SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley says UND to resume use of Fighting Sioux nickname

cowboys5xsbs

I am so flipping tired of this whole thing. It's wearing me down. It's wearing everybody down. I don't even know who is on which side anymore. The only thing I know for sure is that the longer this goes on, the more UND and its students will lose. It is clear that the NCAA and particular member institutions are not going to back down, and that there is no future legal mandate that can require them to do so. Even if the Sioux name and logo are affirmed by a popular vote and a constitutional amendment, it still won't force the NCAA's hand. It still will not have the effect of a particular tribal council coming forward and authorizing the name and logo for ongoing, future use. As I interpret the facts, UND is now in violation of the NCAA agreement and our athletic teams will begin to be sanctioned. This means that UND teams will not be able to host playoff games this Spring, and that UND will not be able to participate in playoff games with the Sioux name and logo on it's uniforms. Our athletes, students, and university are now beginning to suffer in a very concrete way. Somebody please tell me who exactly is winning by pushing this issue further still. When will people just let it go already? I'm starting to think the answer to this question is "never." How sad for UND and its students.

• Upvote 4

Has anybody else out there considered the possibility that some state citizens may vote in support of the Sioux name and logo out of spite for UND as an institution? There are small-minded people out there who will vote to keep the name and logo in effect because they are aware of the ongoing damage it will do to UND and how it will weaken it in relation to other institutions such as NDSU and UMN. This issue could be decided by the haters rather than by those who either genuinely support or oppose the name and logo. UND may end up being UNDone by those who vote the Sioux name and logo into law out of spite. How ironic that those who have hated the "UND Fighting Sioux" over the years may play a large role in seriously damaging UND by voting in support of "Fighting Sioux" as a name and logo.

• Upvote 1

Has anybody else out there considered the possibility that some state citizens may vote in support of the Sioux name and logo out of spite for UND as an institution? There are small-minded people out there who will vote to keep the name and logo in effect because they are aware of the ongoing damage it will do to UND and how it will weaken it in relation to other institutions such as NDSU and UMN. This issue could be decided by the haters rather than by those who either genuinely support or oppose the name and logo. UND may end up being UNDone by those who vote the Sioux name and logo into law out of spite. How ironic that those who have hated the "UND Fighting Sioux" over the years may play a large role in seriously damaging UND by voting in support of "Fighting Sioux" as a name and logo.

This is why I said a few days ago that if this goes to vote, either by the voters of North Dakota or the Big Sky presidents, it is than out of the hands of anyone with an interest in UND and its athletics. One does not have to look any further than the success the petitions had in Fargo, the postings of fans on the bisonville fan board, or the number of signitures gathered at the ndsu playoff games. I am not saying they are in any way responsible for this but obviously the people gathering signitures knew that they would have success gathering signitures because of what you mentioned above. I doubt their whole fanbase feels that way but there are definately some.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/228879/

He said he has “told the university they shouldn’t take further action toward retiring the name,” but not to take other action beyond resuming use of the name “until we know what the board does next week.”

They are saying go ahead all call yourselves the UND Fighting Sioux but do NOT re-issue merchandising contracts or put up already taken down logos.

This is definately not good for the future of UND athletics. What a shame when we are an independant playing small time schedules with no interest for the fans. Might as well go NAIA.

Can't go NAIA: no hockey there.

If this stays and UND stays on sanctions and the predictable repercussions happen (no conference, bad schedules, start losing recruits) the first folks to complain about all that and losing records will be the folks who forced the name to stay. Again, predictable.

• Upvote 1

Hey then turn the Ralph into a AHL team - Give the name to SL & UND can go play with the ncaa.......... Win- Win

THEY DON'T DESERVE RALPHS GIFT

& maybe all the Alumni can raise enough $$$ to buy the tax burden - The Alerus Center - to be their new D1 home & UND can fund that boondoggle - not the city of Grand Forks win - win - WIN

• Upvote 1

Hey then turn the Ralph into a AHL team - Give the name to SL & UND can go play with the ncaa.......... Win- Win

& maybe all the Alumni can raise enough $$$ to buy the tax burden - The Alerus Center - to be their new D1 home & UND can fund that boondoggle - not the city of Grand Forks

So what happens then to the REA when it becomes property of the University of North Dakota on Sept 30th, 2030?

You presume to know what Mr. Engelstad would do when painted into such a corner. He seemed like a pragmatic businessman to me. He wished he could do business with a handshake but changed with the times and hired piles of lawyers to make his agreements. He surely didn't like that, but he did what the times forced him to.

PS - Your heated response based in pure fantasy (AHL team?) tells me that you're finally realizing that the NCAA and its cohorts aren't bluffing and that you've either been fooled or have been fooling yourself to believe they'd back down from their (legal settlement agreement) position.

• Upvote 1

Hey your the one's that thinks sports are going down the tube

& don't think they can fill the place with out ncaa blessings - I do think a Fighting Sioux Team in the AHL will fill the place

So if the City or AHL team can't aquire it (the Ralph) then lease it to a winner (to pay for the Alerus) that is a money pit & mistake Grand Forks made - Oh & good luck breaking even on that

I see a large % of the State & the residents of GF tired of how this has been handled & maybe even tired of paying for UND (or many colleges) Sports (Tired of UND & NDSU Alumni spending) & tired of funding Higher Ed like it has been - We need trade schools to train the new workforce for the Bakken & other jobs for the future - not just to export college grads.

All this & the economy will brings the walls tumbling down

The "Dear Chuck" letter was in the context of UND doing it for no reason but their own internally.

The world today is that UND is being cornered (coerced) to change from the outside.

Different circumstance don't guarantee Mr. Engelstad would've view them both the same way.

I see a large % of the State & the residents of GF tired of how this has been handled & maybe even tired of paying for UND (or many colleges) Sports (Tired of UND & NDSU Alumni spending) & tired of funding Higher Ed like it has been - We need trade schools to train the new workforce for the Bakken & other jobs for the future - not just to export college grads.

What are you smoking? I'd like to try some of it.

Are you Dosch or Skarphol?

Well I have lived in & worked in every part of this State & know GF extremely well - we will see when the votes are counted

& I will enjoy the day when overly educated are ousted by austerity & most of you will have to find real jobs