SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley says UND to resume use of Fighting Sioux nickname

cowboys5xsbs

Never thought I would ever say this but I agree that it is time for the name to go. The risks/consequences far outweigh the benefit of the Sioux name and I would hate to see UND as an institution irreperably harmed. I blame myself for not fighting harder years ago to try and keep the name but to have that fight now is just a little to late considering the consequences to THE UNIVERSITY of NORTH DAKOTA.

I know how you feel. I'm there with you.

At some point, pragmatism has to overcome the rainbows-unicorns-wishful thinking that the NCAA will ever back down from their policy.

• Upvote 2

I don't care who we play as long as I can cheer GO SIOUX!!

You can do that as long as you would like. Doesn't matter what UND, the legislature or the NCAA decides. Don't even need to go to an athletic event. In fact, if the name is that important you could even do some volunteer work in your community to help Native American families or children. Trust me, that will be more rewarding and certainly more productive than yelling words.

The frustrating thing about some of those who fall into the "sky is falling" category ...

The Sky, the Big Sky, is falling ... away from UND.

Listen to Doug Fullerton. He wasn't making threats. He was stating cold realities. He's no longer sounds like an advocate for UND with the Big Sky. Lose the commissioner, lose the spot.

The frustrating thing about some of those who fall into the "sky is falling" category here is that you can't tell the difference between their posts and the posts of the PC nazis who think the nickname is offensive. Both groups want the name gone, so is there really any difference between them? To me there really isn't, at least not enough of a difference to where I'm any more tolerant of one group over the other. The reason I feel this way is because in my opinion wanting the nickname to go away (for whatever reason) is hostile and abusive to our Native American friends who are fighting so hard to save it.

So where does the crowd fall that is using the nickname and your Native American friends to try and stick it to the man. They have no interest what so ever in the nickname or UND, this is being used for political positioning. If Al Carlson really felt that strongly that the nickname was honoring the NA's and was doing so much good for the NA community, don't you think he would have set some form of punishment for breaking his law? And what are your thoughts on him basically recommending to UND they break the law if this passes? Does that sound like a guy who has the backs of the Native Americans working so hard or a guy who actually met with the NCAA and knows their stance and knows whats best for UND?

Two facets of this boondoggle that continually amaze:

1) The unending propensity of the nickname-only crowd (Chewey, crazy Dave, et al) to spout flights of fancy and irrational assumption as fact despite all evidence to the contrary. (I'm still waiting for the post-New Year's announcement, promised so frequently by Star last fall, that the Montana schools are off for the WAC, proving that "the Big Sky needs UND more than we need the Big Sky."); and;

2) The eagerness of some supposed UND supporters (e.g. Scott Hennen) to continually exploit this as some sort of larger liberal-v-conservative poitical issue regardless of cost to the University.

The Sky, the Big Sky, is falling ... away from UND.

Listen to Doug Fullerton. He wasn't making threats. He was stating cold realities. He's no longer sounds like an advocate for UND with the Big Sky. Lose the commissioner, lose the spot.

Even better. Rob Port is now flat out calling the Big Sky out on whether or not they will drop UND. Says it is put up or shut up time. This could not be a worse move. I truly hope that Kelley and Faison are reassuring Fullerton and other Big Sky presidents that this is being taken care of. I feel very, very uncomfortable for non-stakeholders making claims and pushing for decisions that seriously impact my alma mater.

Even better. Rob Port is now flat out calling the Big Sky out on whether or not they will drop UND. Says it is put up or shut up time. This could not be a worse move. I truly hope that Kelley and Faison are reassuring Fullerton and other Big Sky presidents that this is being taken care of. I feel very, very uncomfortable for non-stakeholders making claims and pushing for decisions that seriously impact my alma mater.

Rob Port doesn't speak for anyone but himself. And he has been pretty consistent in his hatred for all things Higher Ed (I'll give him that).

Rob Port doesn't speak for anyone but himself. And he has been pretty consistent in his hatred for all things Higher Ed (I'll give him that).

Agreed 100%. But he finally found a pawn in his game that gets him the attention that he wants for his crusade against Higher Ed. And destroying UND in his quest is of no concern to him.