SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

Those are the d1 rules. There are different rules for d2 and juco. Lets just assume he's going to play right away for 4 years

The following are from the 2011-2012 NCAA rule book for Division I, I couldn't find this year's edition. If you follow the trail you will see that a student only gets 4 years of competition, and has 5 years to complete those 4 years (with some exceptions like military service and religious reasons). The 5 years start when the student starts their first semester at a collegiate institution, which is defined as accredited and authorized to grant at least a 1 year degree. A community college, if it is accredited, would qualify as this collegiate institution. The student, if a qualifier, needs to complete at least 1 semester before transferring to a new school, and must complete at least 12 credit hours with a 2.0 per semester to remain eligible.

In other words, Robertson's 5 year clock started when he attended the first day of the semester at the community college. The only way he is eligible to play this coming fall is if he was a qualifier when entering college, and he completed at least 12 credits this past semester with at least a 2.0 grade average. This past football season was part of his 5 year window, so it was basically a redshirt year, and he has 4 1/2 years left to compete in football. That 1/2 year would be the current semester.

14.2 SE ASONS OF COMPETITION : FIVE-YE AR RULE

A student-athlete shall not engage in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport (see

Bylaws 14.02.7 and 14.3.3). An institution shall not permit a student-athlete to represent it in intercollegiate

competition unless the individual completes all of his or her seasons of participation in all sports within the time

periods specified below:

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar

years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum

full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious

missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students,

service in the armed forces or on an official religious mission of the student’s home country is considered

equivalent to such service in the United States. (Revised: 4/2/10)

14.2.1.1 Determining the Start of the Five-Year Period. For purposes of starting the count of time under

the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution (domestic or foreign;

see Bylaw 14.02.3) when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an

academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the

student’s first day of classes for that term (see Bylaw 14.2.2).

14.02.3 Collegiate Institution. A collegiate institution (for purposes of NCAA legislation) is an institution

of higher education that:

(a) Is accredited at the college level by an agency or association recognized by the Secretary of the Department of

Education and legally authorized to offer at least a one-year program of study creditable toward a degree; or

(Revised: 1/10/90, 8/8/02)

14.5.1 R esidence Requirement—General Principle. A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to

a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence

(see Bylaw 14.02.13) at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses

from the member institution (see Bylaw 16.8.1.2), unless the student satisfies the applicable transfer requirements

or qualifies for an exception as set forth in this bylaw. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 4/27/00 effective 8/1/01,

5/19/08, 6/24/09, 4/14/10)

14.5.4 Two-Year College Transfers. A student who transfers to a member institution from a two-year college

or from a branch school that conducts an intercollegiate athletics program must complete an academic year

of residence unless the student meets the following eligibility requirements applicable to the division of which the

certifying institution is a member. (Revised: 1/10/92, 4/14/10)

14.5.4.1 Qualifier. A transfer student from a two-year college who was a qualifier (per Bylaw 14.3.1.1) is eligible

for competition in the first academic year in residence only if the student: (Revised: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03)

(a) Has spent at least one full-time semester or one full-time quarter in residence at the two-year college

(excluding summer sessions);

(b) Has presented a minimum grade-point average of 2.000 (see Bylaw 14.5.4.5.3.2); and

© Has satisfactorily completed an average of at least 12-semester or quarter hours of transferable-degree

credit acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program at the certifying institution for each full-time

academic term of attendance at the two-year college.

The following are from the 2011-2012 NCAA rule book for Division I, I couldn't find this year's edition. If you follow the trail you will see that a student only gets 4 years of competition, and has 5 years to complete those 4 years (with some exceptions like military service and religious reasons). The 5 years start when the student starts their first semester at a collegiate institution, which is defined as accredited and authorized to grant at least a 1 year degree. A community college, if it is accredited, would qualify as this collegiate institution. The student, if a qualifier, needs to complete at least 1 semester before transferring to a new school, and must complete at least 12 credit hours with a 2.0 per semester to remain eligible.

In other words, Robertson's 5 year clock started when he attended the first day of the semester at the community college. The only way he is eligible to play this coming fall is if he was a qualifier when entering college, and he completed at least 12 credits this past semester with at least a 2.0 grade average. This past football season was part of his 5 year window, so it was basically a redshirt year, and he has 4 1/2 years left to compete in football. That 1/2 year would be the current semester.

It really depends on if he went to CC as a FT or PT student, if he went as a PT student he may have the full 5 years left if can qualify by fulfilling certain criteria, if not he will have 4 years left. Looks like it's really dependent on what the individual person needs to accomplish whether or not it is feasible, probably only someone with the experience of a Supreme Court Justice could figure it out so I guess we'll see what the NCAA says down the road.

Personally I think it's a moot point, I think he's going to be a big part of the offense this year.

It really depends on if he went to CC as a FT or PT student, if he went as a PT student he may have the full 5 years left if can qualify by fulfilling certain criteria, if not he will have 4 years left. Looks like it's really dependent on what the individual person needs to accomplish whether or not it is feasible, probably only someone with the experience of a Supreme Court Justice could figure it out so I guess we'll see what the NCAA says down the road.

