SiouxSports.com Forum

Petitions

darell1976

Forever!!!

EXACTLY!!! GREAT POST BY SIOUXVIKES!!! I just love that the most rabid anti-nickname people are also the ones that have never had any vested interest in UND and have no idea the pride most alumni feel in regards to the FIGHTING SIOUX nickname and logo. And that it could possibly go WAY BEYOND the friggin hockey team.

• Upvote 2

Actually, most of the people on this forum that are currently saying it is time to move on, are UND alumni. Some with multiple degrees or long family histories at UND. We are all proud of the nickname. But, we realize that the continued use of the nickname will damage the University that we care about.

• Upvote 3

Actually, most of the people on this forum that are currently saying it is time to move on, are UND alumni. Some with multiple degrees or long family histories at UND. We are all proud of the nickname. But, we realize that the continued use of the nickname will damage the University that we care about.

Thats right. And when/if these petitions go through and there is a state wide vote, the nickname and the future of UND athletics are going to be put in the hands of people who A) didn't attend UND or aren't fans of UND and B) don't give a !@#$ about the future of UND athletics or the nickname. These people will be a large percentage of voters across the state of ND and presidents of schools in the Big Sky conference.

• Upvote 2

I was trying to make a statement about the university as a whole, not just sports. Hey, let DaveK or Darell be the voice on either side of the subject, doesn't affect me one way or the other, just helps discredit ss.com even more. Hell, I hope the petition goes thru at this point and all pizza delivery people can wear their sioux hockey jersey proudly.

100% agree. I was a strong nickname supporter at one time. I am a UND Graduate and Letterwinner and have that long family history as well. I have come to realize that this petition might be the most damaging thing you could do to the university at this time. Having to change the nickname isn't fair but life isn't fair and we need to make the best of it. The 'hockey only' crowd doesn't care about the rest of the sports at UND and are willing to sell them down the river for a hockey jersey.

I don't think they are aware that they are willing to sell the rest of the sports and concede them to NDSU. They would probably be the first ones to bash the sports and claim that there is no reason that UND isn't competing in those sports (even after sanctions would theoretically be imposed). I also imagine that they will use the lack of other sports success as a reason to justify why keeping the name was a good idea because "Its not like the other sports are winning anyway."

As an NDSU fan, I am more than happy to watch this all go down. As a person who believes in humanity, some of this is sad to watch and some people really need to reevaluate their stance on keeping the nickname.

I don't think they are aware that they are willing to sell the rest of the sports and concede them to NDSU. They would probably be the first ones to bash the sports and claim that there is no reason that UND isn't competing in those sports (even after sanctions would theoretically be imposed). I also imagine that they will use the lack of other sports success as a reason to justify why keeping the name was a good idea because "Its not like the other sports are winning anyway."

As an NDSU fan, I am more than happy to watch this all go down. As a person who believes in humanity, some of this is sad to watch and some people really need to reevaluate their stance on keeping the nickname.

I have grown up a football and basketball fan and I too want the sioux to be born again.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I were killing time in the UND Bookstore before the hockey game on Saturday. On our way to REA we had to pass by the area where the petitioners were trying to gather signatures. As I walked past (sporting a Fighting Sioux hat, jacket and jersey) I was asked if I would "sign to save the Sioux". I firmly hollered out while passing, "no thanks, the students and athletes are more important to me than a nickname!"

The guy collecting signatures turned and followed us for about 50-75 feet screaming, "yeah, because it is all about some game"......................

Just thought I would share my experience......................................

My family and I were killing time in the UND Bookstore before the hockey game on Saturday. On our way to REA we had to pass by the area where the petitioners were trying to gather signatures. As I walked past (sporting a Fighting Sioux hat, jacket and jersey) I was asked if I would "sign to save the Sioux". I firmly hollered out while passing, "no thanks, the students and athletes are more important to me than a nickname!"

The guy collecting signatures turned and followed us for about 50-75 feet screaming, "yeah, because it is all about some game"......................

Vhat?

My family and I were killing time in the UND Bookstore before the hockey game on Saturday. On our way to REA we had to pass by the area where the petitioners were trying to gather signatures. As I walked past (sporting a Fighting Sioux hat, jacket and jersey) I was asked if I would "sign to save the Sioux". I firmly hollered out while passing, "no thanks, the students and athletes are more important to me than a nickname!" The guy collecting signatures turned and followed us for about 50-75 feet screaming, "yeah, because it is all about some game"...................... Just thought I would share my experience......................................
I don't understand - what was their point in saying that?

I'll wear my Fighting Sioux gear to games. I wear my hat and a t-shirt or hoodie around town sometimes.

But, I wonder if this just encourages those folks? Just throwing that out there...

I'm guessing the petitioneer was trying to claim this is about some higher principle like state's rights. They forget the NCAA is a private organization and that ND's constitution matters not to such an organization.

Nah, he was making some muddled argument about the Second Amendment ... or maybe the Dormant Commerce Clause. :lol:

• Upvote 1