SiouxSports.com Forum

June referral vote

TBR

I found it somewhat interesting that according to the poll, a clear majority of voters in Grand Forks, Cass and Burleigh Counties are apparently planning to vote "yes", whereas a clear majority of Ward County voters are apparently planning to vote "no". I guess Soderstrom has managed to at least convince a lot of people in his home county, although I highly doubt it will be such a landslide "no" victory in Ward County in June.

Reed mentioned the $250k and said he felt good that it was so close since the other side had spent all that money on a campaign. Obviously, the Alumni Foundation has spent very little of that money. But I would watch for a campaign coming to a North Dakota newspaper near you within the next couple of weeks.

I would expect a number of full-page ads and a radio blitz the week before the vote.

Where is the "nickname at all costs" crowd now? Where are all the conspiracy theories as to why the poll came out the way it did? I would bet Rob Port is blowing his stack right now!

He will blame everything on the wording of the measure. He will ask for another measure with no meaning no and yes meaning yes. :lol:

Where is the "nickname at all costs" crowd now? Where are all the conspiracy theories as to why the poll came out the way it did? I would bet Rob Port is blowing his stack right now!

He's saying the poll isn't valid because it doesn't even have any people who said they were undecided on the issue. He might have a point, but I'd guess the question was asked in a "If the vote was held today" kind of way. That way it captures which way everybody is leaning.....

He's saying the poll isn't valid because it doesn't even have any people who said they were undecided on the issue. He might have a point, but I'd guess the question was asked in a "If the vote was held today" kind of way. That way it captures which way everybody is leaning.....

I think at this point nobody should be NO undecided. Either you kill UND and vote no or save UND and vote yes. There is no inbetween, and the NCAA made that clear when they talked to Carlson face to face in Indy.

Attention Alumni Association:

I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to chip in some coin for the advertising campaign. How about a link on your home page to get this done? Make it easy.

Someone is listening:

Vote Yes

Thanks for the link. I stopped short of donating the entire $250k so everyone would be able to pitch in :lol:

Ha! Funny that you mention that... Here is one of Port's comment's, mind you this is from a guy have never attended a day at UND - yet he says "we" can unofficially be...I think that if funny. http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/poll-56-favor-retiring-fighting-sioux-nickname/

Even if Measure 4 fails, UND reverts back to the law passed during the last legislative session which requires no nickname at all. If that happens, I’d support the legislature making the “no nickname” requirement permanent, so we can unofficially be the Fighting Sioux forever.
  • Upvote 2

Ha! Funny that you mention that... Here is one of Port's comment's, mind you this is from a guy have never attended a day at UND - yet he says "we" can unofficially be...I think that if funny. http://sayanythingbl...sioux-nickname/

He isn't required by law to refer to UND to anyname other than Fighting Sioux so why should it be a law. If UND changes their name to the Fighting (enter name here), he can cheer Sioux while the other can cheer for the new name. I know it will take a while to say Fighting (enter name here) but at least we can ALL cheer for NORTH DAKOTA!!!

• Upvote 2

The PC crowd will go after all Native American names next - when will they quit ? ? ?

They probably will. Several of us have said that multiple times. You know what, they have the ability to do that. And nothing that happens with the vote on the Fighting Sioux nickname is going to affect that either way. The NCAA is still a membership organization and they can make any rules they want as long as the members don't get too upset. We know that the members supported the current policy, because they had a chance to remove it by keeping their decision making process the way it was, but they passed the new decision making policy by a super-majority. So the membership will probably also support extending the Native American policy, and there is nothing that can be done about it except leave the NCAA.

I don't want to be PC but you know that - we will see if ND is PC

It isn't about being PC at this point for UND. It is about what is best for the student-athletes. It is about what is best financially for the athletic department and the school. It is about making the best decision for the University of North Dakota. In fact, it is about making the best business decision for the state of North Dakota. Anyone that believes this is a PC decision really doesn't understand the situation and is completely off base.
  • Upvote 1

Sorry you don't understand

I understand that you don't care about the University. You don't care about any sports except hockey. And your only interest in the situation is that you don't want to give up the nickname. I think I understand pretty well.
  • Upvote 1