SiouxSports.com Forum

June referral vote

TBR

A. As a Sioux football season ticket holder I can call myself a "stakeholder".

If that were indeed the case, you would realize how corrosive the Sioux moniker has become and will become for the school and see that it pursues its best interests as a member of the NC$$. And those best interests do not intersect with the purported interests of SL at this point.

& I'm OK with that look at this year & the future - it is not all that likely that we are in ncaa tournments - so just have some ND jerseys for that rare event & we should be OK - not a reason to remove the name

• Upvote 1

The nickname is not secondary. You are dead wrong on that point, end of conversation.

False. It is. UND won titles with no nickname. They won titles as the Flickertails. The won titles as the Fighting Sioux. They will continue to win titles with no nickname or whatever nickname comes next. They all count the same. They were all won by the University of North Dakota.

Also, does a team cease to exist if their logo changes or is it only their nickname? Or does it have to be both? I'm just curious because your web of (il)logical thoughts intrigue me.

they still could just no Sioux uniforms or SIOUX on the end zones

The end zones don't really matter because UND would never be allowed to host a home playoff game if they don't dump the sioux moniker. You really just don't get it do you?

To all you fans that want UND to prosper both athletically in the BSC, NCHC, and NCAA. To those who want UND to be respected academically as a research and teaching university: Arguing with certain folks on here is just a waste of time. I have finally come to realize that certain people will just not ever get it. I won't mention names, but we all know who they are. I for one am going to quit posting against their idiocy.

• Upvote 1

I do care about the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux program. It's just the University of North Dakota Cavalry/Nokotas/Aviators/any other stupid name that I don't care about.

Then go cheer for the Bison or Gophers then... What year did you graduate from UND?

No it's you who just want to run & hide & give up & make up things that may never happen

Are happening. Not may. Are.

If the women show up to their NCAA womens hockey tournament game against Minnesota this weekend with one, just one Sioux logo visible, or one visible word "Sioux" on any of their gear, or any jersey, or other gameday equipment, they are forfeited.

And it's not just the team. It's the band. It's the cheerleaders. It's UND's official travel party (Athletic Dept. staffers on the trip) that this applies to.

One slip-up by any one of that entire travel party (team, band, cheer team, staff) and it's "sorry Olympian Lamoureux twins, you're forfeited."

And if forfeited, UND has to reimburse the NCAA for the costs of the NCAA bringing UND there.

It's all spelled out in the letter from the NCAA to UND. Read it. Understand it.

http://ndgoon.blogsp...caa-to-und.html

And I'm willing to bet that the NCAA will have folks there looking for the first chance to prove the letter wasn't just a hollow threat.

If that happened I would hope we have better leaders & smarter recruits into those activities - For the rest of us it is a Free Country if the ncaa wants to police & make accusations & blow this out of proportion then they are even lower than I currently think they are

we know that but they can't break the agreement either - unless they want the State of ND suing their ass (after we vote yes) :D

Nobody's even accused them of breaking the agreement. At least those of us who have actually read it. And a "Yes" vote will have no impact on the NC$$. The only "victims" will be UND and its student-athletes who aren't "smarter" to go elsewhere ... :glare:

• Upvote 3

Fetch and DaveK, Can you tell me that our hockey coach is wrong with what he said about the nickname and logo then? I wouldn't want to the be ones standing there saying vote "Yes" when our own coach and president of the alumni association is saying it is time. Can you please explain how, when these individuals come out and say it's time, you can still say keep the name?

Can you at least answer the question? How can you go against what coach Hakstol says? Don't you think he has a little more inside knowledge to how this will affect the whole athletic department? He also wants to keep playing Minnesota our biggest rival.. Please answer the question...

They are only doing it to save their Jobs - they have no plans to break the agreement - so we will be OK unless the ncaa breaks their part of it & if they do - it will be the State of ND taking them on after the referral vote not the Lame SBOHE or UND Admin.

We are Fighting Sioux Fans - Always have been always will be - the sooner the ncaa & other outside interests get out of our way the sooner we will continue to honor the name & follow the Lame agreement our SBOHE & AG & UND ADMIN. got us into

It will hurt no one but us not being able to wear Sioux Gear on our teams uniforms etc. at ncaa events - not a big deal Not worth running away from the name :whistling: until SL wins their lawsuit

I can agree with the Sioux uniform not being able to wear that will only hurt us. But what about not being able to host post season games in Grand Forks. Initially we all thought that we could still host just couldn't wear anything Sioux related. But then the NCAA just sent out a letter saying that if we had the opportunity to host (i.e. the women's hockey team this year) that we would lose that and it would be at our opponents arena. That I do have a problem with, I want our squads to be able to have the edge, the home ice/court/field advantage. If we continue down this path of sanctions we will not be the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux that we all love we will be a shell of what we used to be because we will lose that advantage. We will start to lose recruits, we will start to lose money, the AD will start cutting programs and thus the shell that I was referring to.

the sooner the ncaa & other outside interests get out of our way the sooner we will continue to honor the name & follow the Lame agreement our SBOHE & AG & UND ADMIN. got us into

It will hurt no one but us not being able to wear Sioux Gear on our teams uniforms etc. at ncaa events - not a big deal Not worth running away from the name :whistling: until SL wins their lawsuit

We are following the agreement and so is the NC$$. Hence, the sanctions imposed and reiterated by letter.

Have you checked your water for lead?

• Upvote 2

... the sooner the ncaa & other outside interests get out of our way the sooner we will continue to honor the name & follow the Lame agreement our SBOHE & AG & UND ADMIN. got us into

Uh, you do realize the "Lame agreement" is between the State of North Dakota (by and through the ND SBoHE and UND) and the NCAA.

The NCAA won't "get out of our way" on that. They are a full party to it. And the NCAA will enjoy slamming the sanctions on UND.

We are Fighting Sioux Fans - Always have been always will be - the sooner the ncaa & other outside interests get out of our way the sooner we will continue to honor the name & follow the Lame agreement our SBOHE & AG & UND ADMIN. got us into

False.

I can agree with the Sioux uniform not being able to wear that will only hurt us. But what about not being able to host post season games in Grand Forks. Initially we all thought that we could still host just couldn't wear anything Sioux related. But then the NCAA just sent out a letter saying that if we had the opportunity to host (i.e. the women's hockey team this year) that we would lose that and it would be at our opponents arena. That I do have a problem with, I want our squads to be able to have the edge, the home ice/court/field advantage. If we continue down this path of sanctions we will not be the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux that we all love we will be a shell of what we used to be because we will lose that advantage. We will start to lose recruits, we will start to lose money, the AD will start cutting programs and thus the shell that I was referring to.

According to Dale Lennon we have probably already lost recruits in football. And anyone that had read the settement knew that hosting was going to be out of the question, even at a neutral site like Fargo.