SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

So, what conference Does line up with Denver's sports? None, None, and None . . . So what difference does that make. Denver is not going to find a conference that lines up with its sports period. If hockey is it's most important sport, great. What conference has hockey? B1G, is the B1G going to add Denver? No

The most important sport for Denver in joining any all-sport conference is Basketball. I think Denver did about as well as it could related to conference strength and geography in joining the Summit.

I concede the point - Denver's sports offering don't match any conferences. My point was that the Summit League let Denver pass on the requirement to add sports. Other conferences were requiring that Denver add sports to become a member. UND had to add tennis to join the Big Sky. I believe that all Big Sky school all offer the same conference lineup for sports (NOTE: Softball just started in the conference, so not all schools support softball at this time).

Women's bball NDSU 2 home games over 1,000 (avg 742) ; UND all home games over 1,000 (1565 avg)

Volleyball: NDSU 1 game over 1,000 (avg 750) UND 7 games over 1,000 (avg 1131)

Men's basketball: NDSU Avg 2735, UND avg 1877

Bison fans love to make fun of UND in football attendance, but winning = attendance. Proof is in the numbers, plus nice to see great numbers in the Olympic sports.

There are two sports that most people care about, men's basketball and football. NDSU leads by a large margin in both.

The sad part about UND football attendance is they were advertising season tickets for about the same price as a ticket to one NDSU game and they could still only get about 6,000 fans a game. NDSU sold out all games in an hour and turned away 1500 season ticket requests. The Alerus couldn't even hold just the NDSU season ticket holders.

There are two sports that most people care about, men's basketball and football. NDSU leads by a large margin in both.

The sad part about UND football attendance is they were advertising season tickets for about the same price as a ticket to one NDSU game and they could still only get about 6,000 fans a game. NDSU sold out all games in an hour and turned away 1500 season ticket requests. The Alerus couldn't even hold just the NDSU season ticket holders.

Winning = attendance...see UND football 2001-2007.

UND's #1 sport will sell approximately 65,000 more home tickets than the ag school's #1 sport for 13-14. So keep tooting your horn if it makes you feel better.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before. Add up total tickets sold to UND sporting events versus total tickets to NDSUAAS sporting events. Add up total dollars spent on tickets to UND sporting events versus total dollars spent on tickets to NDSUAAS sporting events. Then get back to us.
  • Upvote 2

History does not agree with this.

The Summit historical high point is 2014, ranked as the 14th best conf (sagarin). Current Bracketology has Summit team with a 13 seed playing #4 Wisconsin. If the Summit can move up to a 12th seed, that 1st round game is starting to look interesting.

The Big Sky is ranked 25th. Current bracketology has the BSC entrant as a 16th seed playing #1 Arizona. ouch

Criticize the addition of Denver in the Summit all you want, but I'd take them any day, and ORU too. Both will keep the Summit in the top 1/2 of the conference rankings year in and year out.

Take Wichita out of the MVC, and the Summit 14, Horizon 13 and MVC 12 are pretty equal in 2014. Wichita boosts the MVC significantly however. The MVC is a 2 bid league if someone can knock off the Shockers in the tournament. Loyola not helping the MVC in 2014.

The Summit historical high point is 2014, ranked as the 14th best conf (sagarin). Current Bracketology has Summit team with a 13 seed playing #4 Wisconsin. If the Summit can move up to a 12th seed, that 1st round game is starting to look interesting.

The Big Sky is ranked 25th. Current bracketology has the BSC entrant as a 16th seed playing #1 Arizona. ouch

Criticize the addition of Denver in the Summit all you want, but I'd take them any day, and ORU too. Both will keep the Summit in the top 1/2 of the conference rankings year in and year out.

Take Wichita out of the MVC, and the Summit 14, Horizon 13 and MVC 12 are pretty equal in 2014. Wichita boosts the MVC significantly however. The MVC is a 2 bid league if someone can knock off the Shockers in the tournament. Loyola not helping the MVC in 2014.

No way in hell the SL gets a 12 seed, never happened when Valpo was there, and never will with the SU's and the ABC teams.

• Upvote 1

Then why were you 750,000 in the red last year?

I have a solution.

We fire our current staff of concessionaires at out sports venues. Then, we hire graduates of the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences to replace them. Of course, at much lower wages.

It's a win/win. We balance the budget. They finally get SOMETHING to put on their resumes.

Don't thank us. The flagship university in the state of North Dakota is always happy to help.

No way in hell the SL gets a 12 seed, never happened when Valpo was there, and never will with the SU's and the ABC teams.

Idk _arell, seems like a bold statement to say the Summit could never get a 12 seed. You are aware all it takes is one year for one team to be great right?

Really? I know dealing with actual facts gets in the way with your argument but the last 5 years disagree with you.

2013 - SDSU - 13 and Montana - 13

2012 - SDSU - 14 and Montana - 13

2011 - Oakland - 13 and UNC - 15

2010 - Oakland - 14 and Montana - 14

2009 - NDSU - 14 and Portland State - 13

I noticed the NDSUF fans didnt address this bit of info. Fact is that to the NCAA Selection Committee, our two leagues are the exact same. Seed the champion and move on to conferences that matter.

Idk _arell, seems like a bold statement to say the Summit could never get a 12 seed. You are aware all it takes is one year for one team to be great right?

Well _ohnboy, I am pretty confident that the SL won't get a 12. Even the great Oakland and ORU teams couldn't get a 12.

They sure put a lot of work into the low majors in that bracketology. Pick the current leader and give them a spot. Until the new ESPN bracketology came out yesterday, both conferences were slated for a 15 seed, but of course you weren't going to bring that up. When the actual committee does their seeding and look at why the RPI of the Summit is where it is and then look at their (lack of) top 100 wins, you are going to end up being disappointed.

And I like how you conveniently ignored your ignorance on the historical seeding of the conferences.

• Upvote 1

Well _ohnboy, I am pretty confident that the SL won't get a 12. Even the great Oakland and ORU teams couldn't get a 12.

_arell, why are you forgetting the J in my name? What will you do if NDSU somehow sneaks in a 12 this year? Perhaps upload a picture of yourself in a "Sioux Suck" shirt?

_arell, why are you forgetting the J in my name? What will you do if NDSU somehow sneaks in a 12 this year? Perhaps upload a picture of yourself in a "Sioux Suck" shirt?

If NDSU gets a 12 seed I will put the J back in your name _ohnboy. Don't forget to get a seed you need to win the SL Tournament, and before you think "no problem".....2009 was a long time ago.

Give NDSU's #1 sport the same amount of home games as UND's #1 sport and NDSU sells 75,000 more tickets than UND.

Give UND the same amount of capacity and UND still sells more tickets than NDSU. UND hockey in a 19,000 arena would be no problem to sellout.

Give NDSU's #1 sport the same amount of home games as UND's #1 sport and NDSU sells 75,000 more tickets than UND.

Therein lies the problem. You only have 6 home games to make all your money. As do all football programs.

Great hypothetical, though! I believe there are some posts above that you could address. :whistling: