Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

Recommended Posts

An article on Tulsa U, which is spending $10’s of millions for athletics above what it takes in at the expense of academics.  Granted it has more that a billion $s in endowment funds, but the U has made major cuts in cultural and liberal arts majors, while emphasizing major that have higher paying positions upon graduating (engineering, health sciences) but within a social justice warrior framework.  Emotional support animals, dogs and even horses, are common fare in class. 

https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa

Hope and pray UND is not going down that course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One poster on another board is claiming that Bellarmine is talking to another conference, as the ASun won’t necessarily go through the addition.  Could it be the Horizon, which likely wants keep it quiet?  The ASun would dramatically increased travel while the Horizon would not be much worse than the GLVC, and Bellarmine is the easternmost school in that conference.  Years ago, the GLVC didn’t have teams west of St Louis, and now it’s centered there.

If it is, the Horizon likes big metro regions schools without football.  Fort Wayne (CSA pop of 630 k) and Louisville (MSA pop of 1.2 mill) fit that bill.  Detroit Mercy is the only private school now, and must be pushing for another private to replace Valpo and Loyola Chi.

NKU was a slam dunk addition for the Horizon, and Louisville maybe has just as rapid basketball fans as Cincinnati.  Bellarmine could play in other venues in Louisville that U of Louisville left.  Bellarmine’s on campus facility only seats 2500.

The OVC can take them too, but why did the OVC change their tournament location to Evansville, the home of USI? USI poured ~$50 mill into their remodeled arena and Evansville also has the much larger Ford Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article says Bellarmine, Indianapolis U, and USI are all rumored as new DI teams.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/2019/04/22/if-rival-bellarmine-goes-division-i-where-would-leave-usi/3538391002/

if the Summit can’t get one or two, PUFW is gone and a western strategy would need to be pursued.  PUFW used to be a DII conference rival of all three.

Would say PUFW and Bellarmine go to the Horizon, as it loves metro areas.  The Horizon already has IUPUI, so no go for Indianapolis. 

USI and Indianapolis go to the OVC, in a staggered fashion, once Murray St goes to the MVC.  Western Illinois probably goes there too after a year or two, as the OVC willl need more FCS schools.  Evansville’s big Ford Center was made the OVC tournament site and soon it could be in the center of the OVC, providing Jacksonville St leaves.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like SV is working the Egriz board.

 

The Summit League will be calling

  •  

Post by UNDfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

And the Montanas, Idaho, EWU and Weber St will accept.

The Summit League commish has confirmed that PFW and W Illinois are about to leave.

https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/mar ... ction-yet/

A western Summit division of the Montanas, Idaho, EWU, Weber St and Denver would be so much better than the Big sigh academically, athletically, with research and professional schools, and with actual fan bases. But naturally, Griz fans will be so scared of actual competition that even the hots the Griz fans have for the Bison fb team won’t be enough.

The east division will be Omaha, USD, Augustana, SDSU, NDSU and UND with three flights getting all the schools. Better than what you have in the Big Sigh.

California and Oregon schools have never panned out as you planned. Remember Northridge St that was going to be an FCS power with unlimited potential in the LA media and bring Griz action to untold millions? The same thing happened with Portland St and Sac St as far as fan interest.

The new Summit will be FCS first but FBS is possible by 2025.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Looks like SV is working the Egriz board.

 

The Summit League will be calling

  •  

Post by UNDfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

And the Montanas, Idaho, EWU and Weber St will accept.

The Summit League commish has confirmed that PFW and W Illinois are about to leave.

https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/mar ... ction-yet/

A western Summit division of the Montanas, Idaho, EWU, Weber St and Denver would be so much better than the Big sigh academically, athletically, with research and professional schools, and with actual fan bases. But naturally, Griz fans will be so scared of actual competition that even the hots the Griz fans have for the Bison fb team won’t be enough.

The east division will be Omaha, USD, Augustana, SDSU, NDSU and UND with three flights getting all the schools. Better than what you have in the Big Sigh.

California and Oregon schools have never panned out as you planned. Remember Northridge St that was going to be an FCS power with unlimited potential in the LA media and bring Griz action to untold millions? The same thing happened with Portland St and Sac St as far as fan interest.

The new Summit will be FCS first but FBS is possible by 2025.

