SiouxSports.com Forum

June referral vote

TBR

we know that but they can't break the agreement either - unless they want the State of ND suing their ass (after we vote yes) :D

It's just too bad that you can't understand what is actually said in the agreement, and what that will actually mean for the program. That includes the fact that North Dakota can't sue again unless the one of the sides completely violates the terms, and you can be sure that the NCAA won't go that far since they will be able to do enough damage with the current terms.

Seems that the ND Sec of State is aware of the obvious:

1. He can't declare things to be or not be constitutional.

2. His job is to validate signatures on petitions and if enough valid signatures exist put things on the ballot.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/231414/

The ND SBoHE didn't ask SecState Jaeger to not put the action on the ballot.

They asked to Court to stop the action if they find the law it would reinstate is unconstitutional.

I've told you this before, but you probably weren't paying attention so let me say it again...

NOBODY CARES IF YOU GRADUATED FROM THE SCHOOL OR NOT!!!

Call up Notre Dame and tell them you never attended school there, but you'd like to dictate to them how to run their athletic department. Please report back how that goes.
  • Upvote 3

I bit my tounge when this first came out because the anti-nickname zealots here are never going to believe me, but now I must reveal some information. Our hockey coach was FORCED to say what he said. It was a matter of make the statement that he made or lose his job. I have contacts with inside information. Someday down the road if and when he leaves for another job I expect that he will reveal what all went down behind closed doors. The statements that he and Mussman made were mandated. That is a fact.

Your source is a liar. I spoke with every football coach regarding the nickname this past summer. They were in universal agreement that it had to be changed to prevent serious consequences with conference affiliation.

I bit my tounge when this first came out because the anti-nickname zealots here are never going to believe me, but now I must reveal some information. Our hockey coach was FORCED to say what he said. It was a matter of make the statement that he made or lose his job. I have contacts with inside information. Someday down the road if and when he leaves for another job I expect that he will reveal what all went down behind closed doors. The statements that he and Mussman made were mandated. That is a fact.

That's interesting, Dave. One of my sources told me a coach for another sport on campus predicts that if UND gets thrown out of the Big Sky, the football program will be eliminated in about 3 years. That should please you because it means UND is still the Fighting Sioux.

Yeah, I bet you do.................... :silly:

And by the way, I'm not "anti-nickname", I'm "Pro-UND".

He was forced to say it and still came up with very reasonable and logical reasons of why it made sense to move on? Pretty convenient for him.

I realize you are fighting with DaveK about this, but that is a very subjective comment. There are a great deal of people that didn't graduate from UND that love the school and support it. Many attended UND and didn't graduate for any number of reasons. You don't know their situation(s), so why judge them?

I learned something awhile back...if all you did was attend UND no matter how short that time was, you can call yourself an Alumi.

Fetch, in the settlement agreement, the NCAA says UND is not "hostile and abusive". That's something Kupchella demanded.

However, the NCAA still doesn't want certain imagery at their (NCAA) tournaments.

Oddly enough, The NCAA just sent UND a letter stating they no longer can wear that (and I quote) "hostile and abusive" piece of clothing to their events.

Did the NCAA break the agreement too? Does that mean UND can sue for slander now?

I learned something awhile back...if all you did was attend UND no matter how short that time was, you can call yourself an Alumi.

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ALUMNUS

1: a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

Alumnus is used for a single male. Single female is alumna. Multiple males or mixed group is alumni. Multiple females are alumnae. Alum can be used as a shortened version that helps ease the confusion of figuring out the proper version of the singular and alums for a group. Isn't English a wonderful language?

They are only doing it to save their Jobs - they have no plans to break the agreement - so we will be OK unless the ncaa breaks their part of it & if they do - it will be the State of ND taking them on after the referral vote not the Lame SBOHE or UND Admin.

Wow, that line sounds like it's straight from SAB... Unbelievable, come on Fetch you're better than this. They're saying this because they want to continue playing Minnesota and Wisconsin after the WCHA breaks up and now they can't because UND is under NCAA Sanctions.

• Upvote 1

So you know someone inside the UND athletic department that said off record that Hakstol had to say these things or lose his job. That is one of the biggest steamy loads of crap that I have read in a very long time.

From Merriam-Webster:

Alumnus is used for a single male. Single female is alumna. Multiple males or mixed group is alumni. Multiple females are alumnae. Alum can be used as a shortened version that helps ease the confusion of figuring out the proper version of the singular and alums for a group. Isn't English a wonderful language?

Thanks, I assume most people have google too. Was your point to reinforce what I wrote?

Yes, it was. And to show what a strange word that alumnus/alumni is. Almost everyone (including me) has trouble using the proper term and tense.

