SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley says UND to resume use of Fighting Sioux nickname

cowboys5xsbs

Wait until Gloria Allred shows up on campus for a Title IX lawsuit. Right now, the only team subject to the NCAA sanctions is the women's hockey team. As of right now, they would be forfeiting a home first round game that they have earned on the ice. Pretty unfortunate that the first ever UND's womens hockey NCAA tourney game is now guaranteed to be on the road. Nice way to treat those that have helped build that program.

It is absolutely imperative that the State Board of Higher Education do what it takes to get this law struck down as unconstitutional by the ND Supreme Court. They should have done that as soon as it was passed in 2011, but now would be better late than never. Despite the nonsense you read on sayanythingblog.com, the nickname-at-all-costs crowd on this forum and the leaders of this petition drive, this action will destroy UND athletics forever and ever. It won't happen right away, but it will happen. It will be a slow, painful death. We will become the lepers of college athletics; no one will want to touch us (recruits, institutions, conferences). And that includes Men's Hockey; so even if that is all you care about, you should also be concerned.

The State Board should show leadership on this issue or step aside and let someone else do it.

• Upvote 2

Jim - even I don't believe that 100% but it is a valid devil's advocate type position in a debate. & like someone said there are a great # who love to see this mess get worse because of sports (ndsu) or fargo vs GF or east west thinking

The arrogance & thinking that only UND students or Alumni or Admin. should have all the answers to this is myopic thinking. They are actually the minority in this State & City.

& Hey the Ralph & Good Hockey are what that majority really do care about - & Fighting Sioux is a HUGE part of that - the word fanatic was created for good reason - UND sucked us all in to love Fighting Sioux Hockey & now were to be quiet & be sheep :silly: & do as were told & the rest of the State should feel sorry for UND & do what the Alumi. Students & Admin. & ncaa says - thats laughable & will back fire

I have always said Sioux Hockey is as close to pro sports as ND & this region will ever have & worth fighting for

This board is too full of pus#ies.

What ever happened to standing up for what you believe in?

People are really talking about scenarios in which we "might as well go NAIA"? Back of the ledge Nancies.

Oh nooooo we won't be able to keep our membership in the BIG BAD BIG SKY!!! Please, first of all, it appears as the BSC is letting this all play out, so where you chicken littles get that from is beyond me. Secondly, you all act like the Big Sky, Summitt, etc is SO SUPERIOR. It's not like we are talking about losing membership from the Big East, SEC, Big 12, etc. Even if the Big Sky were to try and throw UND out, it's not like we couldn't get in a conference just as comparable.

• Upvote 3

People are really talking about scenarios in which we "might as well go NAIA"? Back of the ledge Nancies.

Oh nooooo we won't be able to keep our membership in the BIG BAD BIG SKY!!! Please, first of all, it appears as the BSC is letting this all play out, so where you chicken littles get that from is beyond me. Secondly, you all act like the Big Sky, Summitt, etc is SO SUPERIOR. It's not like we are talking about losing membership from the Big East, SEC, Big 12, etc. Even if the Big Sky were to try and throw UND out, it's not like we couldn't get in a conference just as comparable.

We get it, all you care about is Men's Hockey. Now please just go back to the Men's Hockey forum and quit being Rob Port's mouthpiece.

• Upvote 2

And you were where in this fight 6-7 years ago?

It is absolutely imperative that the State Board of Higher Education do what it takes to get this law struck down as unconstitutional by the ND Supreme Court. They should have done that as soon as it was passed in 2011, but now would be better late than never. Despite the nonsense you read on sayanythingblog.com, the nickname-at-all-costs crowd on this forum and the leaders of this petition drive, this action will destroy UND athletics forever and ever. It won't happen right away, but it will happen. It will be a slow, painful death. We will become the lepers of college athletics; no one will want to touch us (recruits, institutions, conferences). And that includes Men's Hockey; so even if that is all you care about, you should also be concerned.

The State Board should show leadership on this issue or step aside and let someone else do it.

Anyone ever thought that the SBoHE ceded this argument by not doing so initially AND by sending troops of people to lobby the legislature to repeal it? First words out of Gerald VandeWalle's mouth would be: "But didn't the SBoHE subordinate itself to the legislative process by sending people to lobby against the law when it was passed and by sending people to lobby in favor of its repeal?" And, "What if the legislature passed a law prohibiting smoking within 10 feet of any public building, including college campuses. Couldn't the SBoHE in its 'plenary' power reverse that?"

Could it be that the best thing Shaft, et al could do would be to let it alone? Challenge the constitutionality of a law that that was passed through the legislative process which the SBoHE participated in? Right, that's not going to impact anything. Don't know if there's a laches or res judicata type scenario here but, at the very least, it will look foolish.

