SiouxSports.com Forum

June referral vote

TBR

I too would like to see athletics at UND in five years, but at what cost? Are you willing to sell your soul? I'm not.

You don't care about seeing UND athletics in 5 years, you just want to see the Fighting Sioux nickname in 5 years. If the name is kept, the athletic department won't look anything like it does now in 5 years.

You are wrong. An abstract moniker lends nothing to the success of any of the programs. That comes from the players, coaches, and institutional support.

Had the University never changed its name in 1930, the North Dakota Flickertails would still today have 7 Ice Hockey championships, 3 women's basketball championships, a football championship, and a $110 Million dollar hockey rink....................

Could not of said it better.

Uhhhhhh, for the reading impaired I will repeat myself...

I would like to see athletics at UND in five years, BUT AT WHAT COST?

It's not costing you a thing. It'll cost the school, its student-athletes and its stakeholders a bundle.

• Upvote 1

But losing our identity is? Okay, got it. :silly:

You anti-nickname people just don't have a clue.

The identity will be modified, not lost. It is still the University of North Dakota. Maybe you've heard of it? They have won 7 national hockey titles and some other national Division II titles. A pretty good athletic tradition that goes back more than a century. Being able to compete for more national titles is the important part, not the emblem on the front of the jersey. Too bad you nickname-at-all-costers can't see past the bright colors on the logo. I guess you just get distracted too easily by those bright colors.

Which identity?

At one time the MBB jerseys said "NODAKS."

At one time the identity was "Flickertails."

Which identity?

Exactly. We actually won hockey titles with different types of logos on the jerseys. Only 3 of them (80,82,87) was with the Blackhawk logo. 1997 was the geometric logo 59 and 63 was just the word Sioux on it. UND football doesn't have logos except the interlocking ND...so current logo has zero National Titles. I think UND can survive if the logo and name is changed.

Your lifetime? You?

Sorry Dave, this isn't all about you.

I think you've finally discovered Dave's true motivations for wanting the Sioux moniker to remain at UND: It's all about him. He could care less about doing what's "right" or standing up for NAs, or standing up to an arrogant and hypocritical NC$$. It's not relevant that UND and its student-athletes are bearing the brunt of this fight. As long as Dave's "happy", to hell with everybody else.

But losing our identity is? Okay, got it. :silly:

You anti-nickname people just don't have a clue.

I am getting a little sick and tired of having my loyalty questioned. Let me clarify this for you: This isn't a choice between good and bad, it's a choice between crappy and less crappy. Giving up the name and logo is crappy, but it's less crappy than crippling the athletic department.

I have been a fan since I was 6 years old and I love the name and logo. I have a Fighting Sioux shower curtain in the bathroom right now. I own a bunch of jerseys. And I will continue to wear them whether the anti-nickname people like it or not. But if we don't move on as a state and as an institution, UND athletics as we know them will cease to exist. We should hope and pray that the Spirit Lake lawsuit in Federal Court is successful and we should support that effort 100%. But all these petitions and statewide votes will do no good and possibly will do a great deal of harm. But I guess if you don't get that now, you never will.

• Upvote 4

I think you've finally discovered Dave's true motivations for wanting the Sioux moniker to remain at UND: It's all about him. He could care less about doing what's "right" or standing up for NAs, or standing up to an arrogant and hypocritical NC$$. It's not relevant that UND and its student-athletes are bearing the brunt of this fight. As long as Dave's "happy", to hell with everybody else.

This is a common thread I see with a lot of nickname-at-all-costers. "They" love the nickname. "They" think it's great. "They" think they are honoring NAs, so it has to be all right. "They" don't want to lose the name. So "they" are going to fight to keep the nickname, no matter what else happens. Because that is what "they" want.
  • Upvote 1

While the logos may have changed, the nickname has remained the same for my entire lifetime. To change the nickname would be to change the very identity of the program, but I suppose you anti-nickname people think that is a "small price to pay". I find that attitude sickening beyond belief. Sorry, my opinion. I'm entitled to it, and too bad if you don't like it.

The identity of the program is the University of North Dakota. The nickname is secondary, that's why they call it a "NICKNAME".
  • Upvote 4

This is a common thread I see with a lot of nickname-at-all-costers. "They" love the nickname. "They" think it's great. "They" think they are honoring NAs, so it has to be all right. "They" don't want to lose the name. So "they" are going to fight to keep the nickname, no matter what else happens. Because that is what "they" want.

This is different in what way that many posters here talked for years? Honoring NAs was the arguement that was used by all the supporters. The only difference bewteen DaveK, Fletch, and the rest are that they have stood by their beliefs where the rest faltered. I think there are a lot of DaveKs and Fetches out there. It is amazing how people that supported each other for years now attack each other, reminds me of the state of the GOP today.

This is different in what way that many posters here talked for years? Honoring NAs was the arguement that was used by all the supporters. The only difference bewteen DaveK, Fletch, and the rest are that they have stood by their beliefs where the rest faltered. I think there are a lot of DaveKs and Fetches out there. It is amazing how people that supported each other for years now attack each other, reminds me of the state of the GOP today.

The main difference is that there is now a real threat to the University that goes along with the arguement. In the past the threat was vague if it existed at all. Now the sanctions are in place and these people are still more concerned with what they want or how they feel about the nickname and logo than about the threat to the program that they say they support. That is what shifted the line for many people.

The main difference is that there is now a real threat to the University that goes along with the arguement. In the past the threat was vague if it existed at all. Now the sanctions are in place and these people are still more concerned with what they want or how they feel about the nickname and logo than about the threat to the program that they say they support. That is what shifted the line for many people.

I know there is "NOW" a real threat but when the NCAA started this anyone with common sense knew that there were going to be problems down the road. People just decided that through their own delusions that they were going to get the NCAA to back down. For years Minnesota and Wisconsin said they would not schedule us with the name. More people than not thumbed their noses at them and now have a different veiw. For years the anti-logo crowd said what the problem was and what would happen and the supporters slammed them right and left. Now the origional supporters are parroting them. We will soon see how many Fletch and DaveKs are out there.

hundreds (maybe) will travel to the neutral site of ncaa's crappy tournments

thousands will go where ever the Sioux Hockey Team plays & they will never vote to give up the name

Thousands in State & in Town Love the Fighting Sioux Hockey Team vs what a few hundred Alumni in State

Around a agriculture State most that stayed in ND are from NDSU they love the drama (even tho I believe the want the name to stay for the right reasons)

"Minnesota and Wisconsin said they would not schedule us with the name"

Racist & Discrimination & the fact we regularly beat them - I say it's their loss & we will play them if they get to tourney time - where the stupid ncaa does not play at anyones home site in Hockey anyway

The threat is not to the university as much as it is to the sport teams. Question then is if there was no football team, basketball (men/women), softball, swimming, golf, (is there still tennis?), baseball, soccer, track, etc. would it really matter? How long would it take before everyone forgets all about them? A university is not a sports team.

The threat is not to the university as much as it is to the sport teams. Question then is if there was no football team, basketball (men/women), softball, swimming, golf, (is there still tennis?), baseball, soccer, track, etc. would it really matter? How long would it take before everyone forgets all about them? A university is not a sports team.

There wouldn't be a sports nickname if there wasn't any sports teams. And there isn't a NCAA without sports, that's their job. Athletics are used as a marketing tool for a university. So hurting the athletic program will hurt the university as a whole. Losing the entire athletic department would hurt enrollment, especially students in areas like the Twin Cities. Those students have choices and one of the things that draws their attention is the athletic department.
  • Upvote 1