on sioux name?

I read the latest artical on a likely vote in 2014. What does that do to the transition to the new mascot? Will we likely go on in the transition, or be stick as the sioux. I love the sioux. I would have voted no if I were able to; however, I would be fine either way. I am loosing spirit with all this mess.

What will happon after they turn in the paperwork for a new vote? Would we return to the sioux, or continue on as just North Dakota?

The current constitution doesn't say UND has to be known as the Fighting Sioux so they won't revert back to it during the days leading up to the new vote. Since this is not about the state law its about the constitution, and until the constitution is changed (only by a vote of the people) the Fighting Sioux name will stay in retirement.

IMHO they're beating a dead horse, and by 2014 that horse will be a pile of festering bones. If these "supporters" thought they had any chance two years from now, why not strike when the "iron is hot" and move for a vote this fall?

Oh wait, North Dakota voters aren't bright enough to understand the issue,which explains why so many voted against retaining the name in June ... :huh::glare:

• Upvote 1

Part of me wonders if they aren't holding off on filing petitions because they didn't get the signatures (about 27000) to file for November.

I had the same thought. I would be shocked if they didn't have a pretty accurate count, yet Mr. Johnson said that he thought they were close or maybe over like he didn't really know.

In an interview Tuesday, Johnson said the delay in filing “is not a question of having the necessary signatures” by Wednesday’s filing deadline for getting on the November general election ballot.

“The petition drive is going very well,” he said. “I don’t have the exact count, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re close — or even over.

isn't there a time limit on how long thay have to get the signatures? can the petition drive go on indefinitely until they have enough?

They have until approximately December 12, 2012 (I would have to go look for the exact date). If they don't have the signatures by then they would have to start over.

IMHO they're beating a dead horse, and by 2014 that horse will be a pile of festering bones. If these "supporters" thought they had any chance two years from now, why not strike when the "iron is hot" and move for a vote this fall?

Oh wait, North Dakota voters aren't bright enough to understand the issue,which explains why so many voted against retaining the name in June ... :huh::glare:

Indeed. The horse has been beaten so badly, all that remains is a liquified slurry with four recognizable hooves. Yet another vote would be like taking those hooves and processing them into glue, then forming a detailed model of a horse from this glue, then beating the hell out of the Glue Horse yet again until it too is no longer recognizable, but still emitting glue fumes available to sniff, hallucinate about magical horses, and then imagining beating them with a fairy wand.

taz