SiouxSports.com Forum

June referral vote

TBR

hundreds (maybe) will travel to the neutral site of ncaa's crappy tournments

thousands will go where ever the Sioux Hockey Team plays & they will never vote to give up the name

Thousands in State & in Town Love the Fighting Sioux Hockey Team vs what a few hundred Alumni in State

Around a agriculture State most that stayed in ND are from NDSU they love the drama (even tho I believe the want the name to stay for the right reasons)

Here is the problem, I have seen this quote a few times but the NCAA isn't going to recognize it. The NCAA doesn't care because they have a signed settlement agreement signed by the AG of the State of ND. While it's sad that the Standing Rock Tribe didn't let their members have a vote and they can vote 6 times on the matter, the NCAA "won't" recognize the vote, the NCAA won't change their mind and the state of ND can vote on anything that they want but it's not going to sway the NCAA. I would bet anyone my next's month's pay check on it, if my wife hadn't spent it already. :0

“This restores our faith in the state government again,” said Eunice Davidson, a leader of the pro-nickname group at Spirit Lake.

She said the nickname law “was passed out of respect for the people’s voices and wishes,” should not have been repealed and should be reaffirmed in June.

The vote “will allow the people of Standing Rock to finally have their voices heard,” Davidson said. She said she believes voters at that reservation “will vote like Spirit Lake did” in 2009, when the tribe endorsed UND’s use of the name.

Edited by Goon

If the ncaa loses to SL a new agreement will come - I'm not 100% sure what they will want but it seems removing the negativity from the name is one of their goals

Vote No & let it play out

A Yes vote says everyone has gave up & UND will quickly remove all things Fighting Sioux (like they already tried to do)

You never give up until it's over - SL has a chance - the nay sayers have been wrong so many times how can anyone trust them anymore

Here is the problem, I have seen this quote a few times but the NCAA isn't going to recognize it. The NCAA doesn't care because they have a signed settlement agreement signed by the AG of the State of ND. While it's sad that the Standing Rock Tribe didn't let their members have a vote and they can vote 6 times on the matter, the NCAA "won't" recognize the vote, the NCAA won't change their mind and the state of ND can vote on anything that they want but it's not going to sway the NCAA. I would bet anyone my next's month's pay check on it, if my wife hadn't spent it already. :0

One minor correction for you Goon. The settlement was signed by John Q. Paulsen for the SBoHE and by the AG for the State of North Dakota.

If the ncaa loses to SL a new agreement will come - I'm not 100% sure what they will want but it seems removing the negativity from the name is one of their goals

Vote No & let it play out

A Yes vote says everyone has gave up & UND will quickly remove all things Fighting Sioux (like they already tried to do)

You never give up until it's over - SL has a chance - the nay sayers have been wrong so many times how can anyone trust them anymore

Honestly, SL's "chance" may be gone before the end of the month. I'm pretty sure Chewey said the Federal court would be taking some sort of preliminary action yet this month. (I think it would be with regard to the NCAA's motion to have the whole case dismissed.)

Come the June vote SL's shot might be over for a month plus.

The SBOHE WAS Wrong & the AG was wrong on SR - I don't believe a united effort was made to persuade SR - sure due to their stubborn ignoring it - but they can't ignore a Sioux County vote (well they can) but if UND & the SBOHE & all North Dakotans put positive pressure on them & show them a way to make $$$ from this I think they will finally have their own vote --- If SL wins a new settlement has to come - if not the ncaa is even worse than what I think of them now & ND should tell them to go to He11

Maybe but if the lawsuit goes forward & SL wins - I don't trust UND Admin. or SBOHE to make the effort to bring the name back

I know most are tired of all this - so am I - but to quit now seems really ignorant - It also baffles me that more are not supporting SL's efforts - It is SAD that a last ditch effort & UND Admin & Alumni & Residents of ND is not supported by all --- VOTE NO until it's over

then the anti nickname folks can have their own referral vote - with no one to argue against them 

