SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice Breaker Tourney

AZSIOUX

Watching this game is like watching the last 4 games against BC. Sioux style is brute force, BC is finesse. BC has out manuevered and out passed the Sioux every time they have met. Sioux will never match up well against this style of passing and position play. Hak has not learned a thing the last 5 years. He is still a good and winning coach, but his style will not bring home a NCAA winner. York has shown him up again. I know I will catch hell about this comment, but you cannot argue with results.

Couldn't agree more - There is no way a team should own us - Hak has seen BC many times before - He needs to figure it out and soon - Time to get it done

I see a lot of "we're young" posters - well BC lost a lot too. Time to regain status as the best team in the country. Come on Hak

I'm a huge Mario Lamoureax fan, but he hasn't been on the powerplay for his entire career at UND. Hopefully just an experiment. :whistling:

I mean come on people....UND is such a young team....with young players.....the youth will hurt the Sioux for a while... :p

I didn't have a good feeling about this one, but glad that the Sioux know where they'll need to be at the end of the year to compete with the big boys.

I don't think I have a good feeling about next week against Maine. We haven't matched up well against Hockey East teams even when we do have pretty good teams. Not only talking about last year when we went to Maine but as well as the last time they visited Grand Forks and swept us. :crazy:

A split against Maine would be acceptable.

I have a feeling we'll see a completely different Fighting Sioux group on Friday against Maine. I think the coaching staff will challenge the team in practice this week, and I think we'll see a lot better cohesive unit defensively, and maybe some different line combos to spark some offense.

It'll be nice to see a full arena as well. Kind of disappointing to see a lot of green seats.

I can deal with having 10 freshmen on the ice and having to work through your lumps, but Blood and Forbort just might have been the two worst players in any of the four games (and I was at all four). You cannot have that kind of play out of those guys I don't care where you are in the season. Now, I'm not sure who's in charge of our breakout, but it doesn't work. Everybody we play is one pass and out of their own zone and on a rush. They send one forechecker in on our D and we end up having to throw the puck off the glass.

I can deal with having 10 freshmen on the ice and having to work through your lumps, but Blood and Forbort just might have been the two worst players in any of the four games (and I was at all four). You cannot have that kind of play out of those guys I don't care where you are in the season. Now, I'm not sure who's in charge of our breakout, but it doesn't work. Everybody we play is one pass and out of their own zone and on a rush. They send one forechecker in on our D and we end up having to throw the puck off the glass.

Agree with Forbort. Maybe he is hurt? He struggled against AFA and BC

I think it was a good lesson for the young guys. agree that our returners from last year need to play better...aka #4,#24.. also, thought the Sioux got lazy in a lot of the game with blind backhand passes on offense and allowing BC players to camp in the slot on Defense. the Sioux will be good this year, it just might take a little while. Every fan should be used to that scenario in the early season. Will they be good enough at the end of the year....? that's what matters.

I think it was a good lesson for the young guys. agree that our returners from last year need to play better...aka #4,#24.. also, thought the Sioux got lazy in a lot of the game with blind backhand passes on offense and allowing BC players to camp in the slot on Defense. the Sioux will be good this year, it just might take a little while. Every fan should be used to that scenario in the early season. Will they be good enough at the end of the year....? that's what matters.

If they are "good" at the end of the year, the problem is that they have to play BC - can't we ever figure them out? Every time this happens I tell myself "Hak will make adjustments next time" - so far - nothing

I disagree about Forbort... while he didnt play outstanding he was far from struggling...however simpson is a different story he was TERRIBLE...i mean six periods of terrible....he's our worst defensemen right now....if mattson and gleason werent playing so well together i would say put 5 with Mac....however Hak does it mattson needs more ice time>5 is our best defensemen right now!!!!

BC comes into our barn and embarasses us again. 6-2 I mean come on, that is pathetic. BC lost a ton of talent as well to early departures and graduation. So the "young" card does not stick. Sioux were playing at home. BC fans must just laugh when they see the Sioux on the schedule. This has really become flipping ridiculous!

• Upvote 1

I disagree about Forbort... while he didnt play outstanding he was far from struggling...however simpson is a different story he was TERRIBLE...i mean six periods of terrible....he's our worst defensemen right now....if mattson and gleason werent playing so well together i would say put him with Mac....however Hak does it mattson needs more ice time>5 is our best defensemen right now!!!!

Forbort wasn't good. Simpson wasn't either. I agree with you on that one. Luckily, this is game 2, and things will get better. This team could have scheduled a patsy like Sacred Heart or American International. These games build character. We will be ok.

The result was quite painful. But for 30+ minutes, I thought we deserved better than to be 2-2. Chemistry on finishing was missing or we might have been up 2-3 goals.

Looking at the boxscore for tonight http://collegehockey...es/mbc_ndk1.o08, and I would say its unfair to pin the blame for the outcome on any single player or line. Only 2 guys ended the night even or plus: Knight and Kristo, and it was not a particularly good game for them ... even though they created a lot of chances to be sure.