Yes this site has also taught me the proper use of Alumni. I use "alumni" cause that's what the lay person uses...probably based on stuff like this:

LT320-Z557ALUM.jpg

Yes this site has also taught me the proper use of Alumni. I use "alumni" cause that's what the lay person uses...probably based on stuff like this:

LT320-Z557ALUM.jpg

Like I said, strange word that almost no one gets right. Although, if a bunch of people were wearing that shirt together they may have it right. ;-)
  • Upvote 1

People that have graduated from the school have a much different connection to the school than those that haven't. You just can't grasp that.

To suggest that your position is in line with the preponderance of UND alumni is an embarassment to the "fact" that UND is where you received your education.

To suggest that your position is in line with the preponderance of UND alumni is an embarassment to the "fact" that UND is where you received your education.

Since my position is in line with the head of the UND Alumni Association, many past presidents of the Alumni Association, the vast majority of UND alumni that I have spoken with, a growing number of former UND athletes that have made public statements, several current and former UND coaches and many others, I'm not too concerned about your opinion. Especially since you have expressed a willingness to destroy the UND athletic department rather than change the nickname.
  • Upvote 3

(SIGH)...

I would rather have a UND Fighting Sioux football team under sanctions than no UND Fighting Sioux football team at all. It's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

You really cannnot believe that being under NCAA sanctions is a lesser evil than not calling the University of North Dakota athletic teams the Fighting Sioux?!?!

Seriously!?

Since my position is in line with the head of the UND Alumni Association, many past presidents of the Alumni Association, the vast majority of UND alumni that I have spoken with, a growing number of former UND athletes that have made public statements, several current and former UND coaches and many others, I'm not too concerned about your opinion. Especially since you have expressed a willingness to destroy the UND athletic department rather than change the nickname.

Well, obviously, they don't understand the "fundamental issues" either. But when SL wins its lawsuit, the petitions will scare the crap out of the NC$$ and everything will be sunshine and lollipops .... :silly::lol:

• Upvote 1

You really cannnot believe that being under NCAA sanctions is a lesser evil than not calling the University of North Dakota athletic teams the Fighting Sioux?!?! Seriously!?

There are many like him that think that way. They don't give a crap about the University only the name on the front of the jersey. Dave has already said that he didn't go to school here and only care about UND football and UND hockey.

There are many like him that think that way. They don't give a crap about the University only the name on the front of the jersey. Dave has already said that he didn't go to school here and only care about UND football and UND hockey.

You forgot the part where he would rather have the teams (and athletic department) disappear than change the nickname.

(SIGH) I would rather have a UND Fighting Sioux football team under sanctions than no UND Fighting Sioux football team at all.

The NCAA doesn’t care if there is a petition or a state wide vote, nickname law or that the Native Americans are for the nickname. They aren’t going to budge, they don’t have to, to take a phrase from Charlie Sheen, the NCAA is currently #winning.

They don’t care what some blogger says on the nickname. Either does the Big Sky Conference… It doesn’t matter that some fake, imaginary or real person said that Hakstol was threatened with losing his job at UND if he didn’t say that the name is bad for the University of North Dakota.

Seriously Dave! Really!!! You can’t be that delusional? This is ridiculous logic. All you have to do is talk to the folks at UND they aren’t taking this lightly; they are more worried about their sports programs than they are about a nickname. They will tell you that the sanctions and the threat of losing the BSC membership is very real. It’s not some contrived scheme to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Did you hear what the UND Woman’s coach Brian Idalski had to say this past week? Who gives a rip right, it’s only the woman’s team. Seriously, why would Faison lie? Do you think he wants to give up one of the greatest logo in the history of college athletics? No but he has to because it’s going to kill this university. But who gives a rip eh? This is the same college that you haven’t spent one day in the classroom in.

The name is going to change, it's just a matter of time, and the only question remaining is when. I don’t care what site you read or what blog you happened to peruse. There is a very slight chance that the NCAA will lose their court case against the Spirit Lake Tribe but a lot of legal minds way smarter than us combined have said the chance of this big win in court are “slim and none.”

If you want to drink from the river of denial by all means, ignorance is bliss. A lot of us that are rabid Sioux supporters saw the writing on the wall. We are ready to move on because care more about a great university than a sports team name.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 2

Load of crap Dave. Lets make an appointment with Mussman and if he states you are correct, then I will donate $1,000 to the program on the spot. If he doesn't then you agree to leave Siouxsports.com and work to retire the name. As a former UND athlete and coach we do not want people associated with the program that would mistate the facts like you did. If you are so sure of your "inside sources" then PC me and I will make the arrangements. otherwise quit the crap. Being dishonest only hurts your cause. If you would rather, we can make the same appointment with Hakstol after the season. He has more important priorities right now than to meet with a couple of rubes like us til after the season.

• Upvote 4