Anyone ever thought that the SBoHE ceded this argument by not doing so initially AND by sending troops of people to lobby the legislature to repeal it? First words out of Gerald VandeWalle's mouth would be: "But didn't the SBoHE subordinate itself to the legislative process by sending people to lobby against the law when it was passed and by sending people to lobby in favor of its repeal?" And, "What if the legislature passed a law prohibiting smoking within 10 feet of any public building, including college campuses. Couldn't the SBoHE in its 'plenary' power reverse that?"

Could it be that the best thing Shaft, et al could do would be to let it alone? Challenge the constitutionality of a law that that was passed through the legislative process which the SBoHE participated in? Right, that's not going to impact anything. Don't know if there's a laches or res judicata type scenario here but, at the very least, it will look foolish.

My guess is that the State Board wanted to avoid the legal option if at all possible. But the time has come to challenge the legality of this law. If not, there is no telling what kind of micromanaging will take place by "Prime Minister" Al Carlson and the ND House of Representatives.

This is definately not good for the future of UND athletics. What a shame when we are an independant playing small time schedules with no interest for the fans. Might as well go NAIA.

Anything would be nice if we got the sioux. I loved the division two days oer our division one days anyway.

My guess is that the State Board wanted to avoid the legal option if at all possible. But the time has come to challenge the legality of this law. If not, there is no telling what kind of micromanaging will take place by "Prime Minister" Al Carlson and the ND House of Representatives.

Yes, but the SBoHE is not a 4th branch of government. The legislature's job is to "micromanage" which includes the ongoings of institutions of higher learning. Why not prohibit the legislature from micromanaging the funding of higher ed? I was in my final year of law school when the SBoHE stuff was done and I thought it was incredibly inappropriate then and it just looks ridiculous now.

• Upvote 1

Here's what UND/SBHE should do:

1. Do not challenge the constitutionality of the law. :ohmy:

a. SBHE will win and the law will be struck down, however, it will energize the movement to put the name on the constitution.

b. I believe if the law is in place, less people will feel the need to go out and find a petition to sign to put the name on the consitution because they will already feel like they've won.

c. If the name gets put on the constitution, not only is UND screwed, but we would now have the biggest joke of a constitution in the country.

2. Use the Fighting Sioux name.

a. Hopefull the Women's Hockey team will earn a home playoff game due to playing well, but unfortunately they will suffer for the use of the name. Maybe I'm a terrible person for saying so and this is just my opinion, but better them in the short term than the football team forever.

b. This will give dumb people a chance to see how the law will affect UND athletics prior to the vote.

3. Pray :hypocrite:

a. For false signatures to be found (Minnesota residents, dead people, people signing as a joke).

b. For smart people to remember to vote and dumb people to forget (maybe the Herald/Tribune/Forum could help out be not running articles on it everday :whistling: )

c. For the Big Sky to give them time.

d. For the NC$$ to back down (this will never happen, but praying for it might make some people feel good).

4. If all this fails, say $%$! it and break the law. :devil:

Yes, but the SBoHE is not a 4th branch of government. The legislature's job is to "micromanage" which includes the ongoings of institutions of higher learning. Why not prohibit the legislature from micromanaging the funding of higher ed? I was in my final year of law school when the SBoHE stuff was done and I thought it was incredibly inappropriate then and it just looks ridiculous now.

I hate to tell you this, but it kind of is. The N.D. Constitution clearly states that the State Board of Higher Education has the authority to manage the affairs of the Higher Ed Institutions of the State of North Dakota. The passage has been posted here many times and I am too lazy to look it up, but that is what it says. This was done to prevent the political interference in Higher Ed that took place during the early part of the 20th Century. The State Board is appointed by the Governor and is not a committee of the Legislature that can be ordered around by Al Carlson or anyone else. If "Prime Minister" Al Carlson and his allies don't like it, why don't they amend the Constitution to change it?

As for funding, the Legislature is definitely in charge of that. And I am not surprised they haven't defunded the whole system and privatized everything by now, because they definitely don't like the concept of Higher Education in general.

• Upvote 3

Sorry to ruin the "Sky is falling" party, but it is time to throw some cold hard facts out there to refute the armageddon talk that has infested this place.

http://sayanythingbl...ng-sioux-issue/

And for all the rest of the news that matters: http://www.nationalenquirer.com/

Both of those links belong in the same catagory.

Sorry to ruin the "Sky is falling" party, but it is time to throw some cold hard facts out there to refute the armageddon talk that has infested this place.

http://sayanythingbl...ng-sioux-issue/

I'm actually a fan of Rob Port, but if you take anything he says on this subject as "facts", well then God help you.

It is his opinion, and it just happens to fall in line with alot of people that really don't care one way or the other about the University as a whole, just a single aspect of it, or the "principle" of the the issue or what-have-you.......................

If you read his rebuttals to some of the comments, his agenda all along becomes blatantly clear. He signed on with Carlson to use this as a pawn in their quest to take down the SBoHE. It is no secret the disdain of many for it and they don't care if UND athletics are destroyed in their quest to take out the SBoHE.

Help me understand why the Board's constitutional authority will be the primary issue.

A state cannot legislate away it's contractual obligations. Am I missing something?