SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux invade Mary-ucci arena.

Goon

I'm digging the maroon suit out of the closet and heading down to Meccaucci to watch Saturday's game. This weekend will come down to goaltending. Can UND find back one of their goaltenders from season's past, or will this years tandem show up. Can Patterson continue to bail the freshmen D out for the U? Or will he continue the proud Frazee, Kangas, Briggs tradition?

I'm excited this year because its the first time in a long time that I honestly believe UND doesn't have the players to beat up on the Gophers like in years past.

My prediction; Gophers sweep. Friday night thanks to the special teams as UND tries to assert itself as the more physical team and takes too many penalties. Saturday night a closely contested one or two goal game.

The Gophers will lose if they continue to take stupid penalties like they did vs Vermont. The Gophers need to keep the PIM's to a minimum and ride their hot hot hot powerplay to success.

I'm digging the maroon suit out of the closet and heading down to Meccaucci to watch Saturday's game. This weekend will come down to goaltending. Can UND find back one of their goaltenders from season's past, or will this years tandem show up. Can Patterson continue to bail the freshmen D out for the U? Or will he continue the proud Frazee, Kangas, Briggs tradition?

I'm excited this year because its the first time in a long time that I honestly believe UND doesn't have the players to beat up on the Gophers like in years past.

My prediction; Gophers sweep. Friday night thanks to the special teams as UND tries to assert itself as the more physical team and takes too many penalties. Saturday night a closely contested one or two goal game.

The Gophers will lose if they continue to take stupid penalties like they did vs Vermont. The Gophers need to keep the PIM's to a minimum and ride their hot hot hot powerplay to success.

And which team averages more penalty minutes?

I'll give you a hint. It's not the Sioux.

Try again.

And which team averages more penalty minutes?

I'll give you a hint. It's not the Sioux.

First time for everything. ;)

(and before your toss a nut I don't care if this is the first year or not. Learn to have fun with the rivalry or stop being a fan. This is supposed to be about fun. I love this weekend not because of hate but because this is the best friggin weekend of hockey on the planet)

Learn to have fun with the rivalry or stop being a fan. This is supposed to be about fun.

If only some of your fellow Gopher fans on GPL heeded your advice as well. :)

I roamed over to GPL last night and laughed at some of the comments. It appears that we are still the Goon Halos and the Gophers never instigate anything. ;)

It seems the roles are reversed from prior years...Gopher fans are very confident and the Sioux are the underdogs for the first time in a while. And to be honest, I think the confidence from the Gopher camp is warranted. They have played very well thus far, and their special teams have been stellar. Patterson has played well. Special teams and goaltending have not been UND's strong suit this year, which doesn't make for a confident fanbase.

I think if the Kristo line can net a couple and Grimaldi is given more time/space on the big ice...and IF the goaltending can get a couple big saves that have been lacking recently...the Sioux could steal a few points. Otherwise I think we might be looking at getting swept once again on the road, unfortunately.

Here's hoping that the Sioux prove me wrong. :) Go Sioux!!

(and before your toss a nut I don't care if this is the first year or not. Learn to have fun with the rivalry or stop being a fan. This is supposed to be about fun. I love this weekend not because of hate but because this is the best friggin weekend of hockey on the planet)

Wow! Nice language and for someone that is always commenting on people's grammar, fixed your post for you. You might want to take your own advise.

Edited by Goon

I also took a look on GPL recently. All I can say is WOW! 90% of those posters need some good psychological help! There are some great posters who come over here though, and I appreciate your opinions on the enemy.

One thing I am really sick of is the ripping on ND and Grand Forks. Some of the posts on GPL reference this, and Goon's blog post about Handyman really captures what I am talking about. It is getting old, and really, there is no difference between GF and a suburb in the metro area. For professional sports, occasional concerts, it is an easy trip to the cities to take those in, so Nodaks aren't really missing out on that much, you Minnesotans should appreciate that, as it is stimulating your economy. Yep, it is flat here, which allows us to grow many many crops and make a lot of money feeding the world. We like it in ND, you like it in the Metro area. To each their own. I could easily come up with a top ten list of reasons I won't ever move back to the Twin Cities neck of the woods, but I won't, as that would be hypocritical.

• Upvote 2

I also took a look on GPL recently. All I can say is WOW! 90% of those posters need some good psychological help! There are some great posters who come over here though, and I appreciate your opinions on the enemy.

One thing I am really sick of is the ripping on ND and Grand Forks. Some of the posts on GPL reference this, and Goon's blog post about Handyman really captures what I am talking about. It is getting old, and really, there is no difference between GF and a suburb in the metro area. For professional sports, occasional concerts, it is an easy trip to the cities to take those in, so Nodaks aren't really missing out on that much, you Minnesotans should appreciate that, as it is stimulating your economy. Yep, it is flat here, which allows us to grow many many crops and make a lot of money feeding the world. We like it in ND, you like it in the Metro area. To each their own. I could easily come up with a top ten list of reasons I won't ever move back to the Twin Cities neck of the woods, but I won't, as that would be hypocritical.