The Griz have only slightly bigger brains than the Bizon.

Only Weber St posters get it.  They are sick over Dixie St moving up with fb and want a better league.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NSIC, here comes St Thomas as planned by the St Thomas admin.

This is such a ridiculous take. It's so bizarre to think that other colleges would take the heat and negative press for STU UST on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

This is such a ridiculous take. It's so bizarre to think that other colleges would take the heat and negative press for STU UST on this.

The ridiculous take is that all the news is not fake, especially coming from campaigns, the government, and university Presidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So when the MIAC crumbles because of this.... they have no one to blame but themselves. 

With 12 schools remaining, the MIAC won’t crumble.  In fact, Macalester will come back for football.

No other MIAC school president will go on record, because they are doing a favor for UST, which needs to get its alumni behind a move up rather than staying DIII.  This is the perfect scenario, but it takes some lies and a gullible public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Reusse reports that the MIAC has 9 of the 13 votes needed to kick St Thomas out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Patrick_Reusse/status/1122868674799468546

 

Peruse the MIAC.
Seems one school does stand out across the array of athletics. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Intercollegiate_Athletic_Conference 

Can't beat 'em, boot 'em? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All schools need to be on board with this, right?  Can't see SJU voting to kick out their biggest rival.  So long alumni fan interest and donors.... goodbye exposure from playing St. Thomas every year and huge games played at Target Field and Allianz.  The only way UST leaves the MIAC is if St. Johns goes with, or UST just says screw it, and decides to move on regardless.  They aren't getting booted.  (Just my prediction, I may be wrong and I don't proclaim to know everything.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Griz have only slightly bigger brains than the Bizon.

Only Weber St posters get it.  They are sick over Dixie St moving up with fb and want a better league.

 

You have one hell of an imagination.

But please tell us , if you have this supposed divine vision ---WHY---  I repeat WHY have none of the thousands of your prognostications come to fruition????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

All schools need to be on board with this, right?  Can't see SJU voting to kick out their biggest rival.  So long alumni fan interest and donors.... goodbye exposure from playing St. Thomas every year and huge games played at Target Field and Allianz.  The only way UST leaves the MIAC is if St. Johns goes with, or UST just says screw it, and decides to move on regardless.  They aren't getting booted.  (Just my prediction, I may be wrong and I don't proclaim to know everything.)

Only 9 of 13 need to expel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bison73 said:

You have one hell of an imagination.

But please tell us , if you have this supposed divine vision ---WHY---  I repeat WHY have none of the thousands of your prognostications come to fruition????

And you don’t have any interest in changing members of the conference, changing conferences, or going FBS even for only NDSU, and by your own admission, know nothing.  So why are you here other than trolling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

And you don’t have any interest in changing members of the conference, changing conferences, or going FBS even for only NDSU, and by your own admission, know nothing.  So why are you here other than trolling. 

Not really.

 

But that has no bearing on your false prognostications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Only 9 of 13 need to expel.

Thanks.  Thought that was how many that were on board so far for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So St John’s gets the boot for being better than UST in FBs?

If the measuring stick is FB only, sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Thanks.  Thought that was how many that were on board so far for some reason.

Reusse's tweet said they had 9 of 13. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would the MIAC voting work when St John's is mens only and St Ben's and St Kate's are womens only?

Under a quick glance it's 13 schools: 5 Catholic, 8 Protestant; however, as noted above, three of those Catholic schools are men's/women's only. If everyone votes (13) and it takes 9 there's a Catholic block of 5 so the rest are capped at 8. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How would the MIAC voting work when St John's is mens only and St Ben's and St Kate's are womens only?

Under a quick glance it's 13 schools: 5 Catholic, 8 Protestant; however, as noted above, three of those Catholic schools are men's/women's only. If everyone votes (13) and it takes 9 there's a Catholic block of 5 so the rest are capped at 8. 

Strangely, new reports are that St Kate’s is for expulsion.  Since the St Thomas and St Kate’s are nearly sister schools, St Kate’s must be granting St Thomas its wish.  St Maty’s In Winona is also a women’s school with a vote, but it doesn’t have a male or coed counterpart.

Still maintain that St Thomas would have looked like Creighton or Loyola or even Marquette and DePaul athletically, if it had pursued DI years ago.  They sizes and endowments are all very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...