SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

No way it even gets on the November ballot as a Constitutional amendment. Even if the measure would have been defeated by a small margin like 55-45, people are more hesitant to make a change to the constitution. But since it went down 67-33, what do supporters of putting it on the ballot for constitutional amendment think is going to happen? Are 18% or approximitely 30,000 people are just going to change their minds? Plus there are more people voting in the November elections. Is the percentage going to be drastically different? I think that the Constitutional amendment is dead if you ask me. If somehow it gets on the ballot, it will be defeated by at least the same margin.

I agree with your thinking, but you just can't assume anything in our world.

It's a mistake to say this as well: "Custer was not a general."

What's next? Are you going to tell my that Gen. George C. Patton (Archie Bunker reference) didn't exist and that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor? :)

In the way he was being refered to in the post yes it was a mistake.

In the way he was being refered to in the post yes it was a mistake.

You should have said Custer was not a general at the time of Little Big Horn. Saying he was not a general is incorrect. See? I can be anal too. :lol:

You should have said Custer was not a general at the time of Little Big Horn. Saying he was not a general is incorrect. See? I can be anal too. :lol:

The way the analogy was used was to describe the Battle of the Little Bighorn and he was called General Custer and I said he was not a general. But if you want to act like a little middle school girl feel free to.

The way the analogy was used was to describe the Battle of the Little Bighorn and he was called General Custer and I said he was not a general. But if you want to act like a little middle school girl feel free to.

Isn't that being sexist toward women/girls? I know you like to be polically correct in all.

Are you the pot, or the kettle?

You didn't believe it the first 100 times it was explained by Archie Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, Frank Black Cloud, etc...

Why should I waste my time explaining it to you again? It's over now, your side won. Congratulations, you succeeded in destroying a great tradition.

Dave, the tradition was destroyed the day the settlement was signed. Those who have accepted it, have done so on their own timetable. Very few of us are thrilled that it happened. I was glad when the "yes" vote won, but still mourned the loss of the name. I have been a Sioux fan since I can remember and even before that. I sat in the middle of the horseshoe of the old Field House and watched Phil Jackson play BB. I went to the old barn to watch hockey. I will miss the name, but the athletes will still be playing for the University of North Dakota, my favorite school.

• Upvote 1

You didn't believe it the first 100 times it was explained by Archie Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, Frank Black Cloud, etc...

Why should I waste my time explaining it to you again? It's over now, your side won. Congratulations, you succeeded in destroying a great tradition.

And what do Archie Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, Frank Black Cloud, etc. know about college athletics and how they operate? Absolutely nothing. They've proven it over and over again. Even you know more about college athletics than all of them put together, and that isn't saying much. So none of their explanations mean anything.

Are you the pot, or the kettle?

Neither. I was making an accurate observation of behavoir of a middle school age girl. As for pot calling kettle would be more accurate in your slamming of DaveK, Fetch, and Chewey. But then all of you here have always attacked anyone who does not agree with them.

Neither. I was making an accurate observation of behavoir of a middle school age girl. As for pot calling kettle would be more accurate in your slamming of DaveK, Fetch, and Chewey. But then all of you here have always attacked anyone who does not agree with them.

And the people named above have not done the same??

You must have a pretty good view from your high horse.

I am, however, concerned about your observations of middle school age girls ...

You must have a pretty good view from your high horse.

I am, however, concerned about your observations of middle school age girls ...

They act like college age girls which is to say very whiny like the posters here. Furthermore, I remember how they acted when I was young and watched grad students act the same way.

Is it an "insult" to LeBron James to say he knows nothing about nuclear reactor design?

When it comes to tribal affairs I'll ask Archie Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, and Frank Black Cloud.

When it comes to running a college athletics program I'll ask Brian Faison and Ray Purpur.

• Upvote 1

Wow, you just insulted some very honorable people. With that you have now shown your true colors for all to see, as if there was still any doubt after your months of over the top offensive anti-nickname rants.