Exactly, I like how people on that message board will slam ND and call us a bunch of mouth breathing, knuckle dragging Nethanderals, when most of the residents of Minnesota outside of the all-mighty metro area people resemble us more than the Metro Folks.

What is also funny is the same people slamming ND and calling it a back water state are probably dragging their boats over here during the first weekend in October to hunt the many Ducks that North Dakota harbors, albeit screwing up our hunts as well. This is why many of us call this the annual "MN Duck Boat Parade" or blue plate syndrome. This is also the reason much of the hunting land is posted by the end of the month of October.

Edited by Goon

As a Gopher fan, nothing insults me more than the ND jokes. I live in ND, grew up in NW MN, and lived in the Cities for 4 years in my mid-20s. Besides being able to go to sporting events, those 4 years living in the Cities sucked a**!

Any Gopher fan who is overconfident whatsoever about going into this weekend needs a head examination. I take you back to the past three years, and also a Sunday afternoon game against Vermont not too long ago. I hope I'm wrong but I see the Sioux getting at least two points. The smack seems to be even more nasty this year than ever, let's hope it settles down a bit and we can enjoy some good friggen hockey this weekend.

• Upvote 4

You'd think the Gopher fans would have a better realization that, that is what it has been like for the past few seasons now considering they've visited Grand Forks far more than we have visited the Mooch in the past few seasons. (albeit part of the reason is because Minnesota played us in the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs in Grand Forks)

the weird thing is that they haven't followed that system that was said. 11 of the last 15 games between the teams have been in Grand Forks, take away the three from the playoffs thats still 8 of the last 12. There was a couple years where they played one series in Grand Forks and none in Minneapolis

Yeah, haha.. I've read those quotes about beet farmers, pregnant waitresses drinking shots, etc.. I wonder if those GPLers consider North Minneapolis, parts of St.Paul, Phillips Neighborhood, etc...to be a part of Minnesota or Minneapolis??? True, there isn't beet farming going on in those neighborhoods like in North Dakota/GF but ..... I doubt they claim those areas as their own either.

For the record, I live in North Mpls.

the weird thing is that they haven't followed that system that was said. 11 of the last 15 games between the teams have been in Grand Forks, take away the three from the playoffs thats still 8 of the last 12. There was a couple years where they played one series in Grand Forks and none in Minneapolis

The WCHA expanding to 12 teams last year probably messed that up a bit.

Don't even tell me to stop being a fan. That is just rude. My apologies for stating a FACT.

Don't even tell me to stop being a fan. That is just rude. My apologies for stating a FACT.

I'm sorry, but from what I have seen of you on here you're by far the most rude person on the site. So I don't think you should be calling other people rude for any reason.

Yeah, haha.. I've read those quotes about beet farmers, pregnant waitresses drinking shots, etc.. I wonder if those GPLers consider North Minneapolis, parts of St.Paul, Phillips Neighborhood, etc...to be a part of Minnesota or Minneapolis??? True, there isn't beet farming going on in those neighborhoods like in North Dakota/GF but ..... I doubt they claim those areas as their own either.

For the record, I live in North Mpls.

don't forget the good old 763

I don't care to rip on ND in general (not to say it's never happened, this is a rivalry) but fans lay it on thick in both directions.

And Goon, that was not a grammatical error that was typo. No one but you would confuse someone writing, "before your toss" for "before you're toss" instead of the obvious, "before you toss". :);)

I love goof weekend! Love the hockey and love the intensity, as long as it stays civil. As to the goof fans resorting to ripping on ND, it only speaks to their lack of creativity. Born and raised ND, now back and won't leave (though a little break during the long winter never hurt)... But really which state would you want to be from? The one thriving in this down economy or the one that's broke and resorts to shutdowns? My favorite sign from last years series... Your states broke. Haha.

I love goof weekend! Love the hockey and love the intensity, as long as it stays civil. As to the goof fans resorting to ripping on ND, it only speaks to their lack of creativity. Born and raised ND, now back and won't leave (though a little break during the long winter never hurt)... But really which state would you want to be from? The one thriving in this down economy or the one that's broke and resorts to shutdowns? My favorite sign from last years series... Your states broke. Haha.

Target > Halliburton

I don't care to rip on ND in general (not to say it's never happened, this is a rivalry) but fans lay it on thick in both directions.

And Goon, that was not a grammatical error that was typo. No one but you would confuse someone writing, "before your toss" for "before you're toss" instead of the obvious, "before you toss". :);)

No! That can't be!!! Who would have thunk?