SiouxSports.com Forum

So.......would you guys swap Muss for Lennon?

WYOBISONMAN

It looks like Lennon aka The Stache is in trouble at SIU. There are a lot of fans calling for his head. I am rather shocked that he has not been able to do more there. Lennon is a top notch coach.

Soooo.......the question is ......... If Lennon is available, should UND throw Muss to the dogs if UND can get Lennon back?

• Upvote 1

go away.. troll

Hey buckshot......I hate to make you cry......but I am not going anywhere. If you don't think UND fans are split on Muss......you better wake the hell up and smell the coffee.....

Hell, Bison fans are still debating whether the Bison are performing well because of Vigen (OC) or in spite of him. It would seem to me given the lack luster performance in the recent game against another NAIA opponent that fans would want to discuss this.

I'm not particulary still pining for Lennon today, irrespective of SIU's struggles -- like Joe Gibbs, you can't go home again. Coaching is a lot more than X's and O's, Lennon's success at UND was a product of the time (his experience to date, the recruits, the program's position and reputation, etc...). There's no particular reason to think he would duplicate that success at UND today.

I've always wished he hadn't left when he did. The timing was particularly tough to swallow, given how much of a driving force he was behind the D-I move. I do think the program would have struggled less with the continuity of his staying, but that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 2

Given their record in 2010 and 2011, I can understand why SIU fans are upset. But it's so ridiculous that some seem to want to point to the fact that Lennon's success was "only" at the dII level, considering their hero Jerry Kill also came from dII--and had nowhere near the success Lennon did.

I have no idea what the problem is right now at SIU, but there is absolutely no question that Lennon and staff are good coaches, and even if by chance they are let go at SIU, they would all find other jobs quickly. I don't believe it would be here, though.

Given their record in 2010 and 2011, I can understand why SIU fans are upset. But it's so ridiculous that some seem to want to point to the fact that Lennon's success was "only" at the dII level, considering their hero Jerry Kill also came from dII--and had nowhere near the success Lennon did.

I have no idea what the problem is right now at SIU, but there is absolutely no question that Lennon and staff are good coaches, and even if by chance they are let go at SIU, they would all find other jobs quickly. I don't believe it would be here, though.

Kill's players graduated.

I highly doubt it's really that simple. Lennon can recruit, there's little question about that.

Recruiting in North Dakota and Minnesota is different than recruiting in Southern Illinois, a lot more schools for them to compete with down there, probably a little different in the approach to getting kids to come.

It just seems rather odd that once Kill's guys were gone...this SIU team quit winning.

Lennon would restore "buzz" to the program.

I think Mussman's true test was handed to him by UC-Davis on Saturday when UCD beat Cal Poly: If Muss' team can win out they share a piece of the GW title and he has some real credibility going into the Big Sky. If they lose out, Muss is in trouble.

One more notion:

I heard too much "6th win" talk from the coaches and team this weekend. Yes, that's an important goal (winning season), but it almost felt like a pre-emptive strike against criticism in case the rest of the season doesn't go so well.

This UND team has a shot at a share of a Great West title. UC-Davis is coming off an emotional win and will look at UND as a team that just barely squeeked out wins at UNC and against a transitional DII. UC-Davis can't win a title (already have two losses). Davis is primed for the picking the way I see it.

Will Mussman see it the same way and have the team ready?

Just reminder, Mussman was extended through 2012 a couple years ago. Should be able to judge Faison's viewpoint of things if Mussman goes into 2012 without an extension.

http://www.fightings...&ATCLID=3632424

Faison has non-renewed a coach before.

http://newmexicostat...m/2/322841.html

And the coach that replaced the one Faison didn't renew went 11-38 over the next 4 years and was also let go by NMSU. So, it's not an automatic fix like some people here think. There was sentiment in Fargo a few years ago from a lot of people that Bohl needed to go. How's that looking today?