Personally I think it's a moot point, I think he's going to be a big part of the offense this year.

According to the last item I quoted, which I have listed again below, he is only eligible to play this coming year if he was a full time student (minimum of 12 credits) at the community college. He had to complete that semester. And those 12 credits need to transfer to the 4 year school. If he was a part time student at the community college he would not be eligible to play this coming fall.

14.5.4.1 Qualifier. A transfer student from a two-year college who was a qualifier (per Bylaw 14.3.1.1) is eligible

for competition in the first academic year in residence only if the student: (Revised: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03)

(a) Has spent at least one full-time semester or one full-time quarter in residence at the two-year college

(excluding summer sessions);

(b) Has presented a minimum grade-point average of 2.000 (see Bylaw 14.5.4.5.3.2); and

© Has satisfactorily completed an average of at least 12-semester or quarter hours of transferable-degree

credit acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program at the certifying institution for each full-time

academic term of attendance at the two-year college.

I get that but according to the NCAA Transfer Guide the 5-year clock doesn't start until a student athlete is enrolled as a full-time student, if they are enrolled in a 2-year college as a part-time student and have never practiced or played while enrolled part-time they are not considered transfers and are basically free to move without consequences.

If he enrolled as a full-time student he would have to fulfill the requirements you laid out, and would lose his first semester of eligibility and have 4 1/2 years left like you said. They are also supposed to be ineligible for one full academic year of residence after the move in either scenario, but can get around that if the 2-year college they are coming from did not sponsor that sport, which I'm sure they didn't.

One thing I do know is that reading NCAA rulebooks must be a part of Hell, unbelievable how much information you have to sift through to find what you're looking for, and even then you're not really sure if there is more that you're missing.

http://www.oregonliv...ces_the_re.html

But still, while Riddle knows the opportunity to play at that level is a great one, he ultimately would prefer to stay close to home. And while he did give a verbal commitment, he's not closing the door to other offers between now and the Feb. 6 signing day. He still plans to take an official visit to Portland State, which also plays in the Big Sky.

"If I didn't commit, I felt like I would be closing a door," he said. "I'm just going to keep my options open."

Verbal commitments aren't what they used to be. Regardless, I would love to see Riddle at UND.

Jameer Thurman update from 1/16. http://footballrecru...asp?CID=1460705"I

"I went out to North Dakota last weekend for an official visit," Thurman said. "It was pretty cold out there but otherwise it was a great visit. North Dakota really gave me a lot to consider and they really have a lot to offer."

Thurman recapped his thoughts and impressions from North Dakota.

"The visit went well. They really made sure I was able to experience everything and they really made sure that they covered everything from academics to the football program and everything in between. I really was impressed with everything that North Dakota has to offer. They really compared well with every school I've seen. The dome they play in was amazing and the facilities are top notch. I'm planning to major in civil engineering and they have a terrific program and I was able to meet some of the professors and learned a lot about the engineering program. Overall it was a great visit and I was really impressed."

Jameer said SIU cancelled visit for this weekend because they are full at his position. Still planning to visit Illinois St & Western Illinois.

• Upvote 3

So basically, he's probably signing with UND. Unless Portland State or some other division I school on the west coast offers. I guess that's what you would call a "soft" commitment. ???

I have no idea what Portland St.'s needs are, but if Riddle is the top rated QB in the state of Oregon, wouldn't they almost certainly offer him?

On the other hand, if he is the top rated QB in Oregon, why hasn't PSU offered him ALREADY?

I suppose us and Portland St. are in the same boat. They had a true freshmen QB last year who put up decent numbers, he's their starter next year. We have a couple freshmen who are competing for the starting job and are the favorite going into spring/fall. We'll see how it plays out but the comments make me question his commitment status. Still would love to see him on campus next fall

You wait to see if anyone else is going to come in on them, since they are local. If they don't, you get them for cheaper. If they do, then you have to act. Its a wait-and-see game knowing you have a very good shot at getting them but only are going to spend as much as you need to.

Seems like verbal change happen in Montana as well.

http://billingsgazet...26e22e0d33.html

“People are always going to talk about what’s going to happen with the (possible NCAA) sanctions at UM, or they had a bad year so they won’t be good, or they changed coaches. It had nothing to do with any of that, honestly,” Brekke said.

Could the NCAA slap UM with sanctions? And how harsh could they be to swtich to a rival school.

The University of South Dakota football program added another verbal commitment from the state of Kansas on Tuesday, as quarterback Aaron Ramsey of Overland Park said he will sign with the Coyotes.

The 6-foot-4 Ramsey passed 978 yards and rushed for 1,063 yards last fall as a senior, accounting for 30 touchdowns.

His high school coach, Bill Lowe, said that Ramsey had offers from other schools but they wanted to move him to defense.

National Signing Day is Wednesday, Feb. 6.

Must have changed his mind.