SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux invade Mary-ucci arena.

Goon

I honestly can't believe that someone hasn't started this thread yet. The Series that many fans mark on their calender...

The Fighting Sioux are (3-4-1, 1-3 WCHA). The Gophers (7-1-0, 4-0-0 WCHA) are brimming with confidence after dispatching the UAA Seawolves 5-0 and 3-1 to sweep UAA. I have read where some fans seem to think that UND has no chance to win a game in this series and that the Sioux will be run out of the building by the mighty Gophers. I did some something simular to that on the Chat the other night.

Some fans seem to "believe" that the Fighting Sioux don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against the mighty Golden Gophers. You can through records out the door during this series.

I think it's time for the Fighting Sioux to slap that Gopher ass around... Crosses Fingers.

I am with you on that one. Yes I know they beat the defending champion's which was they're toughest opponent so far this and putting up huge points. Them allowing teams to shot a lot and patterson stopping is coming to end this weekend. Statement weekend for the Sioux coming up. Hope the Gophers r ready for a battle

• Upvote 1

I am with you on that one. Yes I know they beat the defending champion's which was they're toughest opponent so far this and putting up huge points. Them allowing teams to shot a lot and patterson stopping is coming to end this weekend. Statement weekend for the Sioux coming up. Hope the Gophers r ready for a battle

I almost hate to write this but a split this weekend is a must.

Goon said it best when he said you can throw records out for this series, its been like that for a long time. Siouxforce...no gopher fans literally think your cellar dwellers and a "bye week." You're a tool bag fan for even saying that. I believe this series is a split, Minnesota wins friday and North Dakota wins saturday. This could be a turning point to the slow start for UND as well if they can perform well and start hitting the back of the net. Starting out quick and scoring fast is key for UND to set the tempo. North Dakota struggled defensively on the big ice in Madison, so I guess we'll see if they can correct that problem in the slightly larger Mariucci ice sheet.

I think both games will be very close. I'll only be able to see Fridays game due to my Crimson Tide playing LSU in the real football national championship saturday night.

Both games will be a blast this weekend! Hope everyone has fun watching!

I worry a bit about how the defense has struggled, and of course about the size of the rink. Now when you turn the puck over in your own end you're turning it over in addition to giving the offensive team 15 extra feet in which to work. It works for both teams, and guys like Kristo and Grimaldi truly will shine with the extra space, but the way the Sioux have played in their own end just worries the heck out of me in this series.

Five Keys:

~Special teams....don't spend too much time killing penalties.

~Aaron Dell. Needs to play like an All-American this weekend.

~The defensive end....no stupid turnovers.

~Limit Kyle Rau's line

~Greasy goals.....need at least two both nights, and need to get in the face of Patterson. If he sees it he'll likely stop it.

Should be another great Sioux vs Gopher series. I think the Gophers are the better team "right now" but that by no means makes me think the Gophers will run the Sioux out of the cities, when these two teams play "the record books can be thrown out the window". Have not really seen the Sioux in action much, did catch the Friday night game vs UW last Friday. Just hoping this deal with DirecTV gets solved so the games I'll be able to catch the games from the local watering hole.

Just a little warning for those coming to the cities for the games, the streets by Sally's and Stub and Herbs are all tore up for the light rail so traffic getting in and out is pretty hectic.

Goon said it best when he said you can throw records out for this series, its been like that for a long time. Siouxforce...no gopher fans literally think your cellar dwellers and a "bye week." You're a tool bag fan for even saying that. I believe this series is a split, Minnesota wins friday and North Dakota wins saturday. This could be a turning point to the slow start for UND as well if they can perform well and start hitting the back of the net. Starting out quick and scoring fast is key for UND to set the tempo. North Dakota struggled defensively on the big ice in Madison, so I guess we'll see if they can correct that problem in the slightly larger Mariucci ice sheet.

I think both games will be very close. I'll only be able to see Fridays game due to my Crimson Tide playing LSU in the real football national championship saturday night.

Both games will be a blast this weekend! Hope everyone has fun watching!

I'M A TOOLBAG? Ha. That's funny. I didn't realize one can be a toolbag for repeating what's been said. It's called sarcasm bud.

Time to see what the Sioux (and the Gophers) are made of. Gophers have made a killing this season on the Sacred Heart's and Vermont's of the world, while the Sioux have struggled and showed their youth. I am hoping that UND can leave this weekend with at least a split, anything more than that would be gravy...but I don't see it happening. UMN is brimming with confidence and is playing very well offensively right now. Rau is the real deal and is walking away with the WCHA ROtY at this point. Bjugstad looks improved. It will be a challenge for the Sioux...hopefully they can bring the Gophers down to earth a bit!

