SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I believe he sat behind two QBs at North Carolina that got drafted into the NFL. He graduated from college already and has enrolled in grad school at UND. If he wanted to play FBS ball, he'd have to sit out a season. He has family ties to the area, so I think it was just alot of stars aligning at the right time that North Dakota was a good fit for him this season...................

Did not know about the family ties to the area, a very good thing. If he already has graduated from North Carolina then he would get to transfer anywhere and not have to sit out a season ala Russell Wilson to Wisconsin or Dayne Crist to Kansas.

Or Brett Bruneteau to Vermont.... :sad:

If you look at the rosters we better at every position other than CB and safety so it's safe to say we'd give you guys all you'd want and more

Oh. My. Kool-aid bro.

A team better at every position than the National Champs who return a load of starters wouldn't have struggled with bad teams like UNC, Sioux Falls, etc. And wouldn't have gotten embarassed by Idaho. I understand that a year can make a big difference, (see 3-8 to 9-5 for 'SU), but thats a very, very bold claim.

I'll just assume you were joking about the better at every position except CB and safety. I imagine you think UND will go 10-1 this year as well? Maybe 11-0 and walk through to the national championship? Because a team better at every position other than a couple than NDSU will more than likely walk right through everyone.

I believe he sat behind two QBs at North Carolina that got drafted into the NFL. He graduated from college already and has enrolled in grad school at UND. If he wanted to play FBS ball, he'd have to sit out a season. He has family ties to the area, so I think it was just alot of stars aligning at the right time that North Dakota was a good fit for him this season...................

I have seen his name spelled with a "e"...Hansen, and with an "o"..Hanson. Do you or anyone know which correct spelling it is?

2012 Big Sky Poll

ak8pop.png

Lets hope the media knows more than the coaches....... ???

IMO the media poll is more accurate. I would've put UND in the middle of the pack...no way are we towards the bottom, but then again most BSC coaches know nothing about UND. Time to make some noise in this conference.

• Upvote 1

IMO the media poll is more accurate. I would've put UND in the middle of the pack...no way are we towards the bottom, but then again most BSC coaches know nothing about UND. Time to make some noise in this conference.

Do you really think most BSC coaches know "nothing" about UND at this point? Maybe that was true when UND applied for membership, but fall camp is weeks away now. Coaches are control freaks. I would bet the head coach of most of the teams in the conference had an assistant put together a dossier on UND in the off season. They aren't gonna wait until game week to learn something about the program.

What coach voted SUU number 1? I don't understand all the love they get. I'm not sayin they suck or anything, but IMO they are getting way too much mileage from beating a crappy FBS team.

Conversely, I can't believe that Cal Poly only got 1 first place vote in the media poll and none in the coaches................I think they will walk to at least a share of the conference title.

What coach voted SUU number 1? I don't understand all the love they get. I'm not sayin they suck or anything, but IMO they are getting way too much mileage from beating a crappy FBS team.

Conversely, I can't believe that Cal Poly only got 1 first place vote in the media poll and none in the coaches................I think they will walk to at least a share of the conference title.

It was Muss :lol:

Do you really think most BSC coaches know "nothing" about UND at this point? Maybe that was true when UND applied for membership, but fall camp is weeks away now. Coaches are control freaks. I would bet the head coach of most of the teams in the conference had an assistant put together a dossier on UND in the off season. They aren't gonna wait until game week to learn something about the program.

I am sure they saw the highlights from our NAIA games and took that for what its worth. Plus our games against USD, and UNC and saw us come back from those (along with Sioux Falls). Why else would these coaches put us towards the bottom.

I am sure they saw the highlights from our NAIA games and took that for what its worth. Plus our games against USD, and UNC and saw us come back from those (along with Sioux Falls). Why else would these coaches put us towards the bottom.

Yeah, if I was a Big Sky coach and saw film of UND last year against Northern Colorado, Sioux Falls, and UC Davis, I would probably vote into the bottom half also. They certainly were "W's" but they weren't impressive wins by any means. When the top Big Sky teams from a year ago (Montana State and Montana) played the bottom feeders (UNC and Idaho St.) last year, they won by a large margin (exception being 10 pts when MSU played @ UNC).

Yeah, if I was a Big Sky coach and saw film of UND last year against Northern Colorado, Sioux Falls, and UC Davis, I would probably vote into the bottom half also. They certainly were "W's" but they weren't impressive wins by any means. When the top Big Sky teams from a year ago (Montana State and Montana) played the bottom feeders (UNC and Idaho St.) last year, they won by a large margin (exception being 10 pts when MSU played @ UNC).

All true. However, we also did beat Sorenson-led SUU in Cedar City last year, the same team that beat up on UNLV.

They must not have seen the film on that game. ;)

All true. However, we also did beat Sorenson-led SUU in Cedar City last year, the same team that beat up on UNLV.

Good Point. I am kind of thinking that I like where they placed us. I believe that we are a much better team, but at this stage in the game I would rather be thought of as the underdog; maybe sneak up and surprise any teams that look down on us. cough cough Sac State.

Or they just assumed since SUU is incapable of beating Dakota schools since they went "Oh fer" last season in 3 games.

The coaches didn't give SUU much more love; they voted them 8th. All in all, it's just a preseason poll that ultimately won't be the same as the final conference standings. I'm gonna make my bold prediction of the day and say Montana State will not finish first in the conference this season. On paper they are the best team, and I agree with that, but I also feel they will have a target on their back all season and will lose one more game than people expect. For instance, last season SUU was ranked the favorite in the Great West - how'd that turn out for them? Too many variables to accurately predict the standings. Of course, that's why they play the games and I don't think Montana and Portland State know how tough it is to play in the Al. Just ask Cal Poly (2009)....

• Upvote 1

The coaches didn't give SUU much more love; they voted them 8th. All in all, it's just a preseason poll that ultimately won't be the same as the final conference standings. I'm gonna make my bold prediction of the day and say Montana State will not finish first in the conference this season. On paper they are the best team, and I agree with that, but I also feel they will have a target on their back all season and will lose one more game than people expect. For instance, last season SUU was ranked the favorite in the Great West - how'd that turn out for them? Too many variables to accurately predict the standings. Of course, that's why they play the games and I don't think Montana and Portland State know how tough it is to play in the Al. Just ask Cal Poly (2009)....

Montana opens their road games at App State. They know a tough venue. They also played at Tennessee last season. If they are prepared for some solid noise, they will be just fine.

Montana opens their road games at App State. They know a tough venue. They also played at Tennessee last season. If they are prepared for some solid noise, they will be just fine.

There is no question Montana has played in louder, larger environments than the Alerus Center - it would be foolish to assume otherwise. My previous statement was largely based on the preseason conference coaches poll; thus, I believe Montana and Portland State (and whoever else decided UND was worthy of a 10th place spot) are underestimating UND's ability at home. After this season, UND will get their proper respect because the previously mentioned schools will be playing in the Alerus for the first time. Ultimately, UND won't be voted that low by the coaches very often in the future.

• Upvote 2

The Big Sky's associate commissioner was on with Dom Izzo on WDAY tonight. When asked about any potential surprise teams in the conference this year he mentioned North Dakota and Cal Poly as his sleepers.................

Yep and on Flagstaff's news affiliate he picked Northern Arizona and Cal Poly as sleepers.

• Upvote 3