The SBOHE WAS Wrong & the AG was wrong on SR - I don't believe a united effort was made to persuade SR - sure due to their stubborn ignoring it - but they can't ignore a Sioux County vote (well they can) but if UND & the SBOHE & all North Dakotans put positive pressure on them & show them a way to make $$$ from this I think they will finally have their own vote --- If SL wins a new settlement has to come - if not the ncaa is even worse than what I think of them now & ND should tell them to go to He11

You don't have any idea about what was done to work with Standing Rock, and you don't have any idea what could be done to try and work with them. You just don't like it because they didn't get the result that most of us would nave liked. The Tribal Council DOES NOT want to even talk about the issue. You can't force them to talk about it and you can't force them to change their position. No amount of pressure by people in North Dakota is going to make the NCAA change a policy that applies to hundreds and hundreds of other schools. You can't make a policy for just one school.

As has been said before, UND has an option to leave the NCAA. Is that what you want if that means the nickname can stay?

I would guess for once your right - But if not momentum shifts back to save the name

The lawsuit not getting dismissed doesn't give it momentum, it just means that the court will let them move ahead. It doesn't give either side any advantage.

And I didn't say that leaving the NCAA was the only option. It is one option that would let UND keep using the nickname without any sanctions. Isn't that what you're looking for? You hate the NCAA and don't think their tournaments are important, so why not just leave the NCAA?

I think the NCAA probably made it pretty clear in their 15 minute meeting with Al Carlson and the boys that they weren't budging on their stance. The timeframe of the agreement had passed. Even if Al won't talk about the meeting now, everyone was in agreement when they came back on where the NCAA stood.

because they have a monopoly - I sure would support a National movement to knock them down a few pegs - maybe the SL lawsuit & National attention will aid in this - but I doubt it - if they are just run by Academic College Presidents that know it all & HAVE TOO MUCH $$$

I wish a Teddy Roosevelt type were out there to lead the charge - they are not Fair or Consistent

because they have a monopoly - I sure would support a National movement to knock them down a few pegs - maybe the SL lawsuit & National attention will aid in this - but I doubt it - if they are just run by Academic College Presidents that know it all & HAVE TOO MUCH $$$

I wish a Teddy Roosevelt type were out there to lead the charge - they are not Fair or Consistent

The world isn't Fair or Consistent. You should have learned that a long time ago.

One minor correction for you Goon. The settlement was signed by John Q. Paulsen for the SBoHE and by the AG for the State of North Dakota.

Thanks for the correction but, yeah there is a signed settlement...

Well then, how about EVERY team drops their nickname effective immediately? If they're so unimportant then nobody should have one.

Nicknames add color, they're great for marketing. But the true identity of the teams is the identity of the school they represent. UND has changed nicknames and logos over the years, they have always been the University of North Dakota.

The petitions and statewide votes are needed to prevent UND from doing what we suspect they want to do, which is hurry up and change the name before Spirit Lake beats the living snot out of the NCAA in court. I can just see it now, "Oh, you guys won? Congratulations, that's nice... but we already went ahead and changed the name. Too late now, sorry". We can't afford to let that happen.

Considering the extensive lack of legal knowledge that you continually exhibit you will have to forgive us if we don't hold our breath waiting for Spirit Lake to "beat the living snot out of the NCAA in court".

Yeah, and you're just oozing with legal knowledge, aren't you? :lol:

I admit I'm not an attorney. But at least I've read the settlement and know what it says. I've read the Spirit Lake lawsuit and can see the weaknesses. Have you read either? Do you know how the court case is going to proceed?

Obviously, based on my personal interest in the situation, I have read both. I don't know any more or less than you how the case is going to proceed, but you better believe I have supreme confidence in Spirit Lake. Why? Because the NCAA is out of line and I have faith in our justice system.

You can trust your faith. I will trust attorneys that I've talked with and trust my experience and knowledge of the legal system. They all tell me that what has happened with the NCAA is perfectly legal, and that the Spirit Lake case is weak.

• 4 weeks later...

News orginizations conduct exit polling, not the state.

Yes I agree, however I thought a more formal approach to exit polling would be interesting to the state because it feels like this referendum is about more than just the name.