Time to see what the Sioux (and the Gophers) are made of. Gophers have made a killing this season on the Sacred Heart's and Vermont's of the world, while the Sioux have struggled and showed their youth. I am hoping that UND can leave this weekend with at least a split, anything more than that would be gravy...but I don't see it happening. UMN is brimming with confidence and is playing very well offensively right now. Rau is the real deal and is walking away with the WCHA ROtY at this point. Bjugstad looks improved. It will be a challenge for the Sioux...hopefully they can bring the Gophers down to earth a bit!

I think that once Grimaldi gets on a line and develops some chemistry with someone I think you will see his points total pick up. Rau could tail off a bit as well. Teams watch film and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of attention this weekend the rest of the way out from here. I don't know if anyone noticed but Vermont played "Sioux hockey" the second game of the series against the Gophers and took it to them. I see UND doing that as well against the Gophers.

This was the kind of set-up that used to be so much fun to watch and listen to when FSN had Doug and Frank doing the games. When the Sioux supposedly had no chance against the Golden Chosen and then MIRACLE, they did! Of course, they did lose a few of those , too. I miss those 2 guys (sigh).

Its kind of unfortunate that Grimaldi is injured because the way that things sit right now Rau is the league ROY. Grimaldi would have to have an unreal finish to the season to catch Rau, and playing hurt doesn't really make that a possibility.

I knew Rau was a good player, but the start that he is off to has been fun to watch. Hopefully the Sioux find a way to limit his chances this weekend.

Friday is on FSN and Saturday is on B10

And for those that have DirecTV, you will be sitting in a bar, hovered on the internet or listening to the game on the radio. I will probably be in the Webster Bar or on my deck at the hunting shack listening to the game.

This series marks the first time in a LONG time that UND goes into this series as the underdog. I like coming in under the radar. Gopher fans haven't had a lot to cheer for in the past what, 5 years or so, so I don't blame some of their fanbase for being so excited about their start. Remember though, gopher fans, banners aren't hung in October. I think these 2 teams are closer than the current records indicate. UMN-TC has played some bad competition, but dispatched of them quite easily, and UND has outplayed teams at times, and lost. I wish I could make it this year, but it wasn't in the cards, those of you who are there, cheer loud!

This series, on big ice, revolves around 2 Sioux IMO...Forbort and Simpson. Both are draft picks that have looked awful thru 8 games...esp. Forbort. On a bigger sheet of ice if those two play like they have so far UND will be hard pressed to get points. Mattson is a stud. Blood is a beast. Panz has suprised me. Mac has been solid.

Thought Dell looked good vs. SCSU. 2 of 3 goals Friday were redirects.

If we had any depth at forward, this would be the series to play Gleason at D. Too thin at forward with injuries though.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Rocco centering Parks and MacMillan and watch those 3 young guys go.

Also wouldn't be suprised if Kristo was the best player on the ice both nights.

UND needs points...2 would be great. More than that would be a huge bonus.

Thanks to the technology of DISH TV will get to watch games in our hunting cabing along the Little Missouri river west of Amidon, ND. Smallest county seat in nation for you trivia buffs.

This series marks the first time in a LONG time that UND goes into this series as the underdog. I like coming in under the radar. Gopher fans haven't had a lot to cheer for in the past what, 5 years or so, so I don't blame some of their fanbase for being so excited about their start. Remember though, gopher fans, banners aren't hung in October. I think these 2 teams are closer than the current records indicate. UMN-TC has played some bad competition, but dispatched of them quite easily, and UND has outplayed teams at times, and lost. I wish I could make it this year, but it wasn't in the cards, those of you who are there, cheer loud!

We know that, we're not SCSU fans :) . But the fact that this team is doing pretty well so far for being so young is pretty promising. The "D" still needs some work but with Guentzel back (I'm still jumping up and down that Hill is finally gone) things can only get better as the season goes along in that aspect as well. No one is looking past UND though, that is for sure, but like you said this is the first year in probably 3-4 years where things have actually been looking up!

but like you said this is the first year in probably 3-4 years where things have actually been looking up!

No it's not, remember the first year we missed the NCAA tournament. We were ranked #1 in the country from the start of the season all the way into a few weeks of the 2nd half of the season and then miraculously collapsed to miss the tourney. Things were looking up and then, BAM!! Ultimate b!tch slap!

The hot start for the Gophers and slow start for UND on paper indicates things are working in the Gophers favor, but sometimes a team needs a few games to start finding themselves and obviously UND is going to be mentally up for this. Gophers need to continue to execute on the PP and PK and continue to limit shots to the outside. UND needs better goaltending and to find some puck luck as it sounds like they've dominated play at times but haven't been able to bury the puck. I'd love to say I expect a sweep but I honestly can't.