Grimaldi is worth the price of admission. His anticipation and quickness, even with an injury, are outstanding. He needs to be on a line with a couple finishers.

Eidsness was good.

We have a lot of work to do, especially defensive zone coverage where three of our lines got schooled tonight.

I predict a wholesale shakeup of line combinations for next weekend. Of course, I'm not really going out on a limb since the 3rd period was pretty much a wholesale shakeup of line combinations.

For the first time in a while, I'm disappointed in the turnout. Only 9400 for a marquee game vs Boston College?

Since 06, the Eagles have gone 4-0-1 against the Sioux, scoring twice as many goals and, in the last three complete games, have utterly embarrassed them. Since '99, their record against UND is 8-3-1. I think all the talk about this being an east/west "rivalry" is rather humorous.

It's clear that BC has been the premier team for the past 12 years; and their performance this weekend would suggest this year is going to be more of the same. I wish I didn't loath them so much, because they are actually fantastic to watch.

taz

Wow, people overreacting to an early season loss. Who would have thought. Probably the same ones that freaked out when we got throttled by Maine early last year, then thought there was no possible way the Sioux would lose to Michigan. Doesn't surprise me in the least, because these will be the same ones that are smack talking fans of other teams when things are going well.

Wow, people overreacting to an early season loss. Who would have thought. Probably the same ones that freaked out when we got throttled by Maine early last year, then thought there was no possible way the Sioux would lose to Michigan. Doesn't surprise me in the least, because these will be the same ones that are smack talking fans of other teams when things are going well.

I dont think people are overreacting. It is flat out embarrasing to get throttled by BC once again and this time in your own barn. It sucks to know they just lick their chops every time they play the Sioux

I dont think people are overreacting. It is flat out embarrasing to get throttled by BC once again and this time in your own barn. It sucks to know they just lick their chops every time they play the Sioux

Embarrasing for who? You? You're right I'm sure BC fans just laugh when we're on the schedule. That's not overreacting? UND had some lapses that hurt them during a four minute span, that is something that can be corrected, especially when they were coming from players that played integral roles in getting the Sioux to the Frozen Four. Ben Blood led the nation in plus/minus last year, and he made some mistakes. Aaron Dell didn't make a big save when we needed it like he did so often last year. Add to that some bad penalties and freshmen mistakes, and you have a recipe to lose to a very good BC team. I happen to think that all of the things that went wrong in this game can be turned around, but I don't expect it to be overnight. Either you believe in the building process that Hakstol espouses or you don't I happen to believe it, because I have seen it every year.

Funny you should mention that. I asked Jerry York that question tonight and this is what he had to say.

Boston College head coach Jerry York was asked why his teams have been so successful against the Fighting Sioux, “that’s probably misleading we have some terrific games. What’s effects me the most about the North Dakota is the rivalry east west, but when you play so many times at the national level. I think we have played 5 times since 2001 twice in the tournament, twice in the title game, so we have built a great respect for the Sioux and for that to continue to play them, they bring out the best in us and hopefully we bring out the best in them, in the early season it helps us get better.

Embarrasing for who? You? You're right I'm sure BC fans just laugh when we're on the schedule. That's not overreacting? UND had some lapses that hurt them during a four minute span, that is something that can be corrected, especially when they were coming from players that played integral roles in getting the Sioux to the Frozen Four. Ben Blood led the nation in plus/minus last year, and he made some mistakes. Aaron Dell didn't make a big save when we needed it like he did so often last year. Add to that some bad penalties and freshmen mistakes, and you have a recipe to lose to a very good BC team. I happen to think that all of the things that went wrong in this game can be turned around, but I don't expect it to be overnight. Either you believe in the building process that Hakstol espouses or you don't I happen to believe it, because I have seen it every year.

Only to crumble at tournament time.

• Upvote 1

Only to crumble at tournament time.

I guess we disagree on what constitutes crumbling! So is it your opinion we need a new coach or new players? Was Matt Frattin a choker, or Jason Gregoire? Because both of them had unbelievable point streaks going into the Michigan game. Exactly who do you put the blame on?

I miss Frattin and Malone :sad:

along with the above, I think it will they will begin missing the likes of Trupp, Marto, and mostly Lapoint, who was really bashed on many of these posts. Mostly I think it is very evident how much the above players contributed to the success of team hockey. Dell will be exposed this year as he was tonight. Eids played some exceptional, but forgotten hockey his first two years when he didnt have help and blueliners they had last year. I see Eids picking up where he left off 2 years ago. probably the stronger goalie under these conditions. Dells weaknesses may be exposed more this year without the play of pony line, Lapoint and Marto and others. I think the assumption that Blood, Simpson, and Forber were going to be enought to match last years defense is not going to happen,yet. They do not do the little things we saw last year which are not fancy but so so important.