SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Last night's updates are sending this in a different direction. 

Reports are that although Notre Dame is pulling for them to be admitted, and there are still discussions ongoing, Cal and Stanford are longshots to be admitted into the ACC.

Which is the most likely scenario?

• Pac-4 join the MWC (or some sort of conference merger)
  • Pac-4 join the AAC
  •  Pac-4 try to rebuild the conference slowly*

That last one is what I'm worried about. Pick the top 2 or 4 from the AAC short-term. Then wait it out for the Top of the MWC. 

I'm just so confused from the ACC perspective. It seems incredibly short-sided. Travel would be awful for Stanford / Cal. For the ACC schools, you're talking ONE West Coast Road trip per sport per year. It's like they didn't just see what happened to the PAC. 

• Upvote 1

The hot take I'm hearing is SMU is getting a serious look by the ACC. It makes more sense than SMU to PACx. ACC gets DFW; SMU gets P conference. And if ACC gets plucked later they're already ready.

Supposedly SMU has said they'd forego a share for five years! They have donors lined up. SMU must've saved all their "NIL money" since the Eric Dickerson and Craig James era. 

SMU: ... at the forefront of "NIL" since 1982 .... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chip Kelly suggests all 64 power 5 schools go independent and play for a championship and 64 sub power 5 schools go independent and play for their championship. Seems like the rest can do as they are doing. 
Interesting concept. It would affect traditional conference rivalries but that is already being done as teams realign to different conferences. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Supposedly SMU has said they'd forego a share for five years! They have donors lined up. SMU must've saved all their "NIL money" since the Eric Dickerson and Craig James era. 

SMU: ... at the forefront of "NIL" since 1982 .... 

Would have thought Eric could have ditched the Rec Specs for contacts while at SMU

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Chip Kelly suggests all 64 power 5 schools go independent and play for a championship and 64 sub power 5 schools go independent and play for their championship. Seems like the rest can do as they are doing. 
Interesting concept. It would affect traditional conference rivalries but that is already being done as teams realign to different conferences. 

I've been predicting this for several years now. The P5 and G5 schools are classified as FBS, but they have little else in common.

• Upvote 2

On 8/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you kinda spoke out both sides of your mouth tho by saying Sik is right on SDSU but not right on NDSU....his numbers don't lie. one could say with title 9 NDAC might be last in pecking order for FBS of the dak4

i agree about idaho...they were FBS for years until.........conference realighntment

NDSU has the funding opportunities and the donors to pay for FBS. Of all the Dakota schools they have much more support to make the move. I agree NDSU would have to add a women’s sport but that isn’t stopping them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

NDSU has the funding opportunities and the donors to pay for FBS. Of all the Dakota schools they have much more support to make the move. I agree NDSU would have to add a women’s sport but that isn’t stopping them.

doesn't und have the highest budget of the dak4?

• Upvote 1

I find it ironic that the NCAA and all of the member institutions that are supposedly so in tune with mental health and the wellness of the student athlete, have no problem making it that much more difficult for the student athlete with more travel and therefore more strain on a person's sleep and health, all in the name of the almighty buck.   Of course hypocrisy and the NCAA go hand in hand.   Where will this all end?

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

doesn't und have the highest budget of the dak4?

Yeah but NDSU can afford to fund a higher FBS budget. UND is about maxed out. We don’t have a non profit paying some of the bills. Take away hockey spending and our budgets are similar to except we rely on student fees and state funding more

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah but NDSU can afford to fund a higher FBS budget. UND is about maxed out. We don’t have a non profit paying some of the bills. Take away hockey spending and our budgets are similar to except we rely on student fees and state funding more

Yet NDSU was the one who needed a state bailout for athletics.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maxed out is NDSU’s football and team makers prices. 

On 8/10/2023 at 6:05 AM, AJS said:

•  Pac-4 try to rebuild the conference slowly*

That last one is what I'm worried about. Pick the top 2 or 4 from the AAC short-term. Then wait it out for the Top of the MWC. 

Is this the direction it appears they are heading down? Where I'm at a loss for this, does anyone outside of the Pac-4, MW, AAC think they could put together any combination of teams and it would be a "Power" conference?