If you told me that I know nothing about say...electrical engineering, I would not be insulted. That is a fact. I am not insulted by it. The people 82SiouxGuy listed have shown time and time again that they do not understand how college athletics work...or common law for that matter. By making statements like "The NCAA is going to change their mind and let UND keep the nickname" is proof of that.

you say that he insulted some honarable people. Well you have continually verbally insulted Kelley, Faison, O'Keefe, and others repeatedly on this site. I guess that doesn't count though right??!!

Is it an "insult" to LeBron James to say he knows nothing about nuclear reactor design?

When it comes to tribal affairs I'll ask Archie Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, and Frank Black Cloud.

When it comes to running a college athletics program I'll ask Brian Faison and Ray Purpur.

And when it comes to worshipping team logos, you can ask Dave.

If you told me that I know nothing about say...electrical engineering, I would not be insulted. That is a fact. I am not insulted by it. The people 82SiouxGuy listed have shown time and time again that they do not understand how college athletics work...or common law for that matter. By making statements like "The NCAA is going to change their mind and let UND keep the nickname" is proof of that.

you say that he insulted some honarable people. Well you have continually verbally insulted Kelley, Faison, O'Keefe, and others repeatedly on this site. I guess that doesn't count though right??!!

Like 99.99% of all posters here did the same thing insulting them and anyone that did not drink from the same kool-aid bowl for gripes sake.

Wow, you just insulted some very honorable people. With that you have now shown your true colors for all to see, as if there was still any doubt after your months of over the top offensive anti-nickname rants.

Get over yourself. As others have stated, saying that those people know nothing about college athletics is not an insult. Saying that you know more than they do about college athletics isn't an insult (maybe?). I'm pretty sure I have heard quotes from Eunice Davidson saying she doesn't know a lot about college sports. They're people, and they have never had anything to do with college sports, so it isn't a shock that they wouldn't know everything about college sports. But believing that they know more about college sports than people that work in college sports is an insult to the people that work in college sports.

They know more than Kelley/Faison/O'Keefe/etc... do about the integrity of the gift of the nickname given by the Sioux people to the University of North Dakota in 1969. It was a sacred ceremony and it was 100% wrong to take the name away, regardless of circumstances.

Dave, we ALL agree with you. It was wrong to take away the name. This issue should have never been brought up by the NCAA. We all wanted to keep the name. We all hold the pipe ceremony as being a sacred ceremony granting UND the use of the name. It should have been sufficient for the NCAA. Unfortunately the NCAA disagrees with that. They are the people that you need to be mad at. Not UND officials. Remember it was UND officials as well as state legislators who went to meet with the NCAA last August. They told them that the ceremony and the law ment nothing to them. Kelly/Faison/O'Keefe realized that there was no way to convince the NCAA to change their minds. Especially with the signed settlement agreement.

They know more than Kelley/Faison/O'Keefe/etc... do about the integrity of the gift of the nickname given by the Sioux people to the University of North Dakota in 1969. It was a sacred ceremony and it was 100% wrong to take the name away, regardless of circumstances.

Is it wise to keep a gift if that gift is going to cause difficulty or damage to some part of the University? Kelley, Faison, O'Keefe and others are tasked with protecting the interests of the University. That is what they get paid to do. That is what they can get fired for not protecting. They did their job. It was time to retire the nickname to protect the University from the NCAA sanctions. Giving up the gift was the price required to protect the long term interests of the school.
  • Upvote 1

I am still having trouble understanding how a "Sacred Ceremony" that took place on Standing Rock, is not recognized as a sacred ceremony by Standing Rock. I think we lost a lot of credibility on that issue by the Elders at Standing Rock.

I am still having trouble understanding how a "Sacred Ceremony" that took place on Standing Rock, is not recognized as a sacred ceremony by Standing Rock. I think we lost a lot of credibility on that issue by the Elders at Standing Rock.

I thought it happened on campus.

I thought it happened on campus.

Whatever the ceremony was, it happened on the UND campus. The vast majority of the delegation was from Standing Rock. It sounds like there were at least a couple of people from Spirit Lake in attendance. Whether it was actually a religious pipe ceremony is in question. The fact that tribal leadership at Standing Rock has not followed the wishes expressed at the ceremony, and in fact has been actively against the use of the nickname for 20 years, would lend credibility to the fact that it might not have actually been a religious pipe ceremony.