SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Anyone have any speculation on starting QB for this season, or will it likely be the same flip flop battle we saw last season?

If Mollberg can get the decision-making side of the game down, I think he has the dual-threat abilities Rudolph seems to prefer.

I have not removed Beck from Wiki - yet! Trying to determine his true status!

One possible scenario:

In Beck's interview with the Herald, he made at least a couple of comments about not knowing, before the POW offer, for sure if he wanted to continue playing FB - that he was going to go to UND anyway. He also said something to the effect that it didn't bother him not to make the all-state team. That real or perceived lack of excitement about playing FB and excelling at it may not have set well with the new energetic coaching staff!

Anyone have any speculation on starting QB for this season, or will it likely be the same flip flop battle we saw last season?

I seriously hope Bubba can point out that the starting QB against San Jose St will be the same at the end of the season.

If Mollberg can get the decision-making side of the game down, I think he has the dual-threat abilities Rudolph seems to prefer.

Also stronger arm and quicker release. He had close to a 4.0 first semester and made the Big Sky All-Academic team. He is bigger and faster. Should be able to capture starting job this spring. Bartels is good QB and shouldnt' hurt us if he gets protection. Mollberg has potential to be great and should be a difference maker. This spring he will need to prove it and then lead this fall. Im still concerned if he starts Bartels leaves and vice- versa.

That flip flop crap wont happen - I can guarantee it. The better QB in fall camp will start the season and it will be his job to lose. There's gonna be a whole new offense with Coach Rudolph, so either one of them (Bartels or Mollberg) could come out on top. It really will be like last fall all over again - true competition where either QB could win the job!

If I had to speculate who will win it, I would go with Mollberg. Rudolphs want to run the ball via multiple formations; that means 22 and 21 personnel that features downhill power plays and shotgun/pistol formations that include read option plays. Ultimately, that best fits the athletic ability and big, strong frame of Mollberg. Of course, most predicted Mollberg would win last fall and it didn't happen, so this really could go either way still. Will be a fun competition to watch, and the multiple formation running game that Rudolph is implementing will help out the team tremendously!

Also stronger arm and quicker release. He had close to a 4.0 first semester and made the Big Sky All-Academic team. He is bigger and faster. Should be able to capture starting job this spring. Bartels is good QB and shouldnt' hurt us if he gets protection. Mollberg has potential to be great and should be a difference maker. This spring he will need to prove it and then lead this fall. Im still concerned if he starts Bartels leaves and vice- versa.

He's chubby. If he drops 15 loose pounds and replaces them with 10 pounds of muscle he'll be able to run faster.

He really needs to work on his mechanics.

I really felt at the end of the season that Bartles was moving the offense down the field much better than Mollberg. He seemed to have that extra spark that Mollberg lacked. Granted, a lot of things will change with the new staff but I'm not sold on Mollberg getting the starting nod.

On the recruiting end, I'm still not sure what to make of this class. Hopefully there are some high impact players and maybe a guy or two that can start this fall. We need to have a decent run this year or people are going to lose interest even further. It's a necessity to go at least 6-6 this year with NO BLOWOUTS and in 2015 we need to make the playoffs and possibly a win at WY. Otherwise, we are just lurking at mediocrity.

News Alert: For the 31st straight season, NDSU got everyone they wanted.

“I think we got the kids we wanted,” Klieman said.

:whistling:

IALTO :)

I do think It's high time we start worrying more about the recruiting analysis of the teams that have been kicking butt in conference and stop tweaking the nose of a 3 time defending champion though.

Bartels was way more effecient with his presnap reads than Molberg.

Yes, Molberg may have a better arm, be bigger, etc. but if Bartels can continue to develop and know where he is going with the ball, he can cover up for a lack of the other tangibles.

It is going to be an interesting competition for the starting job again, also I don't think either one of them seperated themselves enough from the pack that we could write off Palendech getting a legit shot. The kid was pretty good in high school and is 6'2" and runs about according to recruiting services ran a legit 4.5 40 yard dash as a senior and was a baseball player. I've never seen him play but he may end up being fairly mobile and have a decent arm. I would say after last year that just like every position, the QB competition is wide open. A new offense will give everyone an equal chance.

IALTO :)

I do think It's high time we start worrying more about the recruiting analysis of the teams that have been kicking butt in conference and stop tweaking the nose of a 3 time defending champion though.

Does anyone know how the big trees in the BSC made out in their recruiting classes? I saw on the BSC War Zone FB page that they (UM, MSU) were grading themselves an A. I graded us a B for the players we got in a short amount of time.

I thought Bartels looked quite a bit better than Molberg all season.

Molberg played poorly through the toughest part of the schedule. Bartels would of stunk against Portland just as bad as Molberg. the protection was so poor all season that it was hard to get a good grasp of true talent. protection will be an emphasis in the off season. Hope, but there is no guarantee that it will be that much better. it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. there was so much hype on this board last year about the "epic battle" abd great receiving corpse last year. I would love to see some one just humbly work their butt off, learn and understand the offense, and win the job.......no matter who it is!

• Upvote 1

Bartels was way more effecient with his presnap reads than Molberg.

Yes, Molberg may have a better arm, be bigger, etc. but if Bartels can continue to develop and know where he is going with the ball, he can cover up for a lack of the other tangibles.

It is going to be an interesting competition for the starting job again, also I don't think either one of them seperated themselves enough from the pack that we could write off Palendech getting a legit shot. The kid was pretty good in high school and is 6'2" and runs about according to recruiting services ran a legit 4.5 40 yard dash as a senior and was a baseball player. I've never seen him play but he may end up being fairly mobile and have a decent arm. I would say after last year that just like every position, the QB competition is wide open. A new offense will give everyone an equal chance.

I agree. Whenever there's talk about the competition at QB, it always centers around Bartels and Molberg and probably rightfully so. However, I agree that Palendech could be the darkhorse in this whole thing and win the job from out of nowhere. It will be interesting to see what he can do. As you point out, he has a lot of the tools with respect to size and speed; don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about his throwing ability, though. The more competition the better, as it makes everyone better. I think the QB position will be a lot better this season.

News Alert: For the 31st straight season, NDSU got everyone they wanted.

“I think we got the kids we wanted,” Klieman said.

:whistling:

And for every kid that that chose to play somewhere else, the talking point response is "We only want kids that want to be here. We aren't gonna beg a kid to come to NDSU" I don't think the Kleiman and his coaches even need to go out on the recruiting trail. They just wait for the faxes to come in on signing day!! :)

Dakota Starks is still available. He has visited LSU, Southern University and is planning a trip to Indiana. He still lists UND as a place of interest though.

Dakota Starks 2⃣4⃣@Koda_boy 27 mins

Oregon state..illinois state...Southern university. University of indiana. Westpoint... Boise state toledo university. UCLA. North Dakota

And for every kid that that chose to play somewhere else, the talking point response is "We only want kids that want to be here. We aren't gonna beg a kid to come to NDSU" I don't think the Kleiman and his coaches even need to go out on the recruiting trail. They just wait for the faxes to come in on signing day!! :)

Hmmm . . . his is saying that it has to be the right fit for both the school and the player. Ya, what a crazy and statement!