SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The University of North Dakota State with an athletic budget of $45 million would have been a top tier MWC player, and a fringe B12 candidate.  Oh what could have been.  If forming top universities in ND today, there would not be two.

Really? 

Really? 

In his defense, they should have put the land grant in Grand Forks at UND, similar to Nebraska since UND already existed and was established.  But ND liked to spread the love, so Jamestown got the mental hospital and Bismarck got the jail (side story, they could have made a push for UND, but the grocers association in Bismarck wasn't confident in UND being a good economic boost, and they figured there would always be prisoners to feed, so they pushed for the state prison), Devils Lake got the Deaf School, everyone got a college written into the constitution, etc.  In hind site, there were lots of mistakes made back then.  

• Upvote 1

So does the American back fill to stay with 11 or add 3 to go 12?  I presume they go after C-USA schools, but looking at that list of schools it doesn't look very attractive.

I think the American backfills with UTSA, or ODU, or NIU.  Some American schools would be so pissed at those teams, that they might leave:  like UConn to the Big East for BB and stick the FB with the MAC and UMass.  SMU and Houston could go to the MWC, as they really want the PAC12 anyway if the PAC12 moves to Texas.

If the MWC lost a team, it would look to Texas, with UTEP and someone else.  TCU graduated with honors from the MWC, and they were the only Texas team.

The University of North Dakota State with an athletic budget of $45 million would have been a top tier MWC player, and a fringe B12 candidate.  Oh what could have been.  If forming top universities in ND today, there would not be two.

Yes and no. If I could roll back the clock and "fix" things ... 

I-94 would be down the Highway 200 corridor. In that world UND would be in Mayville/Hillsboro (and those two would be Fargo/Grand Forks); NDSU would be in Washburn (and that would be Bismarck/Minot). The state would have those two universities and maybe a couple tech/trade schools. 

But, we live in the world we have. 

Yes and no. If I could roll back the clock and "fix" things ...

I-94 would be down the Highway 200 corridor. In that world UND would be in Mayville/Hillsboro (and those two would be Fargo/Grand Forks); NDSU would be in Washburn (and that would be Bismarck/Minot). The state would have those two universities and maybe a couple tech/trade schools.

Could Belfield have been Dickinson then?
  • Upvote 1

And Cooperstown would have been Lakota? And Beulah Stanley? Am I getting it?

Close: Cooperstown would be a metroplex of Valley City, Lakota, Finley, Sharon, Aneta, Hope, Luverne, ... and Sibley! :D

Note: The dominance of Pickert, ND, would remain untouched and unchallenged. 

• 3 months later...

For a good belly laugh, go to Bville, where they think FU has a good shot of Big 12 membership. Their reasoning is that ISU and KSU would support a fellow.land grant and have their football respect! If only the state of ND would get behind them and build a new campus near Wayzata. The MVC won't look at them but the Big 12 would!

Uh oh...it happening! Bison Big 12 bound....

http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/3714423-ndsu-heading-big-12-which-sport

NDSU is getting admitted to the Big 12 because they will loose their automatic qualifier of the NCAA's. I guess if UND had wrestling they too would be going to the Big 12. 

Maybe Douple should take notes on how to keep an autobid instead of having to apply for exemptions.

Also guessing that wrestling will now have to take priority over football and basketball in stipends if NDSU wants to remain competitive.  I believe scholarship limit is 10 in wrestling.  Since NDSU doesn't match dollar for dollar on Title IX, no clue how that translate on the women's side. 

Don't get your hopes up on your other sports going to the Big 12. Wrassling is more of a niche sport than hockey...brother. (HH voice)

NDSU wrassling will go big time with the B12. The Fargodome will sell out with triple headers: men's wrasslin, women's mud wrassling, followed by motocross and Big Wheels through the mud. Big new attraction that will put other college sports to shame.

Of course, Big 12 banners will be strung everywhere. Bville is already counting on that.

So, WWC schools in NDSU, South Dakota State, Wyoming, Air Force, Utah Valley and Northern Colorado are all joining the Big XII because it is losing schools and has not had a AQ for a couple of year.. ok got it nothing to see here.

Denial, she ain't just a river in Egypt, getting in the big 12 conference is a big deal in any sport, could you imagine how siouxvolley would spin this if it were und, you would be fbs by April 7th!

Denial, she ain't just a river in Egypt, getting in the big 12 conference is a big deal in any sport, could you imagine how siouxvolley would spin this if it were und, you would be fbs by April 7th!

Congratulations. To SDSU also.

Really! That would be the biggest mistake in the history of sports to turn down a big ten invite.

Actually, UND would bring some credibility to Big Ten hockey. Instead of a half empty Mariucci Arena their season ticket holders would start attending games again. The Kohl Center would fill up and each the other Big Ten schools would sell several thousand more tickets.

• Upvote 4