Just reminder, Mussman was extended through 2012 a couple years ago. Should be able to judge Faison's viewpoint of things if Mussman goes into 2012 without an extension.

http://www.fightings...&ATCLID=3632424

Faison has non-renewed a coach before.

http://newmexicostat...m/2/322841.html

I think they will let Mussman do at least 1 year in the Big Sky and measure where we are. If we are in the cellar with UNC he would be gone, if we are in the middle I think Faison will give Muss one more year, and if we are towards the top or win the conference...I think Muss will get a re-newal.

I'm also in agreement. I heard way too much of the 6th win crud coming from both players and coaches coming into the game and after the game. I happen to feel that it was a smoke screen to gloss over a potential abysmal performance and then once that performance occurred- they already had it in place to use after said performance.

• Upvote 2

I think that if you look at this season objectively compared to last year, the one and only real improvement so far is that we beat SUU, and therefore are guaranteed not to finish winless in the Great West. If by chance we lose out, the 6-5 record really means very little considering last year's schedule was far more difficult (included just one non-dI opponent) and we lost our starting quarterback with four games left. That's why I believe that the last two games will ultimately determine whether the 2011 season should be considered a substantial improvement over 2010. Win two, and it's a huge improvement. Win one, and it's somewhat of an improvement. Lose both, and the improvement is fairly negligible IMO.

I think that if you look at this season objectively compared to last year, the one and only real improvement so far is that we beat SUU, and therefore are guaranteed not to finish winless in the Great West. If by chance we lose out, the 6-5 record really means very little considering last year's schedule was far more difficult (included just one non-dI opponent) and we lost our starting quarterback with four games left. That's why I believe that the last two games will ultimately determine whether the 2011 season should be considered a substantial improvement over 2010. Win two, and it's a huge improvement. Win one, and it's somewhat of an improvement. Lose both, and the improvement is fairly negligible IMO.

I can agree with this. Very well laid out.

Hey buckshot......I hate to make you cry......but I am not going anywhere. If you don't think UND fans are split on Muss......you better wake the hell up and smell the coffee.....

Hell, Bison fans are still debating whether the Bison are performing well because of Vigen (OC) or in spite of him. It would seem to me given the lack luster performance in the recent game against another NAIA opponent that fans would want to discuss this.

Really - you have so little going on in your life, so little other things of interest to you that you spend time every day on a fan site for a team that you don't support and have no connection with? That's just sad.

Really - you have so little going on in your life, so little other things of interest to you that you spend time every day on a fan site for a team that you don't support and have no connection with? That's just sad.

I don't know what your problem is CM. WYO is the least trollish out of the Herd fans. All he wanted to know was what about bringing Lennon back if an opportunity to get him again presented itself. Do you think fans of schools don't keep tabs on other schools? Especially ones near the school they support?

I'd give Muss a year at least in the Sky. If Faison was going to fire him, after last season would have been the time to do it. Unless they completely tank the last couple of games. Then he should be gone.

While not a UND backer by any means, I would like seeing the "order" of the Big Sky messed up and the Montanas having to contend with another solid program.

• Upvote 2

In one of the oddest moments I have seen in a press conference,

I was watching Mussman's postgame interview on fightsioux.com after the win versus U of Sioux Falls,

A reporter asked why he thinks this team seems to play better on the road than at home..

Muss said on the road everything is scheduled and its about football all the time. While at home,

He said well basically...He worries about it being Friday night...implied that they might be doing "stupid things.....cause he said:

not that they are doing stupid things, but they live with college students and there is a lot of distractions.

He basically stopped short (caught himself) of implying they might be out getting drunk/partying on Friday nights. My opinion.

And then later didn't understand why his players weren't motivated for the game...It was "shocking." He thought his players would be too anxious....

but hey 18-22 year olds you never know what's going on in their heads.

http://www.fightings...DB_OEM_ID=13500 click post game on the left.

It looks like Lennon aka The Stache is in trouble at SIU. There are a lot of fans calling for his head. I am rather shocked that he has not been able to do more there. Lennon is a top notch coach.

Soooo.......the question is ......... If Lennon is available, should UND throw Muss to the dogs if UND can get Lennon back?

In a heartbeat.