SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Hak Signs Extension

coachdags

More contract details via GF Herald article

Hakstol’s contract calls for a base salary of $300,000 with possible bonuses for the team’s performance on the ice and in the classroom. The bonuses, capped at 45 percent or $135,000, and deferred income could potentially bump his annual compensation over $400,000.

The assistant coaches — Cary Eades and Dane Jackson — also were addressed in the new contract. A pool of $262,874 will be divided in some way — not necessarily equally — between them for the 2012-13 season. They have bonus potential as well.

Contracts for the assistant coaches will be renewed annually and the pool to pay them will increase 3 percent for each of the remaining seasons.

Dave Starman (college hockey analyst for CBS) shared his thoughts about Coach Hakstol

“To me, the biggest affirmation of his success is his ability to build a team and to let a team build itself. That’s a trademark of great pro hockey teams. A lot of teams get better because they’re allowed to develop and allowed to make mistakes (early in the season). I look at North Dakota’s teams and they always get better. I think he lets them find their way a little bit.”

“I think you see guys come out of there who understand what pro hockey is, and they understand it because he puts them through a pro-like atmosphere in what he expects from them. When I talk to guys who have been through the North Dakota program, they say that Dave has gotten them not only ready for pro hockey but for life."

So how much do you think "the timeout" netted him in his new contract. Although the timeout demonstrated how the players respond when the coach isn't in panic mode, it is what Sioux fans have come to expect and something I am sure that has not gone unnoticed by Faison. The "we can do this" type attitude kind of encapsulates the whole season with all the injuries and such.

So how much do you think "the timeout" netted him in his new contract. Although the timeout demonstrated how the players respond when the coach isn't in panic mode, it is what Sioux fans have come to expect and something I am sure that has not gone unnoticed by Faison. The "we can do this" type attitude kind of encapsulates the whole season with all the injuries and such.

I would say zero. If Faison didn't know what kind of coach he had before "the timeout" he should be the first to go.

I would say zero. If Faison didn't know what kind of coach he had before "the timeout" he should be the first to go.

I agree! This contract was probably in the works for awhile and Faison wanted to wait until things started to settle down. I'm not a huge fan of Faison but even he isn't dumb enough to let Hak go!

I would have made it more bonus oriented. LIke money to win ncaa titles

Someone posted earlier that it is.

Quote:

Hakstol’s contract calls for a base salary of $300,000 with possible bonuses for the team’s performance on the ice and in the classroom. The bonuses, capped at 45 percent or $135,000, and deferred income could potentially bump his annual compensation over $400,000.

The assistant coaches — Cary Eades and Dane Jackson — also were addressed in the new contract. A pool of $262,874 will be divided in some way — not necessarily equally — between them for the 2012-13 season. They have bonus potential as well.

Contracts for the assistant coaches will be renewed annually and the pool to pay them will increase 3 percent for each of the remaining seasons.

Almost half as much as your salary is pretty decent for incentives.

Most coaches have some of performance incentive in their contracts, I like the idea of adding classroom performance also...help get these kids ready for life after hockey.

I love the class room performance. BUt im sure Hak and Co encourage the boys to major in recreasim and tourism studies lol!

Its not like UND is the only school that gets their athletes into easy classes. When I was at UND it made perfect sense that Zach Parise, Brady Murray, and a couple of others were in the mind boggling intro to music class, or Travis Zajac and Matt Smaby among a handful of others had made their way into a Dr. Munski class.

Yeah, you'll have your guys like Eidsness and Bruneteau who are going to overly excel in the classroom, but I'd say 70% of the time they are trying to get the players into layup classes that will keep them academically eligible.